• 5- Guy Lapointe
    • 12- Yvan Cournoyer
    • 18- Serge Savard
    • 19- Larry Robinson
    • 29- Ken Dryden
    • 33- Patrick Roy
    • Other - Mention below

Guest TORHABSFAN

Yes Retire Roys number on Oct 21 vs. the Av's.. BTW there are already a few threads about who number should be retired I think this is going to get locked.

I remember the day he took off, i was watching the game, it was against the Red Wings, and right off the start they got a breakaway and scored on Roy. That's all I remember. The next day he wanted out, and there was no way to stop him

We won't retire his Jersey.

Guest devils_fury2
I remember the day he took off, i was watching the game, it was against the Red Wings, and right off the start they got a breakaway and scored on Roy. That's all I remember. The next day he wanted out, and there was no way to stop him

We won't retire his Jersey.[/quote:ecc1ce5337]

I sort of remember that night too.....and believe me Roy had a good reason too be ticked off.....For one reason if I'm not mistaken we lost that game I believe it was 9 or 10-2 and our beloved coach at the time Mario Tremblay decided to keep him in the game even after he had already given up 7 goals I believe and it was a real embarrasing situation for Roy...and he walked up to owner Ronald Corey and told him he wanted out.....and then a few days later one of the worst trades in Montreal Canadien history happened.......I really hope Montreal and St. Patrick can get something worked out because it would really be a classy gesture on the part of the Habs...and with Roy being a Hall of Famer he deserves it.....I mean he won 2 Stanley Cups for us

Guest TORHABSFAN

We won't retire his Jersey.[/quote:567254e5fd]

I sort of remember that night too.....and believe me Roy had a good reason too be ticked off.....For one reason if I'm not mistaken we lost that game I believe it was 9 or 10-2 and our beloved coach at the time Mario Tremblay decided to keep him in the game even after he had already given up 7 goals I believe and it was a real embarrasing situation for Roy...and he walked up to owner Ronald Corey and told him he wanted out.....and then a few days later one of the worst trades in Montreal Canadien history happened.......I really hope Montreal and St. Patrick can get something worked out because it would really be a classy gesture on the part of the Habs...and with Roy being a Hall of Famer he deserves it.....I mean he won 2 Stanley Cups for us[/quote:567254e5fd]

It was 11-2 and he left Roy in for 9 goals!! Die Mario Die!!!

Guest leafsreallysuck

We won't retire his Jersey.[/quote:1a7169a4f9]

I sort of remember that night too.....and believe me Roy had a good reason too be ticked off.....For one reason if I'm not mistaken we lost that game I believe it was 9 or 10-2 and our beloved coach at the time Mario Tremblay decided to keep him in the game even after he had already given up 7 goals I believe and it was a real embarrasing situation for Roy...and he walked up to owner Ronald Corey and told him he wanted out.....and then a few days later one of the worst trades in Montreal Canadien history happened.......I really hope Montreal and St. Patrick can get something worked out because it would really be a classy gesture on the part of the Habs...and with Roy being a Hall of Famer he deserves it.....I mean he won 2 Stanley Cups for us[/quote:1a7169a4f9]

I'm with you, Corey's the worst thing that ever happened to the Habs. What a stupid move..... :roll:

Guest TORHABSFAN
I remember the day he took off' date=' i was watching the game, it was against the Red Wings, and right off the start they got a breakaway and scored on Roy. That's all I remember. The next day he wanted out, and there was no way to stop him

We won't retire his Jersey.[/quote:fa12fa02a7']

I sort of remember that night too.....and believe me Roy had a good reason too be ticked off.....For one reason if I'm not mistaken we lost that game I believe it was 9 or 10-2 and our beloved coach at the time Mario Tremblay decided to keep him in the game even after he had already given up 7 goals I believe and it was a real embarrasing situation for Roy...and he walked up to owner Ronald Corey and told him he wanted out.....and then a few days later one of the worst trades in Montreal Canadien history happened.......I really hope Montreal and St. Patrick can get something worked out because it would really be a classy gesture on the part of the Habs...and with Roy being a Hall of Famer he deserves it.....I mean he won 2 Stanley Cups for us[/quote:fa12fa02a7]

It was 11-2 and he left Roy in for 9 goals!! Die Mario Die!!! oh yeah also Ronald Corey was not the owner Molson was Corey was the Vice President.

