The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

i am not sure where to post this. but hope this gets to Mr. Bergevin. My first game was a long time ago in wpg....jets vs habs.....long story short. Mr Lafleur hooked me in all of two shifts. his beauty and excellence on ice were all i needed to see. i was 5 maybe 6. The habs were the reason for me to play hockey....i wanted to play like the flower!!! fast forward 35 odd years and i have been nothing but a habs fan. thick and thin. never waverd. good years and bad. good coaches and bad. good gms and bad. etc etc. BUT Weber for Subban????? anyone involved in the least in this trade should be fired and banned from any association to les habitants!. subban= a man of passion..for the sport ...for the fans.....for the kids.....for the community. he is far beyond talented. he is far beyond proud of being a Canadien. i know the first rebuttal to this email if Mr. Bergevin were to read this is......Its a business and i did this for the best of the Club. webber is NOT more talented at this point in his career. he is a very talented defenseman....but he is on the backside of his career He will not have time to put into the community that Mr Subban has put and would have put in his career. Mr subban is near his prime and is still getting better.....im stopping right there....i shall ramble on if i dont. To trade a Player like PK Subban at this point in his career is not a business decision is not a good hockey decision.....it is a personality decision for either coach/GM or someone high ranking in the organization...there is no rational argument for it. anyhow. this is the FIRST social media sports post i have ever made. i am not a whiner...i am not a bandwagon fan......BUT you have LOST an ardent HABS fan of 35 plus years because of years and years of horrible stodgy ways on decisions. and if this were to EVER get in front of the eyes of MR SUBBAN......I coach and have coached hockey for years and when i talk to the boys about Players nowadays...very few i recomend for role models....Sidney Crosby, Pavel Datsuk, PK Subban...........thats it thats all. MR. Subban Thank you and good luck in Nashville. I know ill be watching and rooting for you. Keep on Keeping on..... you are doing good things in the right ways............

Thank you(sorry for poor grammar, at work and in a rush)

This.

On the Bergevin vs. Houle thing, I always felt like the Roy trade wasnt that horrible (as noted, it was an emotional trade and we did get back good assets, some flamed out, some just werent as good as projected). Houle's worst trade by far was Turgeon + for Corson + ...and i would say this deal may well be worse than that.

Cringe, I forgot about the Return of Corson.

But Roy trade was bad ... not so much on Houle but that the organization chose Tremblay over Roy

Seriously, Weber overrated? Just check the Nashville forums - while they are ecstatic, they're also torn over seeing a great player and a true leader go.

This trade sure is heartbreaking and I'm far from being a Weber fan, but dissing him like this is ridiculous.

I absolutely agree with this. Weber is still a top 10 defenseman in the NHL. The problems are:

1) he's several years older than PK

2) he plays a punishing game so his 750 + games compared to PK's 430+ is probably more like 3 times as many on his body.

3) he is signed for TEN more years.

4) we know what PK can do on this roster. Weber, who knows.

So, no Weber is no slouch - he's an elite defensman & will still be very good for us...for maybe a couple more years... but why on earth do you make this trade? It makes ZERO sense. Especially 1 for 1. I mean could we not at least have gotten a 1st rounder or a top prospect like Kamenev or Trenin as well as Weber?

I feel gutted.

I wish swearing was allowed on these forums.

I may get warned ... but ... I really feel the color of Mr Subban's skin and his larger than life personality is to blame here.

This wasn't "Les Canadiens featuring PK Subban" it was "Les Canadiens AND PK Subban" ... his community presence, the fact that he was viewed as the face of this franchise rankled MB and MT.

I could've lived with Subban for Josi, Nashville's 1st, and Weber as a cap dump. I wouldn't have wanted to, it would've been completely and utterly unnecessary, but the team wouldn't take a gigantic nosedive. This, on the other hand, is epoch-definingly bad. Bergevin probably shouldn't even be an assistant GM, at this point.

Webber is over rated. He's a horrible possession player ... I'm sure somebody can post a graphic showing it. As to his leadership qualities, the thing Bergevin quotes ... a lot of Pred fans questioned his leadership and drive.

Weber is indeed objectively inferior to Subban in every possible way (and usually by a lot). As for the vaunted "leadership"... the Nashville Predators, under the mighty character-laden wing of Shea Weber, managed to get no further than the second round in the last 6 years. Whereas the Montreal Canadiens, ever burdened by the "flashiness" and "selfish plays" of P.K. Subban, made an ECF. I guess "leadership" just ain't what it used to be.

Someone said it best already.....

