The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

This was funny to read because literally just this morning I was explaining to my wife.... who was born in China and was genuinely concerned over my current disposition to put it mildly........ the cycle the habs can't seem to get out of since I was a child, which is build a promising team and then make the absolute stupidest move or moves which just gut us and we have to go through dark days again

Im a little younger than you but for myself it started with chelios, we still won a cup, then we traded Roy who was my absolute biggest hero at the time being a young goalie, and it just never seemed to end.

you left out the whole muller for turgeon for corson, and recchi for zubrus era before even the gomez midget era. cammaleri for bourque, ...just ugh

2 years ago i felt so excited about this new core we had developed and here we are, its now turned its inevitable corner and its now the team of weber and shaw, captain nonfactoretty and the soon to be massively overpaid andrew ladd

staring down at the abyss yet again

this subban trade hurts almost as bad as roy though. the habs have hurt me a lot over the years, but this time i just caught them in bed with the mailman. thats what this is

Take heart Jeff33. As someone already mentioned, these boards are almost therapeutic for us in dealing with all the insane nonsense perpetrated by this scintillating management team. <_<

I don't usually post during the offseason, even if I surf other people's, but I also don't sport the CH over the summer but today felt the need to rock my "Keep Calm and Carey On" shirt in light of recent developments.

Words cannot express my anger/frustration/disappointment/confusion/anxiety over this move.

I've yet to see anything that says we didn't get fleeced except for puff pieces about how other players (ie Toews) are happy that Weber's gone from their division, none of which matter if PK establishes himself as a bigger threat.

Just so sad and sick. I don't even want to think about the off-ice projects that only made Subban one of the classiest Habs.

We had the most electrifying personality in the sport and we swapped him 1-for-1, as if anyone could come close to his value.

This was funny to read because literally just this morning I was explaining to my wife.... who was born in China and was genuinely concerned over my current disposition to put it mildly........ the cycle the habs can't seem to get out of since I was a child, which is build a promising team and then make the absolute stupidest move or moves which just gut us and we have to go through dark days again

Im a little younger than you but for myself it started with chelios, we still won a cup, then we traded Roy who was my absolute biggest hero at the time being a young goalie, and it just never seemed to end.

you left out the whole muller for turgeon for corson, and recchi for zubrus era before even the gomez midget era. cammaleri for bourque, ...just ugh

2 years ago i felt so excited about this new core we had developed and here we are, its now turned its inevitable corner and its now the team of weber and shaw, captain nonfactoretty and the soon to be massively overpaid andrew ladd

staring down at the abyss yet again

this subban trade hurts almost as bad as roy though. the habs have hurt me a lot over the years, but this time i just caught them in bed with the mailman. thats what this is

You are correct, I did forget a few more blunders. Maybe it's because I want to forget. The pain, oh the pain, so much pain.....

They dug a wider foxhole to accommodate Molson. Three blind mice.

4. Don't forget Pacioretty. The teacher's pet has never had Subban's back and has constantly been handed things like the captaincy, the award nominations, and the coach's support when it should have been PK who was named captain and given due recognition. As I've said, I have no doubt Pacioretty had a role in showing PK the door, and I have frankly lost all respect for our supposed captain.

Here's what the hockey world is thinking about this trade. BTW, I just took this pic today and thought it appropo.

IMG_0891_zpsmgbliwk0.jpg

The laffs are definitely on us thanks to the brilliant moves made by this owner & his management team.

Edited by Habs=stanleycup

A two hour breakdown of possibly why subban was traded. You might not like Tony but he made some very good points especially on part 2 of the show. If what he says has any bit of truth to it I can see why montreal thinks they had to do this trades. Also worth noting how close Weberis with Price. Makes you wonder how much Prices imput was considered in this trade.

Part one

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/marinaro-why-pk-subban-was-traded-1.518373

Part two

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/marinaro-no-doubt-pk-was-going-to-be-traded-1.518430

That pathetic trash is exactly why this team never keeps anyone worthwhile. Marinaro is a joke who would be selling insurance in any other NHL market. It's more of a two hour breakdown of why Marinario's mouth is a lot more tolerable when it's being stuffed with food than emitting words.

A day gone and still the hurt is as strong as ever. I listened and searched for reasons on why this was a deal that had to be done and why its a good one. Not a scrap of common sense amongst anything I found.

I always knew Montreal was biased when it came to French speaking players but I am extremely disappointed that it has proven itself a racist organization as well. After listening to numerous blogs, interviews and everything else, the writing is on the wall. The organization is full of "old boys club" antics and hatred to those who don't follow in their footsteps.

I wish PK nothing but ultimate success in Nashville and truly hope he either wins a Cup in the upcoming season and competes for it. As for the Habs, I will no longer stand behind, defend or cheer for an organization full of racist bigots who are so far embedded in history they fail to see what the future held.

Guest habs1952

We had the most electrifying personality in the sport and we swapped him 1-for-1, as if anyone could come close to his value.

