The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Is The Captain? Brian Gionta

I'd go with a leader and a hard-worker, personally, as I won't ever suggest to name a newly-acquired free agent to be named in captaincy position.

So either Lapierre or Hamrlik.

I don't think Markov is vocal enough to do the job. And there are no other long-serving candidates that pops up to my mind. Unfortunately, I think Gomez will be the one, in the end... meh.

this is now the question isnt it hahaha...markov would just be that stone-faced captain hes always got this face that shows little emotion...i could get used to it i guess...hahah

Hasn't the Montreal organization historically chosen their captain by player vote? That would be my strategy since you know that whomever gets it, no matter their skill level or tenure with the team, has the support of the locker room.

That, or as others have suggested I would leave the C vacant this season out of respect and then put it to a vote next year when the players have a better sense of the locker room.

Hasn't the Montreal organization historically chosen their captain by player vote? That would be my strategy since you know that whomever gets it, no matter their skill level or tenure with the team, has the support of the locker room.

That, or as others have suggested I would leave the C vacant this season out of respect and then put it to a vote next year when the players have a better sense of the locker room.

I like this idea i am just hoping markov stays with us his entire career haha we just need him on D without him our D seems to crumble...

I'll say it again: out of respect to Saku, I don't think we should have a captain next season.

He did not die, the organization decided to move in a different direction, cut the tie already, why would we want to hold that over the new players heads or the remainder of the players that are still here.

This is not a fundraising group this is professional sports, players come and go all the time.

It's really kinda strange to look at the list. If Kovalev signs then my vote goes to him. If he doesn't sign I'd vote for three A's but I agree there should be a true captain in short order. Beyond that I'd vote for someone with at least two years with the Habs. I never thought I'd legitimately vote for Hamrlik but that's who I'd vote for as it stands today. A lot could change and I'd be nervous if my name was on that list. :lol: But Hamrlik has a ton of experience, has already been severely challenged by the media, has been credited with the development of Phaneuf, complimented by Gorges who said he's an easy guy to approach with a question. He certainly would serve as the lightening rod and take pressure off others.

I wouldn't mind Markov either but he seems very reserved and I question whether or not he could say what's on his mind.

Gomez will be captain I think

Markov cannot be the captain as he sweats like a madman every time a camera is pointed at him.

Lapierre will wear the A but will not be a captain. Do you think he has the respect from the likes of Gomez, Gionta and Cam?

The habs were built around the Gomez trade. Gionta and Cam were lured (in addition to great salaries) by the presence of Gomez as their C. He has the experience and 2 rings. Will the fans scream murder? yes. Is anyone else more deserving? I don't think so.

Gomez

I'll say it again: out of respect to Saku, I don't think we should have a captain next season.

:lol: You say that like saku died. I love saku too but its a sport and i dont think saku would care when he comes back home to burn us for a few goals lol. Time to move on.

Since kovalev is not coming back, definately lapierre. He has more heart than anybody on the team.,..giving a new player the C doesn't work in montreal. Markov and Hamrlik are quiet and cool guys.. lapierre can spark the team with his emotional play...but then again its a lot of pressure to be the captain in montreal

Fans want Lapierre but it won't be him, I'm telling you

Does anyone honestly think there won't be an elephant in the locker room with Gionta, Gomez, Camalleri, Markov, Hamrlik, Gill when they will have to answer to a 24 year old?

Lapierre does play with alot of heart but there are many other qualities you need to look for before naming someone a captain such as maturity and experience. Unfortunately Lapierre doesn't have those qualities.