Guest devils_fury2

We won't retire his Jersey.[/quote:cdfd922564]

I sort of remember that night too.....and believe me Roy had a good reason too be ticked off.....For one reason if I'm not mistaken we lost that game I believe it was 9 or 10-2 and our beloved coach at the time Mario Tremblay decided to keep him in the game even after he had already given up 7 goals I believe and it was a real embarrasing situation for Roy...and he walked up to owner Ronald Corey and told him he wanted out.....and then a few days later one of the worst trades in Montreal Canadien history happened.......I really hope Montreal and St. Patrick can get something worked out because it would really be a classy gesture on the part of the Habs...and with Roy being a Hall of Famer he deserves it.....I mean he won 2 Stanley Cups for us[/quote:cdfd922564]

It was 11-2 and he left Roy in for 9 goals!! Die Mario Die!!![/quote:cdfd922564]

I was close...but yeah it was really embarrasing and dumb on all fronts.......Tremblay, Corey and Montreals defence makin Roy look like a total fool......and in a way Roy as well..because if he had something to say he should have said it behind closed doors instead of making a scene like he did...was not a pleasent scene if u ask me

Guest devils_fury2
I remember the day he took off' date=' i was watching the game, it was against the Red Wings, and right off the start they got a breakaway and scored on Roy. That's all I remember. The next day he wanted out, and there was no way to stop him

We won't retire his Jersey.[/quote:a2195cd5ea']

I sort of remember that night too.....and believe me Roy had a good reason too be ticked off.....For one reason if I'm not mistaken we lost that game I believe it was 9 or 10-2 and our beloved coach at the time Mario Tremblay decided to keep him in the game even after he had already given up 7 goals I believe and it was a real embarrasing situation for Roy...and he walked up to owner Ronald Corey and told him he wanted out.....and then a few days later one of the worst trades in Montreal Canadien history happened.......I really hope Montreal and St. Patrick can get something worked out because it would really be a classy gesture on the part of the Habs...and with Roy being a Hall of Famer he deserves it.....I mean he won 2 Stanley Cups for us[/quote:a2195cd5ea]

It was 11-2 and he left Roy in for 9 goals!! Die Mario Die!!! oh yeah also Ronald Corey was not the owner Molson was Corey was the Vice President.[/quote:a2195cd5ea]

lol ok ok no need to correct me too much lol thats why I said I sorta remember it

Guest devils_fury2

We won't retire his Jersey.[/quote:7af2706d45]

I sort of remember that night too.....and believe me Roy had a good reason too be ticked off.....For one reason if I'm not mistaken we lost that game I believe it was 9 or 10-2 and our beloved coach at the time Mario Tremblay decided to keep him in the game even after he had already given up 7 goals I believe and it was a real embarrasing situation for Roy...and he walked up to owner Ronald Corey and told him he wanted out.....and then a few days later one of the worst trades in Montreal Canadien history happened.......I really hope Montreal and St. Patrick can get something worked out because it would really be a classy gesture on the part of the Habs...and with Roy being a Hall of Famer he deserves it.....I mean he won 2 Stanley Cups for us[/quote:7af2706d45]

I'm with you, Corey's the worst thing that ever happened to the Habs. What a stupid move..... :roll:[/quote:7af2706d45]

I dunno if he was the worst but right up there pretty close with GM Rejean Houle (who was a decent player....but one of the dumbest GMs ever in the NHL and Mario Tremblay who wouldn't have been a bad coach if he could have gotten along a little with his players and given them a little bit more respect

