The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Football (Soccer) in Europe

Guest ribz&ryder_connexion

Guest sheffield_steelers
Alright fun time is MOSTLY over for me. The 4 stars is great but now we have club issues. Juve in C1 and Milan, Lazio, Fiorentina in B. I think Serie B will be more exciting to watch :roll: Therefore I shall put my feelings for La Nazionale aside and continue my support for IL GRANDE MILAN. Haha Juve got OWNED :D [/quote:607878c5b4]

Its not gonna be so serious. You have to realize that this is the prosecutor asking the judge. My feeling is we are gonna see a team or two in the 2nd division, and about 2 teams having points deducted heavily (20-30pts and ban on europe for 1-2 years).

As for the french thread still going, you have to look inside it to see whats going it.

Also a note on the Italian league scandal. On www.datasport.it it is published the announcement that because of the high amount of paperwork and discussions which has to be processed, an announcement on the penalties issued is only going to be made earliest thursday night and latest friday. Which means Monday morning early right LOL...

This raises a lot of problems concerning the participation in international competitions for italians clubs. Don't be suprised if you see only a few italian clubs registering for internationalcompetitions (basically Inter and Roma).

Interesting turn of events to say the least...cose now clubs have 30 days to protest and appeal to the court against the penalties ordered, but that date will fall after the 27th of July date set by UEFA for clubs registering for international competitions.

take care,

G[/quote:607878c5b4]

I know I may sound stupid, but please could you tell me what the allegations actually are and what the clubs did. All i have heard is there's been corruption, etc.?

thanks

I know I may sound stupid, but please could you tell me what the allegations actually are and what the clubs did. All i have heard is there's been corruption, etc.?

thanks[/quote:3f25f99102]

Ok. I'm going to try my best because it's a tad complicated. "Calciopoli" or the Italian Football Scandal started when the government (I think) recorded telephone conversations with former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi assigning refs to certain games.

Apparently Milan, Lazio, Fiorentina did the same just not as much as Juve as you can see. Milan only assigned one and I think I might know which match it is. As for Lazio and Fiorentina, they assigned more refs therefore making their punishment much more harsh.

As for Juventus they got the worst because it'sbeen going on for years and years. They got relegated to Serie C1 with a deduction of -15 pointsd and risk having their last two titles stripped from them.

This, of course, will all be determined in the next few days.

Guest mateus

they have not yet been relegated and the governement has not been recording for years and years.

wait for the official statement before throwing a parade R&R

-Matt

Guest 60islove

whoever throws a parade (not making any insinuations here Joe...don't bite my head off yet) is someone who has no national pride. Having grown up in a household where my father was a devout milan fan it's really strange how i've been a juventina since i could remember. I don't know what it was about the team - i just love it - and with Bianconeri fandom comes a distinct hatred for AC Milan, Perhaps (hard for me to say) the only club that juventus should worry about.

It is a sad time for italian soccer, for EVERYONE and EVERYTHING that touches soccer, whether you're Serie C2 or Serie A...every team is affected. This scandal has tainted the good name of Calcio and i as a juve fan am ashamed to know that my club of choice is a part of this scandal. I am sad because of the charges we face and all but i am enraged that we are being punished that the players are being punished because Moggi & Co decided they were bigshots and had little faith in the abilities of thier roster.

It's not like they didn't have a spectacular slew of names on that list either.

What enrages me even more so is that fact that some people are happy to see Juve or Milan or Viola go to a lower Serie...i think that if you're a soccer fan you should mourn the loss of these power houses...for what will Serie A be without Milan and Juventus battling it out on the pitch? Does it really make you happy? I know i hate the Leafs but if i were to see them go i would be sad, i would mourn the loss of a rivalry, something that defines MY team...like the Juve/Milan rivalry does. It defines those teams as Titans and i will willingly admit that " Heck yeah i worry when AC plays Juve...because i know im in for a game, a great game and that Juve doesn't have the huge advantage...its even and its dangerous. It's real".

