The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Paul Mara

roy_133

The explanation here is that the management sees us as cup-worthy in the next few seasons but not this one, so there's no need to sacrifice the future for what they consider somewhat of a lost cause. And you know what, I kinda agree with their philosophy because we would be a lot better without all the injuries and with more experience on our young players.

We were under this philosophy for how long now? Since 93? How many 5 year plans have we gone through? Eventually, one of these plans has to pay off no?

Wow, he's a lot faster than I remember!

Small sample size but surprisingly not as bad as I remembered. Maybe this is what he was supposed to deliver last year but didn't. That said, if he couldn't stick in the line-up last year and he couldn't get into the Ducks line-up this year, the odds say he's likely to show his flaws over time.

Wow, he's a lot faster than I remember!

Its really an optical illusion. We are so used to seeing Gill skate so Mara appears much faster. :D

In all seriousness, Mara has played fairly solid D ( 0 against Calgary and + 1 tonight) and gets down the ice quickly. I just hope he can maintain this level of play. He might turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

I thought that was another very solid game for Mara last night. Very solid D, no big mistakes (unlike his partner Weber), and he made his physical presence known with a couple of hits. I believe he also had a little chat with Raffi Torres not long after his charging/elbowing penalty on Pacioretty. Nice to have a big guy like this on the team. If he keeps this up he'll be a pretty good pickup for cheap.

I thought that was another very solid game for Mara last night. Very solid D, no big mistakes (unlike his partner Weber), and he made his physical presence known with a couple of hits. I believe he also had a little chat with Raffi Torres not long after his charging/elbowing penalty on Pacioretty. Nice to have a big guy like this on the team. If he keeps this up he'll be a pretty good pickup for cheap.

I agree. Definitely worth a medium-low draft pick.

Canadiens defenseman Paul Mara made sure to grab the puck after the final buzzer and present it to Price after he was mobbed by his teammates.

"I really wanted that puck. That was the only one I've wanted all year," Price said. "I've watched the Canucks my whole life being from B.C., and getting an opportunity to play against them and actually win here is pretty special."

Definately worth a 5th Round pick :P

I agree. Definitely worth a medium-low draft pick.

But again, the question is not whether he is giving us return on the 5th round pick but whether his value was at the level of a 5th rounder to start with. Based on other recent transactions and the fact that Mara was 8th on the Ducks depth list at D, I think he could have been had for a 6th or 7th rounder. And while that may be nit-picking, that 5th rounder could have been used for another trade, so you just never know. Ive been pleasantly surprised by Mara over the two games, but i still think we need a bigger sample size and I still feel we overpaid in the trade, despite the fact the stakes were small.

But again, the question is not whether he is giving us return on the 5th round pick but whether his value was at the level of a 5th rounder to start with. Based on other recent transactions and the fact that Mara was 8th on the Ducks depth list at D, I think he could have been had for a 6th or 7th rounder. And while that may be nit-picking, that 5th rounder could have been used for another trade, so you just never know. Ive been pleasantly surprised by Mara over the two games, but i still think we need a bigger sample size and I still feel we overpaid in the trade, despite the fact the stakes were small.

A 5th round pick for Mara does not seem like overpaying to me, but perhaps the Habs could have used the extra cash and a roster spot better. That said, There are intangibles I guess... Mara wants to be here, he is big and tougher than the majority of the habs "D", familiar and has a decent shot to go along with his experience.

I don't know Ted, I really don't think we overpaid for an experienced depth Dman who brings size AND some toughness. Forwards were traded for less but the market for Dmen has changed quite a bit since we got Wisniewski for cheap, he'd be much more expensive right now. Ian White, who's also a pending UFA, was traded for a second rounder a couple of days ago and he didn't do much for Carolina at all this year. Then there's also the Goligoski deal which still has me scratching my head...

Agreed regarding Mara the player though, he's been solid since we got him but it's only been two games. Let's see how he does for the rest of the year.

A 5th round draft choice for Mara is, IMO, by no means an overpayment. Unless someone has a recommendation of another player who's better that we could have picked up for a 5th round draft choice to add depth to a depleted D. Mara's been decent through two games. Hopefully he stays "decent" for the remainder of the season, 'cause we will probably need him to.

A 5th round draft choice for Mara is, IMO, by no means an overpayment. Unless someone has a recommendation of another player who's better that we could have picked up for a 5th round draft choice to add depth to a depleted D. Mara's been decent through two games. Hopefully he stays "decent" for the remainder of the season, 'cause we will probably need him to.

Agreed, I haven't seen any other comparable D-man acquired for any cheaper this year. Really, he's a UFA after this year and on a extremely cheap contract. The Ducks receive absolutely no benefit to moving him beyond what they actually receive as compensation. When you start talking about 6th or 7th round picks, Anaheim may just as soon say whatever, and just keep him in case of injury.

I liked his game last night. You could clearly see him skating better than he did at ALL last year (nagging injury from training camp) and it was nice to see someone finally stick up for a teammate (torres' hit on patches) AND be smart enough not to get suckered into negating the powerplay by taking a penalty of his own.

He looked good & made some smart plays & while its very early, I think that right now we are stronger with him in the lineup than out of it - which unfortunately wasnt something I could say after his disastrous season last year.

I liked his game last night. You could clearly see him skating better than he did at ALL last year (nagging injury from training camp) and it was nice to see someone finally stick up for a teammate (torres' hit on patches) AND be smart enough not to get suckered into negating the powerplay by taking a penalty of his own.

He looked good & made some smart plays & while its very early, I think that right now we are stronger with him in the lineup than out of it - which unfortunately wasnt something I could say after his disastrous season last year.

Good point Jed... From what I saw last night and remember, I wasn't upset with his play. And like you mentioned, he did seem to be skating better. Last season he was just as slow as Gill. I will never forget the 1st shift Mara and Gill played together... Wasn't pretty to see. Let's hope his injuries are behind him, at least til the end of the season.

I don't know Ted, I really don't think we overpaid for an experienced depth Dman who brings size AND some toughness. Forwards were traded for less but the market for Dmen has changed quite a bit since we got Wisniewski for cheap, he'd be much more expensive right now. Ian White, who's also a pending UFA, was traded for a second rounder a couple of days ago and he didn't do much for Carolina at all this year. Then there's also the Goligoski deal which still has me scratching my head...

Agreed regarding Mara the player though, he's been solid since we got him but it's only been two games. Let's see how he does for the rest of the year.

That's just it, with so many dmen who have gone down this season, available dmen are in high demand. I wasn't thrilled about re-acquiring Mara, after letting him walk last spring, but he is what he is and i cost us a 5th rounder... When we needed experience and size.

Brings a physical presence. Nice, well rested acquisition. Hope he doesn't bang up that shoulder again. :unsure:

Yeah, he's slow but I actually liked what I saw yesterday. Defensively responsible for most of the night, physical, can't be pushed around easily, pretty solid overall.