• 5- Guy Lapointe
    • 12- Yvan Cournoyer
    • 18- Serge Savard
    • 19- Larry Robinson
    • 29- Ken Dryden
    • 33- Patrick Roy
    • Other - Mention below

Guest Captain Koivu#11

I think next year they should finish off the Big Three with Robinson and Lapoint. Like someone else said, they should also retire Shutt and Gainey at one point or another.

Guest Habsters
I love the Canadiens BUT if I were playing for them (I could only wish)and I was miserable all the time I'm sorry but I would quit also....As a team if a player is unhappy he or she will only bring there mates down with them...

I am sorry but with the amount of money he was paid to play your argument does not wash!

If he was miserable (or you in his shoes) there was other avenues he could have followed, such as letting Houle know that if the opportunity presents itself to trade him to do it as he would not renew his contract when it ended.

That would have been better than what he did, right or wrong both sides handled it wrong but he made a bad situation worse by acting the way he did!

To quit on his teammates means that he did not care and if I had been Houle (good thing I was not) he would have been suspended with NO PAY! (remember he quit! and would not play anyway)

He would not have gone to Colorado which is where he wanted to go to in the first place for players that did not have the same value.

Houle jumped the gun IMO, some believe he was the greatest goalie and I dont deny that he one of the best clutch goalies ever, but he had some pretty good players with him in Colorado let's not forget that.

Roy's number will not be retired anytime soon, had he left in a better way I would say that yes they will eventually retire it but I just dont see it happening. Look at it this way every player who has had theyre number retired so far had no controversy everyone was in agreement the same can not be said for Roy.

I guess this should have been done a long time ago, but I've merged the thread asking if Patrick Roy's jersey should be retired with this one as it's being discussed here as well.

Guest Cenner Hice
Not entirely applicable, but I didn't want to start a new thread, and because we're talking about Savard......

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=178261&hubname=nhl

What did he do? And how can you backdate something like that? Surely if you're driving impaired, you get caught at the time.

Back to retiring numbers, has anyone noticed that Savard has the fewest votes in this poll? What do we mere fans understand, eh?

When I voted for Dryden (maybe I do know something about hockey afterall), I think he was leading the poll. I still think Charlie Hodge deserves mention (So I'm going to do it again).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chiapo

For the life of me... I can't understand why Larry Robinson's # hasn't been retired yet. Can someone 'splain this one to me?

#19.......Larry was one of the top 5 defencemen to ever play in the league... period!

He should also be brought back home...Vice Presidency, or better still... LR for Prez.

Guest TORHABSFAN
For the life of me... I can't understand why Larry Robinson's # hasn't been retired yet. Can someone 'splain this one to me?

#19.......Larry was one of the top 5 defencemen to ever play in the league... period!

He should also be brought back home...Vice Presidency, or better still... LR for Prez.

they getting there.. they are goin in order. Dryden and Savard retired before Ribinson so they're numbers are being retired befor Robinson. I would guess that Robinson would get in next year with someone else from the 70's. and then in 2008-2009 it will probably be Bob Gainey and Patrick Roy.

Guest TORHABSFAN
Do you think Steve Yzerman will have his # retired this year?

It's just not right... the way the Habs do things.

Yeah Yzerman probably will get his number retired this year.

You really can't compare the 2 though. The Habs are a totaly diffrent animal all togther. Much more history and Tradition. Having your number retired by the Habs is a far greater honor than having it retired by any other team. part of the reason is because they wait so long. I am sure they have many reasons for this. ! is becasue theyre have been soo many great that they want to be extra selective and not just retire them all. another is the test of time. Alot of players are huge as soon as there carear is over. But witch ones can survive the test of time. Witch players legends actually grow as time goes on. Those are the ones that are extra special.

I understand your frustration and It bothers me that the Av's have retired #33 and we have not. But I think it will be that much more special once they do. Also the way Montreal does the retiremnts of the Jerseys is like nothing else in all of sports. No other orgaziatrion can match this.

Also it could be worse they could be like the Leafs and not do the jersey retiremnt thing at all and just "honor" numbers.

Guest TORHABSFAN
Congrats to Dryden and to Savard.  

hope they don't forget about the other eras though, cause we rocked more than just the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they are done with all the decades before. they have done Morenz, Harvey, Richard, Richard, Geoffrion, Belivue and Moore. all those players had an impact on other decades. At this point I would guess that you have Robinson and Lapointe or Shutt for next year. and in 2008-2009 it will probably be Gainey and Roy.

Guest chiapo

I guess you're right. It is a great tradition. It just bothers me that Larry is not in there... top five ever!!!

I should be more positive. looking forward to his moment.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading some stuff on the Bulldogs and apparently in Hamilton Andrei Kostitsyn wears 23, but in Montreal he wears 46 because 23 is a no-no in Montreal despite not being officially retired. There are some numbers that are "unofficially" retired because no one can or would wear them. Even though 33 is not raised to the rafters and who knows if it will be, nobody is going to wear it again. I can't remember seeing someone wearing 19 either. Does the team prevent players from picking numbers that aren't officially retired? Can anyone list some other "unofficially" retired numbers?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TOHABSfan16

The lads always seem to play well whenever the club retires someone's number. Maybe they should aim for more than two or three a year and do it closer to playoff time in must win games :D Of course with this plan all the new players will have jerseys in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s :D as all the low numbers will be retired! Good start to the seasons boyos keep it up and congrats Serge on a great career and on having your number retired tonight. Go Habs!

The lads always seem to play well whenever the club retires someone's number.  Maybe they should aim for more than two or three a year and do it closer to playoff time in must win games :D  Of course with this plan all the new players will have jerseys in the 60s 70s 80s and 90s :D as all the low numbers will be retired!  Good start to the seasons boyos keep it up and congrats Serge on a great career and on having your number retired tonight.  Go Habs!

Look what I found in the Hot Topics! :D

Guest Alastair[LighT]

I think #33 shouldn't just be retired by Montreal, but by the entire league!

Roy is the best goalie ever!

Although, Martin Brodeur is pretty good too. It's certainly either Roy or Brodeur for the best goalie ever (in my opinion at least). I'd still pick Roy over Brodeur though.

Having said that, I know a lot of you might think I'm crazy, but I really think Huet is playing amazing and would give Roy and Brodeur a run for their money.

If Huet were younger, or plays until he's very old (at the same level he's playing now) then he could start his own legacy of one of the greatest goalies of all time. I'd love to see Huet when he's 45 still being the best goalie =D