The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

MLB

roy_133

If any team IS offering that much I suspect it's Washington because it's not New York and I'm almost positive it's not the Angels or O's.

HOWEVER it could just be them playing "the game" with Boras, didn't they do something similar with Dice K when they had exclusive negotiating rights?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any team IS offering that much I suspect it's Washington because it's not New York and I'm almost positive it's not the Angels or O's.

HOWEVER it could just be them playing "the game" with Boras, didn't they do something similar with Dice K when they had exclusive negotiating rights?

Ya because he was threatening to make Dice-K go make to Japan and they would have lost that huge posting fee for them to talk to him.

They called the bluff on Damon signing in New York too, didn't work.

Who the hell were they paying for last season? :blink:

Giambi 23 million

Abreu 16 mill

Pettitte 16 mill

Mussina 11

Pavano 11

Farnsworth 6

So that's around 85 million right there...

They sign manny at like 20-22 mil they're still under last years payroll.

I'm slowly fading into insanity.

I thought I had heard somewhere you can only sign 3 Type A free agents in one offseason... Can anyone confirm?

To Roy, I believe you can up to 3 Type A's, however you can sign an extra Type A for every one you lose, and low and behold, Bobby Abreu is a type A.

But they didn't offer him arbitration which is what they needed to do to sign an extra type A. The good news about the Teixeira signing is, they'll most likely have no room for Pujols in 2011. Without a doubt is Teixeira a great player. But he's no Hall of Famer but he got a contract like a HoF player.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Andruw might be going back to Atlanta. During the season he expressed great interest in finishing his career in Atlanta and with the search for a new team and a possible buyout/dump trade by the Dodgers, Atlanta is a huge possiblity.

Also David O Brien had this on Lowe and the Braves:

If the Braves were willing to throw that kind of money at a pitcher as injury-plagued and relatively unaccomplished as Burnett, then shouldn’t they make at least a four-year-plus-option offer at a similar average salary for Lowe?

• 2 weeks later...
Looking forward to baseball season. But as much a Yankee fan I am, Im tired of seeing the steinbrenners throw truckloads of money around like they are. And their problems stay the same. Pitching. The pitchers they do have are getting old.

Well you DID sign CC Sabathia and AJ Burnett, and Wang comes back from injury and you have Hughes and Chamberlain.

Life could be worse for you guys.

Yeah. Just hope theres chemistry. Paying for an allstar team is 1 thing. Playing like one is another.

What chemistry? Its a baseball team, what chemistry do you need in baseball, its just consecutive hitter vs batter matchups, maybe from the CF to the corner outfielders, the double-play tandem, the pitcher catcher relationship, but its nowhere close to other sports in that regard.

But there is still some. Look at how many players the yankees have bought within recent years. And its been 7 years since their last championship. They pay a 1/4 billion dollars for a guy like A-Rod who has great stats during the season, but goes home as soon as the playoffs start. They buy all these big name players and throw bags of money at them and they still lose. While you got teams like the Rays who dont spend the same amount of cash and actually get to the series with a team of decent players instead of a team of all stars who choke.

Thats my main point. Its like the joke about getting a ferrari. A car that goes from 0-60 in 4 seconds, yet its always in the shop. While the neighbor with the sedan has no problems.