I just thinnk that every italian soccer fan is in the same boat right now...EVERYONE of us...and i pray that the officials will be inspired by the WC to consider otherwise...because i dont know if the Italian league can survive the loss of so many powerhouses all at once...and that my friends is horrible. So i guess i'm proposing a peace offering (temporary) between teams, because even though everyon thinks juve is the biggest baddest one of all, we have no proof saying that every othe one of these teams hasn't been doing it just as long and as often as juventus. They were just more unconspicuous.

Per Favore, basta le retrocessione!!!!! Tutti le squadre rimangono in A!!!!!!! Anche il Milan Joe :wink:

Per Favore, basta le retrocessione!!!!! Tutti le squadre rimangono in A!!!!!!! Anche il Milan Joe :wink: [/quote:14ee74ddb0]

Sam although you're right no teams will say in A. Face it, relegation is the only way and even then some teams (*cough cough Milan & Lazio cough*) never learn. So I'm happy Milan is getting relegated because maybe then it'll knock some sense into them. Yes I will miss the rivalries for but it's the only way. Don't bite my head off, but even you know Juve needs to be relegated what have I been telling you all these years?

Whatever... whatever happens happens. FOR THE SAKE OF SOCCER/FOOTBALL!

Guest sheffield_steelers

thanks[/quote:019eb854ef]

Ok. I'm going to try my best because it's a tad complicated. "Calciopoli" or the Italian Football Scandal started when the government (I think) recorded telephone conversations with former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi assigning refs to certain games.

Apparently Milan, Lazio, Fiorentina did the same just not as much as Juve as you can see. Milan only assigned one and I think I might know which match it is. As for Lazio and Fiorentina, they assigned more refs therefore making their punishment much more harsh.

As for Juventus they got the worst because it'sbeen going on for years and years. They got relegated to Serie C1 with a deduction of -15 pointsd and risk having their last two titles stripped from them.

This, of course, will all be determined in the next few days.[/quote:019eb854ef]

Thanks for that mate, I understand it better now. I think it's so stupid of the teams to do that and nothing like that should be tollerated, but it's sad to see those teams leave the top league. It's like the Premiership losing Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool I guess.

Guest 60islove

You haven't been telling me nothing all these years besides : Juve sucks!

I agree that would Juventus has done is horrible and i think they should be punished, but strip their titles and fine them and then add point dedcutions but keep them in A.

Relegation teaches nothing my friend...and besides all the poison is gone from the team...we dont have a Ref-fixing soul on our committee anymore.

PS. The only difference between Juve and the other clubs is we got busted.

They're all doing it but Juventus is like the bad kid in school sitting in the principle's office - who you're both scared of and so desperate to be.

Guest Shutoutfan
The club has ruled out any possibility of selling Cristiano Ronaldo this summer, insisting United will "not listen to any offers" for the 21-year-old winger.

A United statement on Wednesday said: "Manchester United has noted the increasing media speculation over the future of Cristiano Ronaldo.

"The Club can confirm there is no possibility of Cristiano being sold. He recently signed a new contract until 2010 and the Club fully expects him to honour that contract.

"The Club will not listen to any offers for Cristiano," the statement added.

"Ronaldo is one of the brightest young stars in world football as demonstrated by his performances at the World Cup and Manchester United is not in the business of selling their best young players."

I think it could be a nice time for him after his holidays. But I also don't believe that this was the last word. Rooney and Ronaldo will never become friends again.

You haven't been telling me nothing all these years besides : Juve sucks!

I agree that would Juventus has done is horrible and i think they should be punished, but strip their titles and fine them and then add point dedcutions but keep them in A.

Relegation teaches nothing my friend...and besides all the poison is gone from the team...we dont have a Ref-fixing soul on our committee anymore.

PS. The only difference between Juve and the other clubs is we got busted.

They're all doing it but Juventus is like the bad kid in school sitting in the principle's office - who you're both scared of and so desperate to be.[/quote:ab8697d00f]

Hahahaha Sam I wouldn't go that far, but I wouldn't stop so early either.

