The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ben Maxwell

AK-1

• 1 month later...
I was really looking forward to seeing what Ben was capable of in training camp. I think he has too much talent in front of him to get a spot on the Habs roster.

IMO Ben was/is one of the better players this pre-season. The signings of Boyd and Halpern have complicated the issue for him IMO...

If no vets are moved out one way or another, he as well as many of the remaining few (other than Eller and Subban who have been given the inside track by management) will not play for the Habs to start the season.

Sad really...

IMO Ben was/is one of the better players this pre-season. The signings of Boyd and Halpern have complicated the issue for him IMO...

If no vets are moved out one way or another, he as well as many of the remaining few (other than Eller and Subban who have been given the inside track by management) will not play for the Habs to start the season.

Sad really...

IMO one LAST year in hamilton will be enough for this guy to be up permanently. He used to look out of sync with the habs when we called him up, if he doesn't this year then this is his final hamilton year; if we do not give him a spot next year, we owe it to him to trade him to a team that WILL give him that opportunity (like the islanders)

It is a shame, but at the same time if he would have looked ready at the end of last year we might no have signed one of those guys and kept a spot for him. If he gets back on track in Hamilton, I'm sure he'll get an opportunity as a call-up.

True. He looks terrible in his NHL games last year. Constantly chasing players in the defensive zone. While I disagree that he's been impressive so far this preseason I did like the pass while getting hit to setup Pyatt's goal last night. He looks more prepared this year than last. I think a full year of 1st line minutes in Hamilton will be good for him.

True. He looks terrible in his NHL games last year. Constantly chasing players in the defensive zone. While I disagree that he's been impressive so far this preseason I did like the pass while getting hit to setup Pyatt's goal last night. He looks more prepared this year than last. I think a full year of 1st line minutes in Hamilton will be good for him.

I agree with you that the AHL is most likely where he will end up but you can't really take his performance in last years call ups as an indication of what kind of player he is. Management really put him behind the 8 ball (which wasn't really their fault due to the Laraque madness), with last years call ups. When it comes to skill players like Ben, its all about confidence and being comfortable in the game. It is hard to achieve either of these when your getting 2-5 minutes of ice time on the fourth line with a couple of grinders.

Ben needs the opportunity to show his skill set in the NHL in the position where he was drafted to play. I'm not saying he is entitled to this in any way however his pre-season play has been far beyond anything we have seen from him in the last two years. He explosiveness and speed has really showed (he looks very similar to Pleks in skating style). I'd be surprised if there was a better skater on the team. If Ben is given the chance, and fails then the story is settled.

If Montreal is unable to give Ben this opportunity, they owe it to him to send him to a team that will.

This franchise has too many NHL ready to players in their system, and the fact that they continue to bring in players on one year one way deals is beyond me. The cup nowadays is won by a combination of young talent and old experience. Montreal should be following this trend.

GO HABS GO!

From what I saw this pre-season he could center or play on the third line and be effective.

Agreed. I think he's had an excellent camp & finally starting to show the promise many of us hoped he would just a year or 2 ago. Lets hope he can put it all together and plays so well he forces some trades on this team.

Well I know Brian Burke would be interested in trading but what can he trade, Nazem Kadri, or Thomas Kaberle now either of these guys would catch my attention and having Kaberle would strengthen our defence immensely. Kadri on the other hand could be a great player if he gains another 20 lbs of muscle.Anyways there is always Nashville with Zach Budish hulking big center we need.Minnesota has Colton Gillies big tough power forward, if we stand to lose a prospect let's find a trade and stockpile draft picks or get more prospects.Pierre Gauthier hasn't been sitting on his hands so look for some of these moves this year.

i agree its a shame we keep signing vets in front of all the great young talent we have this kid could end up id say a "star" on the leafs then switch between second line compliment player or a scoring third line player your choice.

Ben would be a better option for center with the Leafs than some they have, Kaberle and Kadri are the only players I would take in trade. The leafs can sure use some offense so maybe there are a couple of our prospects for one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
Ben would be a better option for center with the Leafs than some they have, Kaberle and Kadri are the only players I would take in trade. The leafs can sure use some offense so maybe there are a couple of our prospects for one of them.

I don't think that will ever happen

Burke is looking for a top six player for Kaberle , and if the summer was any indication he did not receive seriuous enough offers for him, and they high hopes for Kadri

We have , IMO, nothing in the minors that would peak their interest in either of the two players you mentioned

If the players we have in Hamilton are that good we should just keep them ourselves

Right now he's centering White and Pacioretty and this line just dominates out there. I have a good feeling that if all three stay together on a line without call-ups and injuries then they'll each be among the top in the AHL for points.

I watched him in the Bulldogs/Barons game yesterday afternoon on the CBC and I can't say I was impressed with his play. Nothing stood out about his game and I don't really see him dominating the AHL in point totals even though he's supposed to be our 1st line centre in Hamilton. Kind of disappointing. Between what he's shown at the NHL level, and so far in the AHL, I'm not sure that he's an NHLer.

I watched him in the Bulldogs/Barons game yesterday afternoon on the CBC and I can't say I was impressed with his play. Nothing stood out about his game and I don't really see him dominating the AHL in point totals even though he's supposed to be our 1st line centre in Hamilton. Kind of disappointing. Between what he's shown at the NHL level, and so far in the AHL, I'm not sure that he's an NHLer.

I missed most of the game yesterday, but 9 pts in 6 games is a pretty solid start, no? If he keeps producing at a solid pace I could see him being one of the first called up.

I missed most of the game yesterday, but 9 pts in 6 games is a pretty solid start, no? If he keeps producing at a solid pace I could see him being one of the first called up.

Whoa! I didn't realize he had that many points through six games. That's interesting. I thought he was floundering around three or four points.

Whoa! I didn't realize he had that many points through six games. That's interesting. I thought he was floundering around three or four points.

He could be an option for the second line no? Time to send someone packing and add Ben back to the roster.

• 4 weeks later...