The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

McGuire is an idiot with a clear bias against French-Canadian players and Russian-speaking players. Basically, you have to be Kovalchuk caliber in order for McGuire to praise you. If not, he ignores everything you do right and only focuses on what you do wrong. Sure, Lats missed a hit, but he did a lot of other things right in the Islanders game. But when Gomez turns the puck over, there's not a peep from Pierre. Sickening to listen to.

Lats had himself a solid game against the Islanders.

I agree that McGuire is an idiot but any bias he and/or TSN may have against french Canadian or Russian born players pales in comparison to the favoritism shown to Quebecois players by RDS - its not even in the same ballpark. I didn't notice Lats do anything terribly wrong or exceptionally right for a 4th liner - lets see if he got himself back to where he is capable of playing - which is 3rd line but certainly not 1st.

I agree that McGuire is an idiot but any bias he and/or TSN may have against french Canadian or Russian born players pales in comparison to the favoritism shown to Quebecois players by RDS - its not even in the same ballpark.

Who are you talking about exactly? Because Pierre Houde is an extremely fair-minded commentator. He doesn't single players out based on nationality. In fact, he makes a conscious effort to learn the correct pronunciation of European players' names (Plekanec, Spacek, and Streit being the most prominent examples off the top of my head). Benoit Brunet is pretty even-handed as well.

The guys in the RDS studio are a different issue, and yes, they do spend a lot of time discussing French-Canadian players, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I didn't notice Lats do anything terribly wrong or exceptionally right for a 4th liner - lets see if he got himself back to where he is capable of playing - which is 3rd line but certainly not 1st.

He worked hard, delivered a few hits, crashed the net, and created some traffic in the blue paint. It wasn't a spectacular game, but it wasn't a bad game either. So why are people acting like the sky is falling?

Tony Marinaro said yesterday Gui is very available according to his sources within the organization. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I don't dislike Gui, he scores quite well 5 on 5 but man he disappears for stretches and is weak defensively. Hard to believe this is his 4th year, but what he is for his salary right now is fine but he's going to be an RFA again at the end of this year and it maybe that he's not going to be worth his next contract especially when Price, Plekanec, Lapierre, Halak ect all need to be resigned.

McGuire is an idiot with a clear bias against French-Canadian players and Russian-speaking players. Basically, you have to be Kovalchuk caliber in order for McGuire to praise you. If not, he ignores everything you do right and only focuses on what you do wrong. Sure, Lats missed a hit, but he did a lot of other things right in the Islanders game. But when Gomez turns the puck over, there's not a peep from Pierre. Sickening to listen to.

Lats had himself a solid game against the Islanders.

I don't see it in regards to French Canadians Weep, I know Pierre is from Montreal and spent time working for CJAD broadcasting Habs games. I think his anti Habs/ anti French bias is totally overblown.

Anyway, he's right about Gui he NEEDS to throw his weight around. Gomez is a 1st line player who has a clear mandate to create offense, just like Kovalev turnovers happen. Gui was playing on the 4th line and he needs to bang and crash. One made a mistake trying to do his job, the other made a mistake not doing his job so it's 2 different situations.

Who are you talking about exactly? Because Pierre Houde is an extremely fair-minded commentator. He doesn't single players out based on nationality. In fact, he makes a conscious effort to learn the correct pronunciation of European players' names (Plekanec, Spacek, and Streit being the most prominent examples off the top of my head). Benoit Brunet is pretty even-handed as well.

The guys in the RDS studio are a different issue, and yes, they do spend a lot of time discussing French-Canadian players, but two wrongs don't make a right.

He worked hard, delivered a few hits, crashed the net, and created some traffic in the blue paint. It wasn't a spectacular game, but it wasn't a bad game either. So why are people acting like the sky is falling?

Agreed. While I don't like most of their studio hosts, it's perfectly understandable that they discuss Quebec-born or French-Canadian players more thoroughly since it's the only French sports channel that caters to a French audience. They're generally not biased against Europeans and you won't hear the 'soft euro' crap like on so many English-speaking networks, Canadian and American. There's a Habs bias of course since they're basically all Habs fans but I don't mind watching the RDS broadcasts in general. In fact, if I have a choice between TSN and RDS, I stick to RDS most of the time.