There's another scandal that rocked Italy in the 80s called Toto Nero, where players were involved. Just google the term and see what you can find. Here is what I found as an excerpt on thetimes.co.uk, on TOTO NERO:

t is futile to make comparisons with 1982, when Paolo Rossi came out of mothballs to score six times in the World Cup finals in Spain, having been amnestied from the final 12 months of a three-year suspension, imposed for his involvement in the so-called Toto Nero fiasco, when platoons of leading Italian players were found guilty of taking bribes to fix games.

By the time it came to the 1982 World Cup, more than a couple of years had passed since the scandal broke.

Now we seem scarcely at the start of one as bad or worse, even if it involves clubs and referees, rather than footballers.

Why I feel it's worst it is because frankly, it envolves clubs and it envolves ppl that shouldn't have done such a thing. I would go a bit extreme, but consider it like a cancer for Italian football, and how do you erase a cancer, well you scrap it from its roots. IMO ppl like Moggi and Galiani and even Berlusconi (yeah I am a Milan fan but I hate Silvio since he entered politics) should not be running these clubs. For Berlusconi IMO is a huge contrast and combines two things so different. Football and politics...and boy, remeber 1994 when he used every Milan fanshop in Italy to promote his new party in power Forza Italia? How lame is that, associate Milan with politics...same associate Juve with Moggi...and you've got this scandal. Lemme just ask you a simple marketing question (which as far as I know is a huge NONONO in marketing): What happens when you associate a winning brand with an unknown political/financial venture which might fail? Who suffers more??? The winning brand or the ailing political party?

I adored the association you made with Juve being the kid whos always in the principal office...it was not quite like that, Juve was way over the principal (Lega Calcio in this case), Juve was controling the league, and with Milan, Juve was controlling financially the league. You only have to remeber the hugeeeeee financial scandal last year for the TV rights, where the big teams wanted to sell it seperatly to a channel owned 50-50% by them LOL.

But I wouldn't go that far with relegating Juve to Serie C. As u can see, the problems are already there. Capello is gone, Mutu is off, Canavarro is close to leaving, all the guys will be leaving. If Juve, Milan are relegated, it will take them years before they come back to Serie A, years before they can field a decent UEFA/Champs League team, years before any european silverware is gonna happen again for Italian football.

So in my humble opinion, enjoy these days...this win is huge, we won't see anymore of it for the next 5-10 years. Unfortunatly...power is moving to England and Spain. Not that is bad...

Yours,

G

Guest mateus

Sam i agree with you on one point only: the rivalry

i share that same feeling, the superliga wouldnt be the same without Benfica or Porto.

but i see this relegation more as a bonus to italian football than a downfall.

in the past years the portuguese league has become more competitive(bear with me here). the champ is no longer winning by 20 points and the top three(sporting, benfica and porto) are no longer taking 15-20 point advantages over the "lesser" teams.

the title is often only given out in the last day and that makes for a more exciting game! and season!

with the italian powerhouses demoted alot of good can come out of this. the likes of your "lesser" teams now have room to develop and lets face it, with juve and inter(if im not mystaken) gone for a season(still awaiting the verdict) AC in the target. i would be sweating as an AC fan right now caus the competition could be hotter than they think.

all in all yes Juve got caught and others do it. lets just hope people wake up and stop doing that sorta stuff to win games!

after all...if you can buy the refs? why buy the talent as well? :?

-Matt

Guest Sainte-Flanelle11
Sam i agree with you on one point only: the rivalry

i share that same feeling, the superliga wouldnt be the same without Benfica or Porto.

but i see this relegation more as a bonus to italian football than a downfall.

in the past years the portuguese league has become more competitive(bear with me here). the champ is no longer winning by 20 points and the top three(sporting, benfica and porto) are no longer taking 15-20 point advantages over the "lesser" teams.

the title is often only given out in the last day and that makes for a more exciting game! and season!

with the italian powerhouses demoted alot of good can come out of this. the likes of your "lesser" teams now have room to develop and lets face it, with juve and inter(if im not mystaken) gone for a season(still awaiting the verdict) AC in the target. i would be sweating as an AC fan right now caus the competition could be hotter than they think.

all in all yes Juve got caught and others do it. lets just hope people wake up and stop doing that sorta stuff to win games!

after all...if you can buy the refs? why buy the talent as well? :?

