The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

''The Detroit Tigers are set to acquire right-hander Edwin Jackson from the Tampa Bay Rays for outfielder Matt Joyce, according to a major-league source.''

Apparently it's a done deal. I don't know much about Joyce, but I've read he's very solid defensively and should put up .275 with 15-20 HR's. I guess it's a good deal for TB since they had a hole in RF, and they already had plenty of young arms.

Yankees just offered Burnett 5/90!!!

I'm running out of alcohol.

I won't be surprise for a minute the day the salary cap of the yankees reaches 500 million a year.

Eventually the tv revenues are gonna come down and George Steinbrenner is gonna be in trouble.

For a guy who paid his baseball team 10 million back in the days, he sure doesn't mind about spending his money lol.

275 millions there (Rodriguez) 189 millions there (Jeter) 161 millions there (Sabathia) 120 millions there (Giambi)

I mean that's just crazy lol, especially that Jeter is only a year older than Rodriguez and he's looking at an extension for next year, and as of captain of the Yankees, he sure won't take a paycut, so he'll be looking at another contract of 200 millions easily.

The Yankees signed Burnett to a 5 year 82.5 million dollar deal, it was reported a little bit ago by ESPN.

I get out of school by the end of April, and if hes a probable pitcher for the series on May 12-14 in Toronto, I am going to go out there, bring a bag of fake dollar bills, and chuck it at him when he comes out during the bottom of the first.

I have no problems with him going for more money, but after being on the Jays all these years, and knowing how we have such a tough time competeting with NY and Boston because they buy good teams, its just disgusting.

The Red Sox don't just buy a good team they have a lot of home-grown talent. Pedroia, Youkilis, Ellsbury, Lowrie, Papelbon, Masterson, Lester, Delcarmen, Bowden and Buchholz were all drafted by the Sox. They traded for Beckett and Lowell their blue-chip prospect Hanley Ramirez. Now they added some bullpen help with Ramon Ramirez when they dealt away Coco Crisp who they also got for prospects in after 2005. The Red Sox are not a team full of free agents. They even traded for Varitek when he was still in the minors. The Sox have one of the better farm systems and look at some prospects they traded away in the last few years. Nearly everyone made his way. Hanley Ramirez (a perennial MVP candidate), Kelly Shoppach, David Murphy, Brandon Moss, Kason Gabbard, Cla Meredith, Freddy Sanchez (won a batting title), Craig Hansen and Annibal Sanchez all became major leaguers.

The Red Sox don't just buy a good team they have a lot of home-grown talent. Pedroia, Youkilis, Ellsbury, Lowrie, Papelbon, Masterson, Lester, Delcarmen, Bowden and Buchholz were all drafted by the Sox. They traded for Beckett and Lowell their blue-chip prospect Hanley Ramirez. Now they added some bullpen help with Ramon Ramirez when they dealt away Coco Crisp who they also got for prospects in after 2005.

They got Coco for Andy Marte, whom they got from the Braves for Renteria (UFA signing) after eating a lot of Renteria's salary, so that's an example of them using their significant resources.

Kelly Shoppach was also part of that deal and he was a good Sox prospect and turned out way better than Marte. ;)

Yes, he did, but at the time Marte was way more highly thought of than Shoppach and was the center piece of the deal. Baseball Prospectus ranked him (Marte) as the best prospect in the world. He was incredibly highly thought of at the time.

Hindsight is a powerful tool, but at the time Marte was far and away the center piece of that trade.

The fourth team in for Fucal is the Braves, according to Ken Rosenthal. Kinzer told Rosenthal the Braves are "in deep" and Furcal is seriously considering their offer. Rosenthal believes it's a three-year offer with a vesting option. Rosenthal spoke to an exec who felt the same as Joel Sherman, that Furcal does not want to sign with the A's.

The fourth team in for Fucal is the Braves, according to Ken Rosenthal. Kinzer told Rosenthal the Braves are "in deep" and Furcal is seriously considering their offer. Rosenthal believes it's a three-year offer with a vesting option. Rosenthal spoke to an exec who felt the same as Joel Sherman, that Furcal does not want to sign with the A's.

The Braves official site makes it sound as if this is a done deal pending a physical. I suppose this is the end of Yunel in ATL.

I get out of school by the end of April, and if hes a probable pitcher for the series on May 12-14 in Toronto, I am going to go out there, bring a bag of fake dollar bills, and chuck it at him when he comes out during the bottom of the first.

I have no problems with him going for more money, but after being on the Jays all these years, and knowing how we have such a tough time competeting with NY and Boston because they buy good teams, its just disgusting.

AJ is a great competitor the Jays will miss his arm, im a reds fan but were in canada and see so much of the Jays that its alittle dissapointing to see him leave because like you say they have enough trouble competing with the big dogs of the AL east,

msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8954110/Sources:-Furcal-picks-Dodgers-over-Braves

I guess thats strike 3 for Atlanta, Peavy, Burnett and now Furcal.

AJ is a great competitor the Jays will miss his arm, im a reds fan but were in canada and see so much of the Jays that its alittle dissapointing to see him leave because like you say they have enough trouble competing with the big dogs of the AL east,

Thing is hes really not a competetitor at all, I can't count how many times he would walk the bases loadd with a 3 run lead, or completely blow away 5-7 run leads like it was nothing.

That guy got up only for Red Sox and Yankee games and thats it, he was the most screwed up mentally, inconsistent pitcher I've ever seen, which is why he will never have a good ERA or WHIP even with his high 90's heater and his dazzling #2.

I saw that, this has been a tough offseason.

The Burnett and Furcal things could end up being a bit lucky in the end, one guy who's had arm problems and the other who just had major back surgery for 3-5 years are tough. In the end though, we needed to make a move and we still do maybe we can bring some respectability back to our organization. Peavy hurts but it's hard to be too angry there because apparently the Padres were just being ridiculous, asking for a package, than when we'd be willing to do it going back and asking for more and more, seems like they burnt their bridges with the Cubs as well.

We were a prestige franchise in this league for a lot of years, and that has obviously come to an end, with the financial uncertainty, the uncertainty of Bobby's future and just the fact we haven't come close to the playoffs in 3 seasons.

What do you think about a guy like Ben Sheets, freak? I haven't seen that much of the guy and I know he's had his arm problems but he's been a better pitcher than AJ his whole career and just been stuck on a crappy team, would he be worth a chance though?

FYI for you Roy, baseball-reference.com = god for looking stuff up

Lets look at this stat, 1428 IP, 1206 K, 313 walks!!!!

He allowed 160 homers over that span though, I'm not sure if its park adjusted or not (Brewers have what kind of park, pitchers, hitters?)

When healthy hes great, but I think he takes arbitration from Milwaukee, tries to put together a healthy year and gets a big contract next offseason, thats barring someone doesn't try something stupid right now which is probably what him and his agent are waiting for.

Expecting more than 150 innings isn't realistic though if he is signed, otherwise great ERA, WHIP and K/BB across the board.

Scratch my last post

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/base...a.ap/index.html

"We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him," Red Sox owner Henry said. "After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."

Apparently some other team went OVER 22 years per for 8 years.

Damn you liver, you shall live to die another day I suppose.