The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

I'd rate myself a casual baseball fan but I still find it upsetting those stats are being 'tainted'. Even if 50% of the league is on steroids, a steroid user has an unfair advantage over the remaining players that aren't on steroids. That's a big deal when you consider a juiced Bonds vs. an unjuiced pitcher.

As for the stats being comparable I don't think that's necessarily the case. Ballparks have changed so much, and were never standardized in the first place. Bonds, McGuire and Sossa had some pretty small ballparks to work with. There's also the rise of relief pitching, better fielders and an overall higher level of play.

Finally, baseball has changed the height and location of the pitchers mound several times over many decades to try and keep a reasonable balance between offense and defense. It strikes me that a sport with so much history has changed so much but there is so much resistance to even minor changes within a league like the NHL.

Hank Aaron was on amphetamine before every game and so did Mays I believe. How do we know someone like McInnis wasn't juicing or Mario Lemiuex? Every athlete at every time is suspicious of taking PED's and frankly I could care less, its their body let them screw it up if they want to.

Records are completely meaninglees though because of the era they are in, Crosby is good enough to break the single-season point record if you use his stats in comparison to the league average, but they don't and because the goalies opened their legs wide for Gretzky during his time.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know from reading here that some of you are Braves fans, and I don't mean any disrespect. I am sure that you probably follow baseball more than I do, but I have to ask one question that has been nagging me for some time now. Why do so many people continue to call Bobby Cox a great manager? If I am not mistaken didn't the Blue Jays finally win the World Seies AFTER he left for Atlanta? I am also quite sure that for most of the nineties he had the best pitching staff in the majors and one of the best teams for the entire decade and only managed to win one World Series. It seems to me that this is a guy who had the best team year after year and could nothing with it! Trust me I'm no Yankees fan, but looking back at the teams the Braves had in the nineties, what do you think would have happened to Cox if Steinbrener owned the Braves? With the teams they had they should have won multiple World Series, instead one! SO what am I missing? Again, I admit I don't really follow baseball anymore...remember I live in Florida and after living through the Marlins winning and then dismanteling the team time after time, you just give up, which I did!

I know from reading here that some of you are Braves fans, and I don't mean any disrespect. I am sure that you probably follow baseball more than I do, but I have to ask one question that has been nagging me for some time now. Why do so many people continue to call Bobby Cox a great manager? If I am not mistaken didn't the Blue Jays finally win the World Seies AFTER he left for Atlanta? I am also quite sure that for most of the nineties he had the best pitching staff in the majors and one of the best teams for the entire decade and only managed to win one World Series. It seems to me that this is a guy who had the best team year after year and could nothing with it! Trust me I'm no Yankees fan, but looking back at the teams the Braves had in the nineties, what do you think would have happened to Cox if Steinbrener owned the Braves? With the teams they had they should have won multiple World Series, instead one! SO what am I missing? Again, I admit I don't really follow baseball anymore...remember I live in Florida and after living through the Marlins winning and then dismanteling the team time after time, you just give up, which I did!

Well, once you get to the playoffs it's really a crapshoot and through out the years a lot of the Braves advantages over teams was their depth, the fact they Avery, Millwood, Neagle was their 4 starter on top of the great big 3, but once you get into a playoff series that advantage is gone, in a 5 game series all you need is 2 very good pitchers and some luck to match up.

I've always felt that the regular season in baseball is a greater measure of how good a team is.

That doesn't answer your question and I really don't know whether Bobby is overrated or not, he is a top end manager but how many wins or division titles has he accounted for? I know players love playing for him and he's gotten some teams (in the later stages of "the run") that simply weren't great on paper into the playoffs but again, we'll never know how big of an impact (if at all) that played.

Well, once you get to the playoffs it's really a crapshoot and through out the years a lot of the Braves advantages over teams was their depth, the fact they Avery, Millwood, Neagle was their 4 starter on top of the great big 3, but once you get into a playoff series that advantage is gone, in a 5 game series all you need is 2 very good pitchers and some luck to match up.

I've always felt that the regular season in baseball is a greater measure of how good a team is.

That doesn't answer your question and I really don't know whether Bobby is overrated or not, he is a top end manager but how many wins or division titles has he accounted for? I know players love playing for him and he's gotten some teams (in the later stages of "the run") that simply weren't great on paper into the playoffs but again, we'll never know how big of an impact (if at all) that played.

Hey roy, I'm curious if you think MLB playoffs are a crapshoot do you think the NHL ones are in any way (obiously less of one)? Just curious if anyone else thinks like me ;)

Edited by sportsfreak_39
Hey roy, I'm curious if you think MLB playoffs are a crapshoot do you think the NHL ones are in any way (obiously less of one)? Just curious if anyone else thinks like me ;)

All league playoffs are, winning 4 games out of 7 doesn't prove who the best team is. You can increase your odds by having a better seeding therefore facing (in theory) weaker opposition but the best team definitely doesn't always win.