MT won

I could've lived with Subban for Josi, Nashville's 1st, and Weber as a cap dump. I wouldn't have wanted to, it would've been completely and utterly unnecessary, but the team wouldn't take a gigantic nosedive. This, on the other hand, is epoch-definingly bad. Bergevin probably shouldn't even be an assistant GM, at this point.

Weber is indeed objectively inferior to Subban in every possible way (and usually by a lot). As for the vaunted "leadership"... the Nashville Predators, under the mighty character-laden wing of Shea Weber, managed to get no further than the second round in the last 6 years. Whereas the Montreal Canadiens, ever burdened by the "flashiness" and "selfish plays" of P.K. Subban, made an ECF. I guess "leadership" just ain't what it used to be.

I think because in MB and MT's eyes Leadership isn't going out and giving 110% ... it's saying the right things and acting the right way as a traditional hockey player .... I mean Darren Pang summed it up best

Weber's first official team image (photoshopped, but still) looks like a hostage proof of life photo. :lol:

13501610_1120177294706280_62372076004728

That's the look of a man who knows he just got traded for the most popular player on his destination team and things are gonna get ugly

Something worth noting is the cap recapture penalty if he retires.

Copied from a reddit post because he explaiined it better then i could

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/4q3x2a/predators_aavs_forsberg_6_million_6_years_josi_4/d4q5wv4

Yep. The key is that there already is cap advantage accrued for the Preds because of this contract. That's based on the past years of the deal. Specifically, there's ~$24.5m of cap advantage accrued at this very moment. That number goes up to $28.7m at the time of the expansion draft.

So let's say Weber goes to Las Vegas and has a nice long career there. But he grows tired of the pain he's endured by age 39 and decides to hang up his skates so he can spend more time with his family rather than play out the final year of his deal. So what happens? Well, Nashville loses $28.6m in cap space for that next season as a cap advantage recapture penalty. Basically, it makes corrects the cap hit from Weber's contract so that it's equal to the salary they actually paid him. And Las Vegas? Well, since they got all of the back-diving years, they get off without any issue.

I think a trade would be way better than just leaving him open for expansion. I need to double-check, but I think they can tap into his cap disadvantaged years by retaining salary. So they'll partially diminish their cap advantage over time.

But overall, I think he's immovable. I mean, the potential of losing of up to $30m in cap space as a penalty, whether it's split over one or five years, would be a huge problem that would really mess up a team.

Edited by I1IscottieI1I

Something worth noting is the cap recapture penalty if he retires.

Copied from a reddit post because he explaiined it better then i could

Yep. Not only is Weber not even close to the same player as Subban, but his contract is actively toxic.

Bergevin traded for this player on this contract straight up. He couldn't manage to get anything else out of Poile.

Yep. Not only is Weber not even close to the same player as Subban, but his contract is actively toxic.

Bergevin traded for this player on this contract straight up. He couldn't manage to get anything else out of Poile.

Absolutely brilliant, so we just acquired the worst contract in hockey and only had to give up our franchise Dman in return? Seems like a shrewd move.

Edited by ChiLla

Oh we wouldnt be paying for it. If he retires nashville will be the ones on the hook for 28 million dollars spread over his remaining contract years. So if he reties at 39 they pay 28 million on their cap that season

Oh we wouldnt be paying for it. If he retires nashville will be the ones on the hook for 28 million dollars spread over his remaining contract years. So if he reties at 39 they pay 28 million on their cap that season

Right, but what we're going to deal with now isn't extactly great, either. And Bergevin traded the second best defenceman in the league for it, straight up, with absolutely nothing else from Nashville. No picks, no prospects, no roster players, no cap dumps. If for some ridiculous reason you want Shea Weber, Nashville has to be made to pay for it.

'Montreal Canadiens fans reacted with shock and anger to the news Wednesday afternoon that star Habs defenceman P.K. Subban has been traded to the Nashville Predators for Shea Weber.

Fans took to Twitter in droves to express their despair over the loss of Subban – the Habs' most popular player by a long shot.

One fan even went so far as to burn his Habs jersey bearing Subban's name and number 76.'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-canadiens-fans-react-subban-trade-nashville-1.3658648

Guest Regis2

Absolutely brilliant, so we just acquired the worst contract in hockey and only had to give up our franchise Dman in return? Seems like a shrewd move.

lol...we did that with Gomez too

The contract isn't actually as bad as it looks... he really only has 6 years left on it

I'm sick over this. He clearly wanted to trade Subban for the best he could get. This is on the rest of our team too. He was too much of a problem for Pleks and Markov and the bunch, they didn't know how to be a teammate with a true winner