The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

I4I-vc4

Inception. I also thought it was great. 10/10.
Inception: Great premise. Execution off (too much repetition on the inter-laced layers near the end of the movie (I'm not that stupid), plus it was a little too drawn out. 8/10 for me. Compare to Shutter Island (9/10; and also starring di Caprio in a similar 'genre' movie)), where Scorsese got the execution down a lot better.

Just watched "She's Out of My League" on DVD for some light fare tonight, and it was quite good (7/10; my expectations were not high though).

I did like Alice Eve in it (not much not to like :D ).

Director's Commentary included tidbit re: the scene at the Penguins home game (well shot I thought, live at a Penguins/Islanders game, where production bought up something like 40 seats, first 3 rows (ouch!! $$$ :D ). Turns out the star, Jay Baruchel (who's from Ottawa), is a huge Habs fan and the only way he would wear the Penguins jersey they gave him for the scene was to wear his own Canadiens jersey underneath!! :lol:

Reminded me of one of my favorite actors, Viggo Mortensen, who wore a Habs T-shirt under his costumes throughout LOTR shooting.

I just saw Inside Man with Denzel Washington and Clive Owen. I'd give it a 7.5/10 not a bad movie, kind of slow and confusing but when you look back on the movie you realize just how creativly crafted it was. It was a good movie, not great but i was impressed. I didn't this Denzel played one of his better roles in this movie, but Clive Owen was exceptional, Cristopher Plummer wasn't too bad either. All in all not a bad movie.

I also just saw S.W.A.T with Colin Farell and Samuel L. Jackson. I wasn't a big fan of Colin Farell from training day but this one was really good i'll give it a 8.5/10. It had a great plot and although i'm not a big fan of Samuel L. Jackson either, this was the best movie i have seen him in since STAR WARS, and he was probably better in this one. Very fast action packed movie.

Just watched "She's Out of My League" on DVD for some light fare tonight, and it was quite good (7/10; my expectations were not high though).

I did like Alice Eve in it (not much not to like :D ).

Director's Commentary included tidbit re: the scene at the Penguins home game (well shot I thought, live at a Penguins/Islanders game, where production bought up something like 40 seats, first 3 rows (ouch!! $$$ :D ). Turns out the star, Jay Baruchel (who's from Ottawa), is a huge Habs fan and the only way he would wear the Penguins jersey they gave him for the scene was to wear his own Canadiens jersey underneath!! :lol:

Reminded me of one of my favorite actors, Viggo Mortensen, who wore a Habs T-shirt under his costumes throughout LOTR shooting.

I quite enjoyed this movie too & was surprised that I did. I knew Jay Baruchel was a habs fan - I remember him & a young elisha cuthbert from back on the old Popular Mechanics for Kids show.

I watched The Lookout the other night. Its a few years old & dont know how i missed it. One of the best films Ive seen in a while - 9/10. Really well crafted, thought-provoking, suspenseful and very original.

Inception: Great premise. Execution off (too much repetition on the inter-laced layers near the end of the movie (I'm not that stupid), plus it was a little too drawn out. 8/10 for me. Compare to Shutter Island (9/10; and also starring di Caprio in a similar 'genre' movie)), where Scorsese got the execution down a lot better.

THANK YOU!

[minor spoiler alert]

I've been trying to explain to my friends for the last week what I didn't like about Inception, but I think they've all just got me pegged as a 'hater' :P. I actually liked the movie (I'd say 8/10 as well, it was entertaining) but it was driving me nuts how often it cut away to that van falling off the bridge. We get it, the van is falling, that's why there's no gravity in the next level. Move on. There was also zero character development other than in DiCaprio's lead guy, and really no reason to care about anyone else on the team.

[/minor spoilers]

Having said that, though, it was still a fun movie and I'd recommend seeing it. I think maybe too many people raving about it had me expecting some sort of masterpiece, when really it's just a fun summer popcorn flick.

Inception ummm 8.5/10

*Spoiler

Very good movie. Everyone was hyping it up so much that when I saw it, it wasn't what I was expecting. The ideas in the movie were crazy (in a good way), and the concepts of inception were very well thought out. But the motive behind why it all happened wasn't so good imo. I thought that it could have revolved more around Cobb's story instead of the Fisher thing (which didn't seem that neccessary imo). Very good movie tho, really makes you think.... is he still dreaming???

Watched a few movies from a couple of years back recently:

Bridge to Tarabithia - 8.5/10 - an extremely well made & thoughtful film. The book was (obviously) better, but considering the material (the imagination of 2 children) they did a phenomenal job. It was billed by some as "narnia v2.0" but it is actually extremely different. The fantasy aspect completely takes a back seat to the emotions of the lead characters.

Rescue Dawn - 7.5/10 - I was reluctant to watch this film because it was (mis-marketed) as an action type of "rambo" film, but it is anything but. I knew it was based on a true story but didnt expect the sort of clean, tense storyline they managed to pull off. Very little violence, just the threat of it wrapped up with some extremely good acting from all of the leads.