Baseball is definitely worse than hockey, if you have a Roy Halladay type stud he could end up pitching 3 games of a best of 7 series, that's pretty hard to beat even if you're a superior team in basically every other facet. Also if you look at how many mini 5 games slump happen through out a given season to even the best players, and figure that can just as easily happen over the course of a 5 game first round series to a team's star player.

All league playoffs are, winning 4 games out of 7 doesn't prove who the best team is. You can increase your odds by having a better seeding therefore facing (in theory) weaker opposition but the best team definitely doesn't always win.

Baseball is definitely worse than hockey, if you have a Roy Halladay type stud he could end up pitching 3 games of a best of 7 series, that's pretty hard to beat even if you're a superior team in basically every other facet. Also if you look at how many mini 5 games slump happen through out a given season to even the best players, and figure that can just as easily happen over the course of a 5 game first round series to a team's star player.

I can certainly see your point about the playoffs and a "hot pitcher" If I'm not mistaken the 1963 Dodgers were not supposed to be any match for the Yankees in the World Series but because of Koufax and Drysdale and the rest the Dodgers wound up sweeping the Series.

You are right Cox has had many good teams for a long time so maybe that is why he is thought of so highly.

Hooray someone else sees the light! :D You can also increase your odds, by you know, increasing the series length (I think the Habs odds go up by 3-4% if the series last year vs Philly was a 9 gamer).

On a baseball note, SPRING TRAINING IS COMING!! The perks of living in South Florida ;)

Hooray someone else sees the light! :D You can also increase your odds, by you know, increasing the series length (I think the Habs odds go up by 3-4% if the series last year vs Philly was a 9 gamer).

On a baseball note, SPRING TRAINING IS COMING!! The perks of living in South Florida ;)

It's ideal for a casual fan, who just likes the raw unpredictability of a playoff series and the people who buy into the idea that it's a completely different game in the playoffs but lol I can see why it would bother a total stat head like you.

I've just kind of accepted it as reality, a 9 game series just seems so unlikely, but the MLB having round 1 as 5 games is absolute insanity IMO.

So I asked before, what do you think about Griffey, can he help the Braves in a platoon situation? The guy wasn't bad against righties last year and he's definitely a draw at the gate. His knee was apparently bothering him last year, so how much that held back his swing and defense (if at all) is hard to say.

It's ideal for a casual fan, who just likes the raw unpredictability of a playoff series and the people who buy into the idea that it's a completely different game in the playoffs but lol I can see why it would bother a total stat head like you.

I've just kind of accepted it as reality, a 9 game series just seems so unlikely, but the MLB having round 1 as 5 games is absolute insanity IMO.

So I asked before, what do you think about Griffey, can he help the Braves in a platoon situation? The guy wasn't bad against righties last year and he's definitely a draw at the gate. His knee was apparently bothering him last year, so how much that held back his swing and defense (if at all) is hard to say.

It doesn't bother me, it just bothers me when people say, "they're a good regular season team, but they're not a playoff-type team" or" they're not the kind of team that can make it past the second round", you could probably understand why I bang my head with those kind of comments :P

Well would he be playing CF or on the corners for you guys. I'm not going to lie despite them nice diving catches and throws you saw near the end of last year, his legs are shot, and hes a liability anywhere he walks the last few years.

He could be an average bat though.

Edited by sportsfreak_39
It doesn't bother me, it just bothers me when people say, "they're a good regular season team, but they're not a playoff-type team" or" they're not the kind of team that can make it past the second round", you could probably understand why I bang my head with those kind of comments :P

Well would he be playing CF or on the corners for you guys. I'm not going to lie despite them nice diving catches and throws you saw near the end of last year, his legs are shot, and hes a liability anywhere he walks the last few years.

He could be an average bat though.

He'd platoon in left with Matt Diaz.

He'd platoon in left with Matt Diaz.

As a bat from the right side, he can't hurt, as a fielder, he can. Guess the Braves will take the good with the bad.

Boras and Coletti still have made zero progress in negotiations. They're so far apart its ridiculous.

Gagne signs with MIL for a minor league deal.

The Gambler retires.

Zimmerman and Nats in multi-year talks.

Theres so many corner outfielders, you should be able to pick up one eventually you'd imagine.

BTW Braves making progress with your boy Chipper (what a name).

It's not a question of Griffey's on field value because he's incredibly replaceable but he was such a hero of mine as a kid that seeing him in Atlanta would have been special.

I suppose the word is we'll go after Garret Anderson now... meh

So guy's, let's get all your early season picks for divisions ( and wild card)

Here's mine

NL:

East:

Mets

Braves (wild card)

Phillies

Florida

Washington

Central:

Cubs

Houston

Cinci