The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Paul Mara

roy_133

But I don't think the trade was worth it if he's just going to play 12-15 minutes a night.

hrm. a 5th rounder for a defensman who can play 12-15 mins a night actually sounds pretty reasonable to me!

Yeah, he's slow but I actually liked what I saw yesterday. Defensively responsible for most of the night, physical, can't be pushed around easily, pretty solid overall.

Speed is not nearly as much of a problem if: a) positioning is good and B) the player is paired with a faster partner. Mara's positioning in the short stint this year has looked better than all of last year. Martin just has to make sure he is paired with someone a little faster though.

Speed is not nearly as much of a problem if: a) positioning is good and B) the player is paired with a faster partner. Mara's positioning in the short stint this year has looked better than all of last year. Martin just has to make sure he is paired with someone a little faster though.

Very true. I'm glad the Mara-Gill pairing is not part of the plan any longer :o

But just think of how many shutouts we could get just by stuffing the combined 19' 2" and 671 pounds of Price, Mara, and Gill in the net. :lol:

New strategy: once we have a lead, Gill and Mara put on extra pads and go lay down across the goal line for the rest of the game

Mara has helped our depleted D. However I would sit Mara for Weber tonight as the Panthers are not a big physical team and therefore Weber should be under less pressure. Plus Weber is far better offensively then half of our D. Against the big team like Bruins or Flyers the ability to put out a veteran big D like Mara could be a good thing for our team. Although I am not positive as it also reduces our teams offensive skill by sitting out Weber and our team already lacks offense.

+1

And FWIW, when I said all the complaining I wasn't trying to sound holier than thou or anything because I was one who didn't like the trade initially (most were) but I'm happy with the way it's played out so I'm glad I wasn't right in this case.

And FWIW, when I said all the complaining I wasn't trying to sound holier than thou or anything because I was one who didn't like the trade initially (most were) but I'm happy with the way it's played out so I'm glad I wasn't right in this case.

I wasn't wild about the trade, but I have to say that so far, it's looking pretty good and I was wrong. Mara seems a far more solid player this time around, but that's probably also because the team plays its system so much more effectively this year (last season, it was basically just "let Halak face 40+ shots a night and hope for the best").

I wasn't wild about the trade, but I have to say that so far, it's looking pretty good and I was wrong. Mara seems a far more solid player this time around, but that's probably also because the team plays its system so much more effectively this year (last season, it was basically just "let Halak face 40+ shots a night and hope for the best").

This. And he drew a double minor...oh wait, that was a regular minor.

Anyway, I'm fine with him being in the lineup for now over Picard and the like.

I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me Mara is injured after that fight. He stopped the fight mid-way through after initiating, and left the ice to the locker immediately after.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's not good...

Let's hope he just needs a band aid for his knuckles.

Great fight today, has room for improvement but you dropped the gloves, good on ya

Mara has done exactly what he had to since he arrived. He's been solid defensively and he's stood up for his teammates physically when needed. He comes to the aid of his teammates in scrums, not just by dropping the gloves necessarily. This is the role I want Moen to be able to play, since it is in every team's best interests to have a forward who can push and scrap rather than having a D man sit for majors and coincidentals, but I certainly do like the toughness we've added to the line-up with Mara, White, and before his injury, Sopel.