Lars and the Real Girl - 8/10 - I like Ryan Gosling, so I was willing to watch this movie, expecting a sort of "american pie" sensibility, but boy was I wrong. Its a great movie - almost shockingly sincere and thoughtful - especially given the main subject material. Definitely worth watching - and dont worry, he doesnt get it on with the doll. :)

Rescue Dawn - 7.5/10 - I was reluctant to watch this film because it was (mis-marketed) as an action type of "rambo" film, but it is anything but. I knew it was based on a true story but didnt expect the sort of clean, tense storyline they managed to pull off. Very little violence, just the threat of it wrapped up with some extremely good acting from all of the leads.

If you're interested in Dieter's story, Little Dieter Needs To Fly is a documentary from the same director (the fabulous Werner Herzog), featuring Dieter himself. Recommended.

Inception: 8

Much more straightforward than one would think and definitely not in the league of Kubrick as some critics suggested but a very, very fine movie nonetheless. The ending was priceless.

Some real disappointments here.

The Other Guys - 5/10. More disappointing Will Ferrell comedy. The dude is running out of time. Mark Wahlberg can't even act comedy.

Greenberg - 6/10. Ben Stiller attempts to take on a more serious role that perhaps details his movie career. The film is about a 40-something year old during a mid-life crisis. Stops doing "anything" and house-sits for his brother in California for a month. Meets a girl... Nothing really happens.

The Green Zone - 6.5/10. I cannot take Matt Damon as a Chief Miller in Iraq seriously. Too much of a known commodity to play action roles other than Jason Bourne. The movie was interesting, but the story took some unbelieveable turns that must have exaggerated the actual crisis in Iraq at the time.

Some real disappointments here.

The Other Guys - 5/10. More disappointing Will Ferrell comedy. The dude is running out of time. Mark Wahlberg can't even act comedy.

Darn I was hoping he could have turned it around. I was planning to go see this. Thanks for posting it's not worth it. I'll catch it on Movie Central in a few months.

The Green Zone - 6.5/10. I cannot take Matt Damon as a Chief Miller in Iraq seriously. Too much of a known commodity to play action roles other than Jason Bourne. The movie was interesting, but the story took some unbelieveable turns that must have exaggerated the actual crisis in Iraq at the time.

I appreciated it a lot more than you, but then I have only seen one of the bourne movies.

There definitely were "turns" as you said, that took some faith to believe in, but I think the film was more about the overall thought process (misleading the troops & the public) than the simplistic story itself. The line by the Freddy (the iraqui interpreter) at the end was hauntingly poetic and in one line really summed things up well.

I appreciated it a lot more than you, but then I have only seen one of the bourne movies.

There definitely were "turns" as you said, that took some faith to believe in, but I think the film was more about the overall thought process (misleading the troops & the public) than the simplistic story itself. The line by the Freddy (the iraqui interpreter) at the end was hauntingly poetic and in one line really summed things up well.

+1

I liked the movie too, nothing groundbreaking but still decent entertainment value IMO. Just for the record, according to my Iraqi buddy I watched the movie with a while ago, they put a lot of effort into getting the various Arabic accents right, which is definitely not a given in modern film-making.

Are you referring to the line Freddy speaks about it not being Miller's (ie. the U.S.A.'s) decision to make concerning the killing of Al Rawi (ie. decisions concerning Iraq, in general)? I thought it was too over the top cheesy and I couldn't understand the motivations of Freddy grabbing a gun, running halfway across Baghdad, and shooting Al Rawi himself. My girlfriend and I were both like... "Whhhaaaatttt?" :lol: Have you watched The Hurt Locker? Now that was a great modern war film. A very focused story, very personal. Lots of high tension moments.

Are you referring to the line Freddy speaks about it not being Miller's (ie. the U.S.A.'s) decision to make concerning the killing of Al Rawi (ie. decisions concerning Iraq, in general)? I thought it was too over the top cheesy and I couldn't understand the motivations of Freddy grabbing a gun, running halfway across Baghdad, and shooting Al Rawi himself. My girlfriend and I were both like... "Whhhaaaatttt?" :lol: Have you watched The Hurt Locker? Now that was a great modern war film. A very focused story, very personal. Lots of high tension moments.

Its too bad you feel that way. The fact you would even use a laughing smiley with regards to something that says there's not point in me discussing it further.

As for the hurt locker, I did see it (i believe i gave it a 7.5 in this thread). It was not bad, but imho not even close to the best film of 2009. I found it to be "meh" with regards to character development of all but a couple of people and extremely overhyped. It was billed as an "unbiased" war film but I found it to be anything but.

Its too bad you feel that way. The fact you would even use a laughing smiley with regards to something that says there's not point in me discussing it further.

As for the hurt locker, I did see it (i believe i gave it a 7.5 in this thread). It was not bad, but imho not even close to the best film of 2009. I found it to be "meh" with regards to character development of all but a couple of people and extremely overhyped. It was billed as an "unbiased" war film but I found it to be anything but.

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to use the smiley face as a way to disregard your opinion. I just found The Green Zone to be cliché. I usually enjoy Matt Damon, but I didn't seem him fitting into that role as American officer fighting for what's right in Iraq.

I enjoyed The Hurt Locker a lot. I don't know that it deserved any Oscars or what have you, but I felt that it was an excellent paced film about an interesting character. I would be interested to hear from you why you thought it was biased.