To get back on topic, even the RDS guys realized this is Lats' make or break year. They've been part of overhyping the kid during training camp a few years ago but their expectations are considerably lower these days. Too bad it hasn't been like that from the start ;)

Edited by ChiLla
Agreed. While I don't like most of their studio hosts, it's perfectly understandable that they discuss Quebec-born or French-Canadian players more thoroughly since it's the only French sports channel that caters to a French audience. They're generally not biased against Europeans and you won't hear the 'soft euro' crap like on so many English-speaking networks, Canadian and American. There's a Habs bias of course since they're basically all Habs fans but I don't mind watching the RDS broadcasts in general. In fact, if I have a choice between TSN and RDS, I stick to RDS most of the time.

Of course the RDS broadcasts don't bother Habs fans as much since they cater to the fan base but with that being said how is Brunet not biased against a guy like Kostitsyn? I don't understand French all that well but I sure get the impression he is.

Sure, RDS caters to a French audience but I could say TSN obviously caters to an English audience so it is OK for them to focus more of their attention on English speaking players?

I don't see it in regards to French Canadians Weep, I know Pierre is from Montreal and spent time working for CJAD broadcasting Habs games. I think his anti Habs/ anti French bias is totally overblown.

He's an anglophone from Montreal. I don't really see how that makes it impossible for him to have anti-francophone prejudice. I'm not saying he comes out with explicit bigotry, but it's subtly evident in how he takes French-Canadian players to task versus how he sings the praises of every damn thing an English-Canadian or American player does.

Gionta can take a fart at center ice and McGuire will spend 15 minutes talking about how that fart is evidence of Gionta's superb leadership ability and ability to create space in the neutral zone for his teammates. But when a careless clearing attempt by Gomez on the PK keeps the puck in the zone, not a word. Then someone like Lats or AK will make a similar mistake and he'll immediately start yelling, "And Gord, Andrei Kostitsyn HAS to make that play, he's GOT to play with more intensity!" He always relates a mistake to lack of intensity when discussing French-Canadian or Russian-speaking players, whereas the mistakes of other players are either not discussed or

Anyway, he's right about Gui he NEEDS to throw his weight around.

It's not that he's not right about Gui's physicality, it's that he creates a distorted impression of Gui's performance by unfairly singling him out when he makes mistakes. Lots of players on this team need to be doing things they're not doing. But God forbid Lats miss a check. Then McGuire is all over him.

Gomez is a 1st line player who has a clear mandate to create offense, just like Kovalev turnovers happen.

Except that everyone praises Gomez's defensive responsibility, whereas I don't think anyone would have argued that Kovalev was a paragon of two-way play. To me, high-risk plays that lead to turnovers in the neutral zone aren't shining endorsements of your defensive savvy.

Then someone like Lats or AK will make a similar mistake and he'll immediately start yelling, "And Gord, Andrei Kostitsyn HAS to make that play, he's GOT to play with more intensity!" He always relates a mistake to lack of intensity when discussing French-Canadian or Russian-speaking players, whereas the mistakes of other players are either not discussed or

I've seen him harp on the samething for American and Canadian born players, I remember him being all over Jason Spezza for a weak turnover, just as an example that sticks out in my brain. Pierre can be annoying and over the top but I actually think he's a very intelligent hockey man who just happens to have an irritating delivery at times.

Except that everyone praises Gomez's defensive responsibility, whereas I don't think anyone would have argued that Kovalev was a paragon of two-way play. To me, high-risk plays that lead to turnovers in the neutral zone aren't shining endorsements of your defensive savvy.

He is very strong defensively, no doubt but no one ever said "perfect" he makes the same kind turnovers any offensive player makes. I don't even know that I would say a turnover is a bad defensive play, it's a bad offensive play maybe and how you get back into position is a better sign of your defensive ability. While we're on the subject Kovalev was a better 2-way player then he's given credit for.

Is Gui a 4th line player or 3rd line player?

What sort of production is expected from Gui since this is his 4th year in the NHL?

Is Gui the problem on the Lapierre line or is Lapierre the problem on the line?

