The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Maxim Lapierre

Good deal! I thought he maybe looking for something just about over 1m, but this is a great signing, means we give Price all the room necessary to sign and still make a trade with some salary heading to our way. :P

Glad Lapierre finally re-sign, another season looking forward to watch Lapierre the entertainer.

People have been saying for years that we have to overpay players because of the high taxes and the media pressure, but I have yet to see PG overpay anyone since taking over. Lapierre, Pouliot, Darche, Plekanec, Boyd -- all signed to good-value contracts. I think the problem in years past is that neither A. Savard nor Gainey knew how to negotiate contracts properly.

One thing's for sure, Gauthier isn't a pushover in negotiations, which may have been a problem with his predecessor. He doesn't let sentiment cloud his decision-making.

Spot on.

Sentiment would give Laps a little bonus for his work in the playoffs. Sorry Laps, but fair play to PG for hardballing you. What I think you "deserve" doesn't enter into it.

Sounds like a good contract for both. Lapierre had a really bad regular season and then a good playoffs. $900k seems to be based on the combination while the one year deal makes both sides happy. Lapierre will want to prove that he is worth $1.5 million and the team can afford to walk or re-sign at the end of the one year deal.

Lapierre signs: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=327401

One-year deal at $900k. Very nice. Keep Max hungry and working for his money.

One thing's for sure, Gauthier isn't a pushover in negotiations, which may have been a problem with his predecessor. He doesn't let sentiment cloud his decision-making.

Agree. Not a Gauthier fan by any means, but I have to give the guy props. He's getting it done this summer.

Also glad to see more of Mad Max. I know he can be a pest, but he's my fave pest in the NHL, and I'd rather have him making chicken faces at the other teams. Besides, I'm a sucker for a homegrown talent. I just hope he takes it as an opportunity to prove his value to this team long term. Otherwise, not even the homegrown thingy will make me want to keep him around.

Perfect.

Great price this year and we can do this next year too. Till then, hit em hard Lappy and keep em all hot and bothered! Let them have that silly 'lady b', you go for that Oscar-Best supporing role in a Comedy/drama. If you could too, Lappy, drop the gloves with any of them Bruins. Tussle one bear for old time MONTREAL CANADIEN HOCKEY'S sake! I promise Brother, we'll respect you in the morning.

Finally a GM paying what third and fourth line players should be paid, I would of payed up to 1.25 or 1.3. Really good deal for a solid third line player.

I don't know if he is being forced to pay these players what there worth because of our cap hit or he just understands what third and fourth line players are worth, either way I like it.

If he can put more effort into the whole next year with results akin to the playoffs it would be a big bonus for this team.

Not really, there's an incentive against bottom-6 players producing too much because then teams are not willing to pay for them.

Not really, there's an incentive against bottom-6 players producing too much because then teams are not willing to pay for them.

Unless a bottom-6 player becomes a solid top-6 player. Lapierre could make the cut... he's got the individual skills needed but his teamwork suffers a lot :mellow:

They might not want to pay $1.5 / $2 million but they would occasionally. As bad as it might sound they would pay more for Lapierre because he is from Quebec. Therefore I hope that Lapierre plays this coming season like he did two years ago. And then the team has to pay him between $1.5 and $2 million for the next season. The Habs do have enough cap space to pay out a few million for players that have good seasons in 2010-11. Not a huge amount but enough. Plus they also have several big contracts expiring next summer.

I don't believe that Lapierre is top 6 caliber. However during stretches over the past 2 seasons Lapierre has played well enough to have a guranteed contract with our team and a secure position on the 3rd line. It will be interesting who become his regular linemates this season.

The best he can do is 15 goals and 29 points in a season like he got in 2008-09.

He did that with power forward Guillaume Latendresse playing on the third line and thus below his weight, and with Carbonneau giving that line ample ice-time. I doubt he'll ever do that well again.