• 12- Yvan Cournoyer
    • 18- Serge Savard
    • 19- Larry Robinson
    • 29- Ken Dryden
    • 33- Patrick Roy
    • Other - Mention below

Guest Lafleurs Guy
Lafleurs Guy,

Good post and I'll agree with you that the discussion of the large equipement should perhaps be in another thread so let's drop that issue altoegther.

I am of the opinion, and many others may agree, that when the Av's move to Colorado, they were ready to win it all. If Thibault failed there was always Fiset but the Av's were too much for the Red Wings whether Roy was there or not. It would not have made a difference in the end because they were a legitimate contender.

I don't allow my animosity to cloud my objectivity because I have no animosity towards Roy. I only state my opinion, I don't hate the guy. None of us here knows the real guy just his public image so therefore I can't dislike the guy to the point that my objectivity is not correct. I simply believe that what he did to the franchise, hwich had long lasting repercussions, negates any good he ever did here and that time does not heal all wounds. Nor should it. If we retire somebody's number based on their worth to the organization then their ENTIRE history of conduct should be judged not just select deeds that were positive in his favor.

Good debate!!![/quote:33562facc9]

Fair enough,

As I said, I can certainly see why some people might not want his number retired.

Guest Pathabsfan

Maybe I'm biased, but I've got a number of classic habs games from 1958 to today and I must say that Roy was our star from '86-'96. And I do agree he did bend the rules on equipment but look how he did in his first 5 years... The number of games he stole is unreal. He had incredible skill. I just watched a game where Roy made 63 stops in '94 playoffs against Boston!!

And I agree that Roy was not THE reason the Av's won the cup in '96. They can thank all the draft picks from Eric Lindros for that!

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure if this has been posted before but i just read on another message board that...

The Canadiens in their season ticket package have announced they will retire two numbers in the coming season. One jersey will be retired on November 18 in a game against Atlanta, and the second number to be retired on January 29 against Ottawa.

Now Judging by past recent history on how the Canadiens do things, numbers and dates, is no coincidence. Nov 18, for #18 Serge Savard. Jan 29 for #29 Ken Dryden seems to be the logical 2 that everyone thinks the retired numbers will be

Im not sure if this has been posted before but i just read on another message board that...

The Canadiens in their season ticket package have announced they will retire two numbers in the coming season. One jersey will be retired on November 18 in a game against Atlanta, and the second number to be retired on January 29 against Ottawa.

Now Judging by past recent history on how the Canadiens do things, numbers and dates, is no coincidence. Nov 18, for #18 Serge Savard.  Jan 29 for #29 Ken Dryden seems to be the logical 2 that everyone thinks the retired numbers will be

You were right. :D Just saw the news on RIS.

I looked at Dryden's numbers and they are very impressive. 5 time Vezina winner in one decade is something nobody else can write home about I'm sure. I'm not sure Savard beats out Robinson though. It's all subjective and everybody has their own opinion but i think Robinson should have gone in before Savard for ON ICE value of course. Ultimately I don't care because all these guys deserve to and will get in so who cares what order they get in anyways?

I looked at Dryden's numbers and they are very impressive. 5 time Vezina winner in one decade is something nobody else can write home about I'm sure. I'm not sure Savard beats out Robinson though. It's all subjective and everybody has their own opinion but i think Robinson should have gone in before Savard for ON ICE value of course. Ultimately I don't care because all these guys deserve to and will get in so who cares what order they get in anyways?

Well any goalie will have impressive numbers with a team like the habs from the 70's. Thats why theres some people in media who think that they shouldnt retire his number right away.

Here's a few stats on Big Bird:

17 seasons with the Habs

1202 games

197 goals (most ever by a Habs d man)

686 assists (most ever by a Habs d man)

74,365,242 body checks

Most points (by a d man) ... most playoff games ... most consecutive playoff appearances ...

And his hair matched the uniform! There is no question that #19 should be retired next.

To me it is obvious that they are retiring the numbers in chronological order. They started with Moore, Cournyer and Boom Boom. They all retired in the early to mid seventies. This year is Dryden and Savard. Both retired in late seventies, early eighties. Next up is undoubtedly Robinson & Gainey. I think there are 2 other numbers that will be retired before the Centennial season. I'm going to wager that it will be Roy and Lapointe. Let the speculation begin!!

Wow ... tough call.

He led the Habs to 2 cups.

He leads all Hab goalies in playoff shutouts ... most saves in a playoff game ... most games played ... an unbelievable 29 game home ice undefeated streak ... the records go on and on ...

But he quit the team.

Absolutely the trio of Cory, Houle, and Tremblay were responsible (and wrong) ... but Patrick Roy quit the Montreal Canadiens.

How can you retire a guy's number who quits your team?

well first of all it wont be retired this year because Savard and Dryden will be retired.

Its a tough call if the habs should retire him, i think they will but i dont know if they should. His stats and numbers show that he is deserving of having the number retired, but he showed that he was not loyal to they franchise either. I just cant see myself looking up at all those great players and seeing a guy that quit the team. I know that it was not his fault for what had happened, and that the managment were idiots, but sometimes you just have to bit the bullet in those situations.

I also know guys like Plante and Lafleur, Geoffrion etc left the team and played with other teams but they did not quit they were traded or retired and came back to play with other teams, those were different situations. That is why they were retired. Because they were great players and showed their loyalty to the team for the whole time they play with them.

does anyone know which games they have scheduled for the Dryden and Savard # retirements this season?

November 18th against Atlanta they are retiring Savard and Jan 29th against the Senators they are retiring Dryden

To me it is obvious that they are retiring the numbers in chronological order. They started with Moore, Cournyer and Boom Boom. They all retired in the early to mid seventies. This year is Dryden and Savard. Both retired in late seventies, early eighties. Next up is undoubtedly Robinson & Gainey. I think there are 2 other numbers that will be retired before the Centennial season. I'm going to wager that it will be Roy and Lapointe. Let the speculation begin!!

I say Jarvis, Robinson Roy, Gainey, and Lapointe should all be retired before the Centennial season

Guest Eazy_Ryder
well first of all it wont be retired this year because Savard and Dryden will be retired.

Its a tough call if the habs should retire him, i think they will but i dont know if they should. His stats and numbers show that he is deserving of having the number retired, but he showed that he was not loyal to they franchise either. I just cant see myself looking up at all those great players and seeing a guy that quit the team. I know that it was not his fault for what had happened, and that the managment were idiots, but sometimes you just have to bit the bullet in those situations.

I also know guys like Plante and Lafleur, Geoffrion etc left the team and played with other teams but they did not quit they were traded or retired and came back to play with other teams, those were different situations. That is why they were retired. Because they were great players and showed their loyalty to the team for the whole time they play with them.

I think they should retire his # As for him quiting th eteam well I look at it like this...Playing hockey was his job....That makes coaches and Gm,s and Owners ect..his boss.. Now when you go to work and get treated badly all the time what doyou or can you do....I love the Canadiens BUT if I were playing for them (I could only wish)and I was miserable all the time I'm sorry but I would quit also....As a team if a player is unhappy he or she will only bring there mates down with them...