-Matt[/quote:62b9a9c8a0]

Not Inter.

Guest mateus

thx for the correction

i dont exactly know which 4 clubs it is again, i just know that it will help the lesser clubs to imrpove and seize the oppertunity to turn the competition atound.

-Matt

Guest Sainte-Flanelle11

Juventus, AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio.

Probably will make the Serie A much more competitive. But as a Milan fan I don't wanna see it happen.

Guest mateus

youd be surprised mate

as a sporting fan i wished theyd win the cup and uefa championship every year loll

but ive enjoyed getting the losses or even ties from teams like estrela de amadora or even sproting braga.

it really makes for an excitting finish and GOOD football!

as a fan, youll see youll enjoy it

-Matt

If they go down Inter Milan will walk it next year.[/quote:5cd8d7bb11]

HA! And if they don't they're just proving that they're even more pathetic :D

Big Rossoneri fan here...

I wont say much about the scandal, all I'll say is that if Milan get relegated, my summer will be partially ruined, thats for sure. :D (Not to mention when the season starts, but thats when the habs play.)

Having said that, if Juve get relegated and Milan dont, well that would be one happy day. :D The only bad that can come out of it for milan fans is that if they are to win the scudetto people will say "oh you only won because juve isnt here bla bla bla....".

I hear the verdict will be out in a few days. What do you guys think will happen? What are the chances of each team being relegated (especially milan and juve) ?

Im nervous. :D

Big Rossoneri fan here...

I wont say much about the scandal, all I'll say is that if Milan get relegated, my summer will be partially ruined, thats for sure. :D (Not to mention when the season starts, but thats when the habs play.)

Having said that, if Juve get relegated and Milan dont, well that would be one happy day. :D The only bad that can come out of it for milan fans is that if they are to win the scudetto people will say "oh you only won because juve isnt here bla bla bla....".

I hear the verdict will be out in a few days. What do you guys think will happen? What are the chances of each team being relegated (especially milan and juve) ?

Im nervous. :D[/quote:0ef781dd2c]

Get ready to buy Milan-Lazio tickets for Serie B. I think I'm the biggest Milan fan in Montreal and I still say we're getting relegated. It might be the best thing because it serves the managment right. SO now that's 3 times we went in Serie B (if we get it which we will). '81, '83, '06.

Guest 60islove

wow.

i'm just going to quite about soccer here and go somewhere where people acutally have lived the sport and can appreciate it...even the milan board is showing support for the juventus fans. in italy we stand united - it's awesome how people usually at each others throats are fighting for a common cause...keeping serie a intact, real fans know what this will do...more than i can say for here...this whole farce of people being happy is repulsing so i'm just going to shut up now and let you people pretend to be calcio fans.

-Sixty out.

sempre juventina ma anche granda tifosa dell'calcio italiano e così tifosa di tutti squadre!

Inghiottire le nostre differenze per che deve stare in piedi unito o denunziare il suo buon nome di tifoso!

Guest mateus

proud to be portuguese bella

if that means sporting, porto and benfica have a better shot at a champions league title then so be it!

FORCA SPOOOOOOOOOOORTING!!!

-Matt

wow.

i'm just going to quite about soccer here and go somewhere where people acutally have lived the sport and can appreciate it...even the milan board is showing support for the juventus fans. in italy we stand united - it's awesome how people usually at each others throats are fighting for a common cause...keeping serie a intact, real fans know what this will do...more than i can say for here...this whole farce of people being happy is repulsing so i'm just going to shut up now and let you people pretend to be calcio fans.

-Sixty out.

sempre juventina ma anche granda tifosa dell'calcio italiano e così tifosa di tutti squadre!

Inghiottire le nostre differenze per che deve stare in piedi unito o denunziare il suo buon nome di tifoso![/quote:4080974d24]Oh please....wah wah wah wah

My team is also getting relegated so why the hell should I be worrying about juve?