He shoul dbe in the Hall of Fame. His # should be retired by the Avalanche, but never by the Canadiens.[/quote:2b11744f60]

He will be this November

The Avs probably will retire his jersey , I mean # 33 did help them to their only Stanley Cups

The Canadiens probably not , though I think they should

Guest TORHABSFAN
He shoul dbe in the Hall of Fame. His # should be retired by the Avalanche, but never by the Canadiens.[/quote:c7afaeae61]

He will be this November

The Avs probably will retire his jersey , I mean # 33 did help them to their only Stanley Cups

The Canadiens probably not , though I think they should[/quote:c7afaeae61]

The Av's already retired his number. And I am sure we will too. I hope this year but I am sure they will by 2009.

But I mean, he left the Canadiens. he put himself before the team, and took out his conflict with Tremblay on his team. The fact that he won two cups here is major in any chance of his # being retired. But when he left, the demise of the Habs began. I think that is a period in time that could ruin the futur of our club, or at least drasticaly change it. it all goes back to that game against detroit, and when he turned around and said, its over.

Guest TORHABSFAN
Roys number should be retired, he was the greatest and for some threads I read above Roy did not desert the Habs, the Habs deserted him[/quote:0f63dfa71d]

Exactly and BTW Habs111 there are a few guys who's numbers are allready retired that also had rocky times with the Habs.. i.e Rocket and Boom Boom... People need to forget that whole thing it was a long time ago and it doesn't over shadow every thing else he did. How can we not honer the Greatest Goalie of All time?

Guest Kovalev #27

I think that the organization should do a good thing and retire his number.

Let's forget the things that happened in the past.

The fact that he helped us to win the cup speaks a lot.

He's also one of the greatest all time.

Guest leafsreallysuck

I dunno if he was the worst but right up there pretty close with GM Rejean Houle (who was a decent player....but one of the dumbest GMs ever in the NHL and Mario Tremblay who wouldn't have been a bad coach if he could have gotten along a little with his players and given them a little bit more respect[/quote:7ce604d525]

He's the one that put Houle, Tremblay and Cournoyer in place. That's the reason why I hold him responsible for that whole mess.

Oh and yeah we should retire Roy's number. Maybe not the most friendly guy out there but he did along with François Allaire revolutionize that position.

Guest Hab_in_Bermuda

I don't think Roy was the greatest of all time imo but I wouldn't mind if his number was retired. It doesn't have to be rushed though he has only retired in like 2003

Guest 60islove

yeah i agree, i think before we move onto Roy we should focus on the other players who deserve to have their number retired, which isn't to say HE doesn't deserve it - it's just i think we're jumping the gun if we proceed with imminence...yuh there are totally other players who should get their numbers hoisted pre-roy...

BUT if we were to retire the number of every worthy player..we'd have like 15 number left..which is why as such a great franchise our standards require the player to have been almost godlike...ahh complicated.

Guest habfan in leafland

I don't blame Roy... He said "Either Tremblay goes or I go."

I blame Rejean Houle who is right up there with Mike Milbury as the worst GM ever! Houle destroyed Les Glorieux with his stupid trades!!!

Guest habfan in leafland

Just because Roy was traded, his number should be retired by the Habs still. Not the same situation, but Jacques Plante's number was still retired despite being traded and finishing his career with the Bruins.

Guest leafsreallysuck
Yes, eventually...not soon tho...like most of you mentioned, they are plenty more players before him[/quote:4c39f215de]

Maybe so but it should happen while all of us old farts, who saw his whole carreer, are still around. 8)

Guest Pathabsfan

Roy should and will get his number retired. We cannot judge him for his exit only. That was Trenblay's fault and HE should have been fired and not Roy. Those day never got along from day 1. Roy was so good for so many yers and got us 2 cups and was MVP for both of them. For that alone, #33 should hang from the rafters. But put Larry's #19 first!