The Preds GM David Poile thinks the same: http://www.tsn.ca/inside-the-blockbuster-trades-for-subban-and-hall-1.518611

"I agree," said Poile. "Hey, I'm a general manager, but I'm a fan, too. We're in the entertainment business. We've got some exciting players. I love our goalie and how acrobatic he is, I love Roman Josi rushing the puck or Ryan Ellis rushing the puck, I like the swagger of James Neal, the goal-scoring ability of Filip Forsberg, I like the potential of Ryan Johansen, and now you can add in P.K. Subban -- arguably one of the most energetic and most dynamic players in the National Hockey League."

Here's James Duthie's take on it, which is an interesting view:

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/suthie-canadiens-subban-could-not-handle-what-he-was/

Some of the highlights:

“But I think that’s the most fascinating thing that happened yesterday. It’s an interesting hockey trade, but it’s so much more than that because it’s not a hockey trade. They did not trade P.K. Subban because they wanted Shea Weber. They traded P.K. Subban because they wanted to trade P.K. Subban and get rid of P.K. Subban." (to me, this is the crux of the trade. Despite Bergevin's lie about this being a hockey trade, this was clearly about a coach and a GM and a captain not liking a player's personality and wanting to get rid of him no matter what)

“And think that it is – there’s a real cultural thing here. And I mean more hockey cultural than anything else. That they could not handle what he was. The larger than life personality. The clothes. The social media stuff. To me, that’s lunacy. Because as long as a guy shows up and works hard, which P.K. does, and plays hard, I can’t see why there’s a problem." (PK was more devoted to the team than any other player on the squad. I can remember PK making mistakes, but all his mistakes were because he tried too hard. I don't ever remember him taking a night off. Ditto for Eller, who was also shown the door, but especially true for PK. I don't remember PK badmouthing his teammates once, unlike Pacioretty and Plekanec. And yet there was spite for Subban because he chose to brand himself outside the rink).

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/suthie-canadiens-subban-could-not-handle-what-he-was/

Some of the highlights:

So basically, stodgy thin-skinned people with more sanctimony than talent couldn't stand an individual being better than them on and off the ice and went out of their way to torpedo the team.

So basically, stodgy thin-skinned people with more sanctimony than talent couldn't stand an individual being better than them on and off the ice and went out of their way to torpedo the team.

That's the key. They made a purposeful attempt to make Subban out as the bad guy and then send him packing.

Guest Regis2

If there was a problem in the dressing room , maybe it was the other players , not being professional and going out on the ice and giving 100 % like the teammate that just got traded

Edited by Regis2

If there was a problem in the dressing room , maybe it was the other players , not being professional and going out on the ice and giving 100 % like the teammate that just got traded

It's a real question, particularly given the verbiage used by Bergevin in the trade press conference and that of Therrien, generally. We hear an awful lot about "character" and "leadership". We hear all that after a disastrous season that went completely off the rails. And we hear it after trading for Shea Weber, who is apparently the archetype of leadership and character.

If we're so much of a better team now because of Weber's "leadership", should Shea Weber get the captaincy?

That's the theory I've been arguing. Maybe the real problem was Therrien trying to make everyone jump onto the Subban-is-the-bad-guy bandwagon. Maybe the real problem is Pacioretty being the rah-rah man for that bandwagon. if your supposed leaders (coach and captain) are purposely trying to divide your room, maybe they shouldn't be your coach and captain. Get rid of those two, and perhaps you settle the issue in a better way, and keep your hard-working, consistent players. Subban and Eller were two of the hardest-working guys on the ice, and they're both gone. Streaky players like Pacman, Desharnais, and Plekanec remain here.

We've seen guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Weise, Markov, Price, Beaulieu, and Eller hanging out with PK outside the rink. We've seen those guys joking around with him on twitter. So it seems like those guys didn't have much of a problem with his personality. So maybe the issue was more with the old-school guys who couldn't adapt to the new social media, outspoken types.

Subban and Eller were two of the hardest-working guys on the ice, and they're both gone. Streaky players like Pacman, Desharnais, and Plekanec remain here.

They cannot have it both ways: either "character" is important, or it isn't. If it is—and Marc Bergevin is certainly trying to sell us on it—then I just don't understand how the team expects to go forward with this project without stripping some letters.

Guest Regis2

We've seen guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Weise, Markov, Price, Beaulieu, and Eller hanging out with PK outside the rink. We've seen those guys joking around with him on twitter. So it seems like those guys didn't have much of a problem with his personality. So maybe the issue was more with the old-school guys who couldn't adapt to the new social media, outspoken types.

Weise traded

Eller traded

Beaulieu and Thomas had some fun and Thomas got traded a week later . They cannot afford to trade Beaulieu

Galchenyuk and DSP had some fun . DSP got traded . They cannot afford to move Galchenyuk

Markov appears to have gotten along with PK

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB_4qavmIOP/?taken-by=marki79red

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCzMWdZGIFx/?taken-by=marki79red

It's a real question, particularly given the verbiage used by Bergevin in the trade press conference and that of Therrien, generally. We hear an awful lot about "character" and "leadership". We hear all that after a disastrous season that went completely off the rails. And we hear it after trading for Shea Weber, who is apparently the archetype of leadership and character.