In either the 1st or 2nd game of the season I was impressed by Gui because he covered for our defenceman and played the 2 on 2 rush so Price had a fairly easy save. Two years ago it would have been a 2 on 1 rush. Nice improvement by Gui.

However the wheels have fallen off. I cannot remember Gui throwing any big body checks. I rarely remember Gui getting near the blue paint. Last year the Lapierre - Latendresse - Kosto line was hard working most nights and during a three week stretch last year they were are best line.

Hasn't Gui always played better after a game or two in the press box?

I think Lapierre is part of the problem but Lapierre has at least four advantages over Gui which keeps him from the press box. Speed, face-offs, PK, and he drives other players nuts all keep Lapierre in the line even though his offense skill has not been great this season.

I am not anti-french. I dislike the TSN broadcasts sometimes so much that I switch to watching the RDS broadcast even though I barely no any french. Plus my two favourite players of all time were Guy Lafleur and Patrick Roy.

I would put Gui in the press box for one or two games starting today. I am sure that Stewart or even Laraque would fill the necessary role on the 4th line. Gui should not be a 3rd line player that scores 15 to 25 goals and plays hard every night. When and if Gui makes the jump to 25 goal scorer then and only then he might be ready for a top line role. Gui role should be hard work, some goals, and big hits. Maybe even drop the gloves occasionally.

I can't stand Pierre McGuire. He ruins TSN. I don't know if he's against French Canadians, but he's definitely against Latendresse.

Thank God his supposed pleas to be made a GM somewhere have not been granted.

Dont you get the strongest sense of deja vu when you read the Latendresse comments, the hope that he will someday play like an NHLer, the racist overtones, the under rating, the over rating, etc?

Amazing, of all the Habs for the last three years,there is is syuch a lack of objectivity towards Lats. WHY?

Of course the RDS broadcasts don't bother Habs fans as much since they cater to the fan base but with that being said how is Brunet not biased against a guy like Kostitsyn? I don't understand French all that well but I sure get the impression he is.

Sure, RDS caters to a French audience but I could say TSN obviously caters to an English audience so it is OK for them to focus more of their attention on English speaking players?

Well, I get the general impression that A.Kostitsyn's presence in the lineup is actually appreciated by RDS broadcasters, much more than this would be the case for TSN guys. If there's bias against one specific player on RDS, I guess you could make a case for Carey Price. I get the (totally subjective) impression that they prefer having Halak in net without providing any evidence, but it's not as if I hadn't seen this time and again on this forum :lol: You really think Brunet is biased against Kostitsyn? Maybe he is but seriously, I've never really noticed. They're pretty much saying that he's got so many tools, he just needs to learn using them properly. I'm pretty much in agreement with that assessment, maybe that's why I never detected any bias. ;)

As for the last part of your post, I believe it's a natural process. I don't want to start some cultural/language debate here but let's look at it like this: how many English speaking TV channels show hockey on a regular basis? (I seriously don't know the answer but that's not my point) Take that number and compare it to the number of French speaking TV channels regularly broadcasting hockey games. RDS is pretty much unique on the market and they show all games of Quebec's only hockey team - in French. What's the population of the Province of Quebec? 7 million? 8 million? Assuming the majority are French speaking, there's a decent market for French hockey broadcasts. And due to the strong cultural beliefs in this province, it's only natural that these viewers are interested in how other Quebecers are doing in the NHL IMO. I'm not judging here, it's just how I see it.

So, to answer your question, no, I don't think it's okay if it happens on national free TV, i.e. HNIC. This should be objective and bias-free broadcasting, if that's actually possible. If a local TV channel in Vancouver broadcasts all Canucks games (is there such a thing? just curious...) as a paid service, i.e. not nationwide free TV, I would think it's okay to focus a bit more on homegrown talent from B.C. too, because it caters to the audience that pays for the service.

I like how he can work the boards, but I don't think this has much offensive flair at all. I remember a few seasons back, the Pro-Lats people were all praising his offensive skills and soft hands. He did have so ok numbers in terms of points and quality icetime, but now I'm not sure if he'll ever be more than something in between a 2nd liner and a 3rd liner.