The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game 48,Habs vs Leafs get ready for regular-season finale

Forever_Habs10

Game 48,Habs vs Leafs get ready for regular-season finale

26-04-20137-59-03PM_zpscff7e63f.jpg

Looking at the calendar at the beginning of the season, few people could have predicted the final game between the Habs and the Leafs would hold so much significance.

In the day leading up to the end-of-season showdown between these rival teams, Michel Therrien took the opportunity to give a much needed day off to the better part of his players after arriving in Toronto late the previous night. Only a handful of Habs wound up making the trip to the Leafs’ training facility, the MasterCard Centre, to take part in a few drills. A total of nine players suited up for practice, including goaltender Peter Budaj, who hit the ice under the supervision of assistant coaches Pierre Groulx and Pierre Allard.

Among those players, both Colby Armstrong and Jarred Tinordi looked to get a little work in before a Saturday night match-up at the Air Canada Centre that will mean a lot to both of them, but for decidedly different reasons.

“I was originally expecting to join the team on Sunday, so getting the call earlier was a bit of a surprise, but a nice surprise,” said Tinordi, who was given the opportunity to show what he could bring to the table earlier than expected, and came through with an assist and seven hits in 15:40 of ice time.

“I’m not even really thinking about the playoffs right now and just taking things one game at a time,” added the 6-foot-6 rearguard. “My goal on Thursday night was to bring a physical presence to the lineup, play solidly and show the kind of game I can have. In that sense, I think I turned in a good game. All I’m looking to do now is to keep improving with every game I play.”

Teammate Colby Armstrong had nothing but praise for the young blue-liner when the subject of his return to the team was brought up following Friday’s practice.

"He's a big body and for a young kid he's pretty poised out there and can make some pretty plays. He's rangy and he's got that reach,” expressed the right-winger. “Offensively he can get shots through and even defensively, he bangs hard. He got seven hits last game, so hats off to the way he played – he was a big part of that win."

For Armstrong, going up against his former team in the highly anticipated final game of the season – one that could potentially set up a first-round series between the clubs – would be the extra shot of confidence the Habs need before the puck drops for the playoffs.

"It was nice getting home-ice from that win yesterday and to not leave it to the last game of the season. But more than anything, we're happy with the step we took within our game,” he continued. “Considering the game we have tomorrow and the fact that we might be facing them, we'll need to take another step when we play them on Saturday.

"I think obviously both teams want to be playing their best hockey heading into the playoffs no matter who they're going up against,” added Armstrong, who will play in his third game back on Saturday after missing 10 contests with a knee injury. “It's a definite possibility that we'll be going up against each other, so this makes it feel like it's not just another game at the end of the year."

GOHABS_zpsfc491ddf.jpg

*I attempted to make a video saluteing our comeback season this yr,worked hrs on it but encountered some issues when trying to post in on YouTube,so I will post this video that was created by MrH4bs.....its a habs pump up video & I really wanted to get us all pumped up for tonight's battle with the make-me-laffs....and heading into the post season......ENJOY THE VIDEO GO_HABS_GO_zpsa021b1a8.gif

We die-hard habs fans believe in you boys,and we salute you & thank you for entertaining us this season....

7836357_zps7d043409.jpg

Last 10: Montreal 4-6-0; Toronto 6-3-1

Season series: This is the fifth meeting of the season. The Toronto Maple Leafs have won three of four thus far and have outscored the Montreal Canadiens, 15-7.

Big story: A potential first-round preview, the Canadiens will be attempting to make sure they meet a different team when the Stanley Cup Playoffs begin. A win against the Maple Leafs combined with a Boston Bruins regulation loss in Washington would give the Northeast Division crown to the Canadiens and would ensure they avoid a team that has thoroughly dominated them this season. The Maple Leafs will be looking to hold off the Ottawa Senators to maintain their spot in fifth place in the Eastern Conference.

Team Scope:

Canadiens: The Canadiens called up defenseman Jarred Tinordi for their big 4-2 win in Winnipeg on Thursday that secured home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. Tinordi received 15:40 of ice time, including 1:40 on the Canadiens' struggling penalty kill, had an assist and dished out a game-high seven hits.

It may have been a playoff audition for the big, physical defenseman as he brings a dimension that has been sorely lacking on the Canadiens back end since Alexei Emelin was lost for the season with a knee injury.

"I'm not even really thinking about the playoffs right now and just taking things one game at a time," Tinordi told reporters after practice Friday. "My goal on Thursday night was to bring a physical presence to the lineup, play solidly and show the kind of game I can have. In that sense, I think I turned in a good game. All I'm looking to do now is to keep improving with every game I play."