If we're so much of a better team now because of Weber's "leadership", should Shea Weber get the captaincy?

Yes. And honestly, if Patches did have a role in creating a rift and said it's him or me I'd tell him to grab his sticks and leave. I'd still like to point out that we did not get royally screwed here. I wish it didn't happen, but it still created a different sort of future for Montreal.

From Sportsnet:

"No player in the NHL made more plays with the puck per minute played than Subban, while Weber ranked a lowly 216th of 256 in terms of involvement in the play.

Only Erik Karlsson compares favourably to Subban’s contribution in generating scoring chances, and Weber isn’t even among the top 30.

Carrying the puck out is the mark of an elite puck-moving defenceman, and Subban does that at more than three times the rate of Weber.

Even in something as simple as completed passes, Subban’s numbers blow Weber’s out of the water, and this is without even getting into each player’s impact on shot attempt differentials, where Subban is perhaps the best possession defenceman in the NHL the past four years — easily in the top five — and Weber is a consistent negative, despite playing with Josi.

The Canadiens have saved all of $1.14 million in cap space, but committed to an older player for four extra years. They’re on the hook for Weber’s July 1 signing bonus of $8 million and will pay him a total of $54 million until he’s 41 years old. Subban is owed just $58 million until age 33."

In Sportsnet's poll, only 17% feel that the Habs won the trade. 78,295 votes.

Subban_zps6n6dsgno.png

'

Obviously, "someone" didn't do their homework <_<:angry::angry:

Edited by kinot-1

Yes. And honestly, if Patches did have a role in creating a rift and said it's him or me I'd tell him to grab his sticks and leave. I'd still like to point out that we did not get royally screwed here. I wish it didn't happen, but it still created a different sort of future for Montreal.

Yeah well no management team would respond to that and run to trade a star player because another player doesn't like him. It's typical Montreal noise after a big move. Every time a management team makes an AWFUL trade you hear whispers about the outgoing player's personality. It's pretty sad, you have a pretty good idea that it's coming from guys looking to cover the egg on their face for completely botching everything. If Bergevin had given Subban the respect his talent justified, he'd have been signed to a long term, team friendly deal in 2012 and none of this would have happened. Ridiculous management from the day they butchered that bridge contract stance, to letting it go to arbitration and right up until they trade. They came in here predetermined to dislike PK and fought giving him his due every step of the way. It took them an unreasonably long time to talk about him as our number 1 DMan, even as he was winning the Norris in their first year here, it took them forever to put him on the PK even though he was a key part of a FANTASTIC penalty kill squad the year prior to their arrival and they just always talked as if, yeah he's coming along, he's getting better but he has a ways to go still. I've never heard a management team talk about a guy at his level that way constantly. It literally started day 1 and he always had to do 2x as much as anyone else to get his respect from them.

Some of the highlights:

“But I think that’s the most fascinating thing that happened yesterday. It’s an interesting hockey trade, but it’s so much more than that because it’s not a hockey trade. They did not trade P.K. Subban because they wanted Shea Weber. They traded P.K. Subban because they wanted to trade P.K. Subban and get rid of P.K. Subban." (to me, this is the crux of the trade. Despite Bergevin's lie about this being a hockey trade, this was clearly about a coach and a GM and a captain not liking a player's personality and wanting to get rid of him no matter what)

“And think that it is – there’s a real cultural thing here. And I mean more hockey cultural than anything else. That they could not handle what he was. The larger than life personality. The clothes. The social media stuff. To me, that’s lunacy. Because as long as a guy shows up and works hard, which P.K. does, and plays hard, I can’t see why there’s a problem." (PK was more devoted to the team than any other player on the squad. I can remember PK making mistakes, but all his mistakes were because he tried too hard. I don't ever remember him taking a night off. Ditto for Eller, who was also shown the door, but especially true for PK. I don't remember PK badmouthing his teammates once, unlike Pacioretty and Plekanec. And yet there was spite for Subban because he chose to brand himself outside the rink).

It's a great take, but you left out my favorite part: "And I cannot remember in all of my time covering this sport a bigger difference between public perception of someone – and a lot of other people in hockey – and a franchise, an organization’s perception of a player. And it’s baffling to me."

It's a great point because normally when there are rumoured 'poisonous' players, there are some outward signs - like no one was shocked when Riebero was traded. Ya Subban is cocky, energetic, and not the most humble player, but he's never seemed like anything but a great guy. If his public persona was all a charade, I'd expect him to slip up occasionally.

I'm a Seahawks fan in football, and I think of a player kind of like Subban: Richard Sherman. He's cocky, he's arrogant, he has a lot of fun with the media, and he has no issue bragging about his own skills. Fans of other teams understandably hate him for this, but the organization and Seahawks fans love him.