The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Paul Mara

roy_133

He was very good tonight in his role. I want to see him back in tomorrow and if Wis is back, I'd sit Spacek.

Really provided some good sandpaper tonight. IMO sit Spacek and keep Mara in tomorrow.

Agreed... he definitely did not look out of place. And seeing Spacek playing the right side again with Hamrlik was scary.

Could Paul Mara replace what Hal Gill brings to the team at a lower cost?

IMO... Paul is, faster, more physical, has good size and a better shot... and paired with the likes of PK Subban the way Gill was would be as effective if not better overall. He is also approximately 5 years younger.

I liked him MUCH better the 2nd time around (mostly cause I saw him play, but then again I didnt have RDS last year so i cant judge) however I doubt we bring him back. He was a depth acquisition to help patch up a battered defense.

Best of luck Paul!

I agree... First time around I didn't like him and it wasn't due to his long term injury. He took bad penalties, was slower than Gill and didn't seem to interested in playing here.

When I first heard we had re-acquired him I couldn't believe my ears!

Funny thing is though, after the way he played his 2nd time around, I found myself asking where he was or why he hadn't dressed for the boston series. He gave us grit on our blueline, made some mistakes, but he wasn't the same player we saw last season. When a scuffle broke out, he was the first one there standing up for his teammates(something really lacking in Montreal). As brief as his stay was, I really enjoyed him the 2nd time around. From his first shift he came out and made his presence known.

Thanx for the service Paul!

I agree... First time around I didn't like him and it wasn't due to his long term injury.

He took bad penalties, was slower than Gill

Was that possible? :lol:

I really enjoyed him the 2nd time around.

Thanx for the service Paul!

This

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 year deal worth under 1 mil, as a depth defenseman. In case of injury, Im not sure if he'd fit in the top 4 and he'd have to be Paul Mara 2.0 from this season not the one we had before.

The Paul Mara who showed up last year would be a decent addition at a league minimum salary to play the role of the 7th guy but for that to happen, Weber would need to be moved up front and I don't know if that's the best thing for him at this time. I believe the Habs are counting on Emelin, Diaz, and Weber to start camp, and the fact is that even after the season starts there will be guys like Mara available to fill in if ever that cohort of youngsters doesn't pan out. That's why there's really no urgency to sign a guy like Mara.

The Paul Mara who showed up last year would be a decent addition at a league minimum salary to play the role of the 7th guy but for that to happen, Weber would need to be moved up front and I don't know if that's the best thing for him at this time. I believe the Habs are counting on Emelin, Diaz, and Weber to start camp, and the fact is that even after the season starts there will be guys like Mara available to fill in if ever that cohort of youngsters doesn't pan out. That's why there's really no urgency to sign a guy like Mara.

Agreed.

There are several third-pairing defensmen who could be had for league minimum right now, but thats not really what we need. We have such a glut of #5-7 dmen, I think a signing like that would be the wrong move. Top 4 dman, definitely.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...