Maple Leafs: A loss in Tampa Bay on Wednesday coupled with Montreal's win in Winnipeg on Thursday made this game far less significant than it could have been for the Maple Leafs. Had Toronto won that game against the Lightning, this game could have determined home ice advantage in the first round. But the Leafs should still be plenty motivated to win, as it would assure them of finishing in fifth and make a first playoff meeting with the Canadiens since 1979 far more likely. Considering how easily the Maple Leafs have handled Montreal all season, that should be a matchup they favor.

Toronto's 4-0 win in Florida on Thursday saw Nazem Kadri centering the top line with Phil Kessel in place of the injured Tyler Bozak, who may miss this game against Montreal. Kadri assisted on both of Kessel's goals against the Panthers.

Who's hot: For the Canadiens, rookie forward Alex Galchenyuk has six goals and five assists in 12 games and Max Pacioretty has four goals and five assists in eight games. … For the Maple Leafs, Kessel has three goals and five assists in his last four games and Joffrey Lupul has a point in each of his last four games.

Injury report: The Canadiens are missing defenseman Alexei Emelin (knee). … The Maple Leafs may be without Bozak, who was scratched for "maintenance" against Florida.

27-04-20139-48-12AM_zpsc240c37d.jpg

TERRIFIC GDT, FH,,,and many thanks to MrH4bs for putting the video together. Definitley worth watching again before game time.

Would love to see those "guys" humiliated in their barn in the last game of the season and hope to see the boys bring their PO. game.

TERRIFIC GDT, FH,,,and many thanks to MrH4bs for putting the video together. Definitley worth watching again before game time.

Indeed yes Kinot...

As I mentioned,I tried to make a video,never done this before,....but my girlfriend tried to helped me.

It turned out fuzzy :angry: ....so I went with the one above,yes my video was quite long about 6 minutes....I thought it turned out ok for first attempt at making one if not for coming out fuzzy looking :unsure: ...............it's what I came up with,and I welcome any tips from anyone who's made these video's on how I may have made this clearer...tks ;)

:lol: I will work on it ,and figure it out for next time

Would love to see those "guys" humiliated in their barn in the last game of the season .

535593_10151521239045148_2104475092_n_zp

4-1 Leafs. Montreal doesn't have a prayer against the Leafs. The leafs play like the cup is on the line every time they face montreal, and the habs just sit back and do nothing.

I am just praying that none of the habs are injured tonight.

Budaj gets the start tonight per RDS

Not huge issue for me....though kinda surprise to be honest

Montreal doesn't have a prayer against the Leafs.

Lets us pray they do ;)

Amazing GDT kubby! Nice pictures and your video is pretty good too!

hey tks buddy ;) ...like I said,1st time making one....need to figure out why it came out fuzzy once it was loaded to youtube.,cause its not fuzzy on my pc

And awesome video by MrH4bs. :)

indeed

Awesome GDT FH!

thank you

733995_10152710744795391_1316110546_n.jp

I've been praying for some disease to strike the Leafs down but as you can see it doesn't work

;)

Nice GDT FH!

I feel you spectre, I know my phone will be ring and buzzing with calls and texts if the habs lose.

Notice I didn't say if the leafs win? :P

Other than the starting goalie, Therrien doesn't want to divulge his lineup. He told the media that we'll all know it at 7pm

leafs coach said the same thing. Let's see who has the better poker face.

Bit of a surprise, although I suppose resting Carey ahead of the playoffs does make sense.

i know MT when asked about resting players he responded with, "the division title is still up for grabs...".

As you I'm surprised, but we are in the playoffs, that's the most important thing. We may let the leafs have this win, since it'll be the last one for 2012-13 season/playoffs. :P

Fabulous game day thread.

I want it all. I want the Habs to win, I want Boston to lose, I want Montreal to win the division, I want Boston and Toronto to face each other in the first round and kill each other.

I don't care, I want it all. I'm having my bachelor party tonight and it consists of watching the Habs game, poker, and the UFC. But what's important here is Montreal needs to kick the crap out of the Leafs. That will be the icing on the cake for a perfect night.

Make it happen boys.

Go Habs Go!!!!

4-1 Leafs. Montreal doesn't have a prayer against the Leafs. The leafs play like the cup is on the line every time they face montreal, and the habs just sit back and do nothing.

I am just praying that none of the habs are injured tonight.

Sounds about right

The Leafs play a physical game and the Habs don't have the personnel to respond.

Could get nasty if the Leafs want to set the tone for the palyoffs netx week

I am going to be surrounded by 4 leaf fans today at a friends house, hopefully the habs can win it and save me!

Anyways all, have a good time!

yea,I was out numbered also last time we played laffs.....had company over to watch the game............doing the same tonight so will not be on as much but will pop on occasionally .................hope I get the chance to stick it to my leaf buddies tonight,for a change .............GO HABS GO!