The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1, Game #3 ~ Canadiens @ Senators. Sunday, May 5th, 2013.

beaubie

Gotta be happy with the tie after 20 minutes on the road. The Sens came out in a nasty mood but we held in there.

They salvaged a period that looked like a write-off. They deserve some credit, IMO. An adjustment was made mid-period, after they'd been scored on, and it produced a noticeably better result.

Here's why I don't think we'll win this series.

Our special teams are not up to the challenge. Consistently, all season long, our penalty kill has let us down exactly when we need it. And our power play's efficiency rating is masking two related problems: an inability to generate enough scoring chances on a given PP, which is directly related to our horrendous inability to gain the zone quickly and set up. The PP goal tonight wasn't really a PP goal; it was a 3-on-2 rush that just happened to take place on the power play.

If I were Bergevin (or Therrien, whichever of the two makes this decision), I would fire Daigneault immediately after the season ends. The two areas of biggest weakness for us -- penalty kill and general team defense -- are also the areas he's in charge of. He's taken the no. 2 rated PK from last season and neutered it down to the bottom third of the league. We have all the same personnel from last year, but we cannot keep the puck out of our own net on the penalty kill. Even worse, we usually give up those goals early in the penalty, which is absolutely deflating for the unit. We have massive trouble clearing the zone on the first try -- our board clearances are super-weak, and nobody seems to be addressing this as an issue. We lose track of coverage on the rush all the time, particularly the trailing forward or a d-man activating. Again and again, we get scored on in this fashion. We are not a good enough team to play this kind of crappy, sieve-like defense and expect to win a playoff series, particularly against a tight-checking, defensive-minded team like Ottawa.

I hope I'm wrong, but what I've seen out of our ST unit has not made me at all sanguine about our ability to prevail in a seven-game playoff series.

I agree. Pacioretty has been a complete non-factor for a while now. He needs to figure it out and get his game together.

First year of a big contract. Good thing he's not European or else everyone would be questioning his heart and integrity based on nationality. ;)

Pacioretty has been awful thus far, but he's too talented not to come around. Desharnais is the guy who is looking pitiful. He's been useless so far, absolutely useless. No OZone presence, no jam, no playmaking, not even faceoff wins. Here's what happens when his line takes a draw in the OZone: he loses it cleanly, and 10 seconds later, the puck is in our end of the rink, as we fend off a quality scoring chance, because his line's commitment to checking and NZ coverage is pathetic. We may as well be playing a man down with Desharnais on the ice right now. A race for the puck in the corner? Either he falls down before getting there, or he gets bumped off the puck like a feather, falls down, and spends about 100 years getting up while the play goes the other way. We've had some perimeter players on our roster over the years, but I can't think of a weaker, softer one that Desharnais. He is 100% unsuited to playoff hockey.

Hello everybody

hello B)

First year of a big contract. Good thing he's not European or else everyone would be questioning his heart and integrity based on nationality. ;)

Yeah he didn't look good at all to me that's why it's pretty surprising (and impressive?) he managed 39 points in 44 games. Almost a 75 point pace. Nice to see him developing that ability to produce points but now he needs to be more of a force night in, night out

Agreed. PK had every right to be irate, that was an incredibly irresponsible pass that could have led to him being stretchered off the ice.

this

We may as well be playing a man down with Desharnais on the ice right now. A race for the puck in the corner? Either he falls down before getting there, or he gets bumped off the puck like a feather, falls down, and spends about 100 years getting up while the play goes the other way. We've had some perimeter players on our roster over the years, but I can't think of a weaker, softer one that Desharnais.

I really can't shake the feeling that he's a smaller Marcel Hossa who had one really lucky year. There's close to zero chance he'll be traded, so I'm just going to try to hold onto some hope that he can see the problems of this year and work on it during the offseason.

Yeah he didn't look good at all to me that's why it's pretty surprising (and impressive?) he managed 39 points in 44 games. Almost a 75 point pace. Nice to see him developing that ability to produce points but now he needs to be more of a force night in, night out

Yeah, no problem with the production at all, but his ability to be an imposing offensive presence night after night could use some serious work. It's the difference between being a 65-point player or an elite 80+ point guy through 82 games.

I really can't shake the feeling that he's a smaller Marcel Hossa who had one really lucky year. There's close to zero chance he'll be traded, so I'm just going to try to hold onto some hope that he can see the problems of this year and work on it during the offseason.

He needs to work out. He's falling way too easy.