The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Benoit Pouliot

I don't know I was VERY SURPRISED to read that anyone would think he would be the 3rd most important key for the Habs next season. I respect his post...just stunned THAT IS ALL. ;)

What's so stunning? The margin between a good season and average season often comes down to a couple of players. Look at the post-conference title season, Higgins, the PP and Kovalev took a nose dive and the rest of the team went with it.

The habs have many stable parts, one would assume that the core millionaires are going to bring it, as are the veteran d-men. The 3 biggest variables at this time are:

1 - Carey Price: Does the fresh out of AHL or fresh out of buffet kid show up? Nobody knows but he plays the most important position. So, he's the biggest key.

2 - PK Subban: Will he continue his brilliance or will his risky style of play become a hazard? Can he do it for a full year at the NHL level, especially since Markov will be out at the beginning? Nobody knows, but he's likely going to be slotted in as our PP QB and top 3 d-man, so he is a huge key, almost as big as Price.

3 - Benoit Pouliot: Why him? Because with his skill set and linemates if he elevates his play, he can make his line dangerous every shift, which has a domino effect on the Plekanec line because some nights the Chara's would have to cover the Gomez line instead of just shadowing Cammy and Pleks. So, I stand by my statement. Benny having a solid season solidifies the Top 6 and makes our forward corps as a whole more functional, which is why he's the 3rd biggest key to the season.

What's so stunning? The margin between a good season and average season often comes down to a couple of players. Look at the post-conference title season, Higgins, the PP and Kovalev took a nose dive and the rest of the team went with it.

The habs have many stable parts, one would assume that the core millionaires are going to bring it, as are the veteran d-men. The 3 biggest variables at this time are:

1 - Carey Price: Does the fresh out of AHL or fresh out of buffet kid show up? Nobody knows but he plays the most important position. So, he's the biggest key.

2 - PK Subban: Will he continue his brilliance or will his risky style of play become a hazard? Can he do it for a full year at the NHL level, especially since Markov will be out at the beginning? Nobody knows, but he's likely going to be slotted in as our PP QB and top 3 d-man, so he is a huge key, almost as big as Price.

3 - Benoit Pouliot: Why him? Because with his skill set and linemates if he elevates his play, he can make his line dangerous every shift, which has a domino effect on the Plekanec line because some nights the Chara's would have to cover the Gomez line instead of just shadowing Cammy and Pleks. So, I stand by my statement. Benny having a solid season solidifies the Top 6 and makes our forward corps as a whole more functional, which is why he's the 3rd biggest key to the season.

Without a solid season from Puliot, we cannot count on our offense for a solid, consistent total.... or at least the first line. When Puliot was rolling last season the totals for both Gionta and Gomez increased. He had a very solid season last year before injury with the habs so i think that he may be able to do the job this season. But another thing is that he is not replacable. Unless Eller is ready to move up to the top line Moen was okay, but nothing special with the Gio- Gomez combo. Nobody else is going into that position unless Puliot drops to the second line and AK46 moves up to the top line, something that i don't see happening. He is a huge factor to how our offense fairs this year. Price = Goaltending , Subban= Defense, Puliot= Offense. These are the keys to this position for the season.

I used to call Gionta chicken. I'd guess I'll have to wait until October to really say who is the chicken; maybe it is Pouliot after all.

Gionta a chicken????? :blink:

Really????

He's one of the smallest players in the league, yet he plays as if he's 6'7. Never afraid to go into the corners or park himself in front of the net. A real heart and soul player.

Pouliot is much bigger than Gio and won't put himself in the places Gio does.

I hope he stands up to his word to growing more muscles and working on his game at the beginning of the season. If he'll be more effective than AK, I'll be happy with that. :)

And Lappy is reportedly taking boxing lessons (hopefully to back up his own mouth when he plays the role of our favourite pest)so ,if that is the case ,we should be good to go!? :)

I think our Benny needs a confidence booster he can skate fast he has good hands,just seems frightened by the puck sometimes and he is a bit on the skinny side, get in the gym and the pool you should see what swimming has done for my shoulders needs to get himself in shape like Carey did,I am not worried the guy knows he has to pick it up or lose it so this is about character does he have it or not just have to wait and see

GO HABS GO

Gionta a chicken????? :blink:

Really????

He's one of the smallest players in the league, yet he plays as if he's 6'7. Never afraid to go into the corners or park himself in front of the net. A real heart and soul player.

Pouliot is much bigger than Gio and won't put himself in the places Gio does.

Before you ask me why I would call Gionta chicken, you have to think as to why the Sens' Pizza Line was called the Pizza Line in the first place: goal-scoring ability.

I used to call Gionta chicken because he was among the players that made us score goals and get us our free chicken wings.

Before you ask me why I would call Gionta chicken, you have to think as to why the Sens' Pizza Line was called the Pizza Line in the first place: goal-scoring ability.

I used to call Gionta chicken because he was among the players that made us score goals and get us our free chicken wings.

Maybe we should call him Wing then.

Makes him sound fast and sounds less derogatory. ;)

I think a player like Benoit would really excel if we had some real tough, physical, hard-nosed guys to play alongside him. We have some big wingers (Benoit and A.K.) who struggle with the physical aspects of the game a little bit. Just imagine if our bigger wingers, the ones capable of using their size, had a competent physical force playing with them... ;) Kind of how Lucic is to Boston. We could use a guy like that on our club.

I think a player like Benoit would really excel if we had some real tough, physical, hard-nosed guys to play alongside him. We have some big wingers (Benoit and A.K.) who struggle with the physical aspects of the game a little bit. Just imagine if our bigger wingers, the ones capable of using their size, had a competent physical force playing with them... ;) Kind of how Lucic is to Boston. We could use a guy like that on our club.

Trouble is though - where does he play? His skillset sees him on one of the top 2 lines, which means his other winger will be Gio or Cammy.

Maybe you're right though - maybe he'd end up more productive splitting our offense into 3 lines what about a top 9 of:

Moen-Gomez-Gionta

AK-Plekanec-Cammy

Pouliot-Eller-Patches/Boyd

That third line would be a real mucky-muck line, good speed, energy & 2 guys not afraid to do dirty stuff to "inspire" pouliot. Eller should have the skills to get him the puck too. Problem is that we dont have the ice time to give Gomez/Pleks and Eller enough minutes every night - unless the 4th line spends most of it riding the pine.

I think the mindset for Benoit this summer has been to bulk up so that he can't be pushed off the puck so easily and can park himself in the goalies crease.This would make sense given that Gomez is setting him and Gionta up all of the time,and both Gionta and Gomez are pretty good defensively.

I cringe everytime I open this topic (cause I think about how invisible he was last playoffs). I hope he knows that and I hope he comes to camp ready to DESTROY this season. I want to be a fan..I really do, but so far he hasn't given me any reason to be one.

Let's go Benny!! Don't want to keep calling you BUTTER all season. ;)

Im excited to see what Pouliot is going to bring this upcoming season. If he plays the way he did at the start of his arrival here, we are in for a nice surprise and he can be a 30 goal winger. I beleive Pouliot has what it takes to be a 30 goal guy. He is big and a lot of his goals were when he was close to the net. He completes very well the Gomez line.

Im excited to see what Pouliot is going to bring this upcoming season. If he plays the way he did at the start of his arrival here, we are in for a nice surprise and he can be a 30 goal winger. I beleive Pouliot has what it takes to be a 30 goal guy. He is big and a lot of his goals were when he was close to the net. He completes very well the Gomez line.

If he did actually become a 30-goal winger then the Gomez Line will be the Chicken Line.