The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2016-17

On 11/11/2016 at 7:45 PM, BigTed3 said:

You talk about Al Montoya being an average goalie who looks good under Therrien. Well Montoya has a 3.15 GAA and .908 save percentage this year (comparable to Condon and Scrivens' numbers by the way). Last year in Florida, he put up a 2.18 GAA and .919 save percentage. He had a .920 save percentage one year in Winnipeg. Winnipeg! And a year with a .921 with the Isles. He's not Carey and he's probably not a starter in the NHL, but he's no slouch as a goalie. FWIW, I have stated several times that I agreed with Therrien's decision to leave him in for the 10 goals against, but that doesn't excuse Therrien from having 3-4 years of awful possession metrics, line combinations, and so on.

SV% for backups is pretty volatile year to year, in between the 2 years you mention he had an .892, he's got a .909 this year and a .909 career. The GAA is obviously high but it's also kind of impressive his numbers aren't worse seeing as he gave up TEN goals in one of his 6 starts.

10 hours ago, roy_133 said:

SV% for backups is pretty volatile year to year, in between the 2 years you mention he had an .892, he's got a .909 this year and a .909 career. The GAA is obviously high but it's also kind of impressive his numbers aren't worse seeing as he gave up TEN goals in one of his 6 starts.

Sure, the numbers will fluctuate a fair bit year to year because the sample sizes are small and allow for a lot of variation. But his .909, as you pointed out, is simply in line with what he's posted throughout his career. My point was not that he's a superstar, but that he's put up good numbers before (and done so with some of the worst organizations in the league) and that it isn't Therrien who has "turned an average goalie into a star" as was suggested. He's a slightly-better-than-average back-up who is playing as such, no more and no less.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Sure, the numbers will fluctuate a fair bit year to year because the sample sizes are small and allow for a lot of variation. But his .909, as you pointed out, is simply in line with what he's posted throughout his career. My point was not that he's a superstar, but that he's put up good numbers before (and done so with some of the worst organizations in the league) and that it isn't Therrien who has "turned an average goalie into a star" as was suggested. He's a slightly-better-than-average back-up who is playing as such, no more and no less.

Well and he's a former very high draft pick who is quite a skilled player. He's no spring chicken but goalies do mature later some times and if that happens with Montoya (and he does indeed find the next level) I think we can agree it would be the tutelage of Waite and playing alongside the best goalie on the planet - not - because of Therrien. 

10 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Tonight's line juggling was so mind boggling.  Totally illogical and the resulting performance speaks itself.  

This. Didnt see the game but got the updates & every time i heard who was on the ice together I was like 

Wait-what.jpg

3 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Coach's fixation with DD is also mind boggling.

This. 

So let me get this right... You're down by a goal, pull the goalie for the extra attacker, and then send Desharnais out there for the last 70-80 seconds to tie it while having your PPG center Galchenyuk sit on the bench? The same Desharnais who's recently been scratched for obvious reasons?

I'm not saying having Galchenyuk play an extended shift to end the game would have automatically taken us to OT but what possible justification is there to go with Desharnais like at all? I'd rather have Plekanec or even Carr out there and plant him in front of the goalie. Hudon would've been another option, he played a good game last night I think.

Coach T's latest explanation/excuse for the Carolina loss: 

"I think the effort was there," Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said after the loss to the Hurricanes. "You need puck luck and we don't have the puck luck lately."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/habs-leafs-trending-opposite-directions-070017385--nhl.html

22 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

"I think the effort was there," Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said after the loss to the Hurricanes. "You need puck luck and we don't have the puck luck lately."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/habs-leafs-trending-opposite-directions-070017385--nhl.html

We haven't had a good coach lately either, Mike.

39 minutes ago, kinot-1 said:

We haven't had a good coach lately either, Mike.

Totally. A coach talking about 'puck luck' as a reason for a loss doesn't cut it. It happens sometimes but it's an easy cop out for failing to address the deeper issues within his own lack of skill-sets as a coach IMO.

2 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Almost like the only way he can win a game is through luck.

4 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Totally. A coach talking about 'puck luck' as a reason for a loss doesn't cut it. It happens sometimes but it's an easy cop out for failing to address the deeper issues within his own lack of skill-sets as a coach IMO.

Guess there's a reason why they removed the "No excuses" sign.  This coach is all about excuses. You're right it is a cop out and I swear if I have to hear him say puck luck was the reason why they lost again I think I'll lose it.   

The team was supposed to bank in as many points as possible, before the western road trip starts.  These were buffer points to keep the team in a playoff spot. 

How many of these has he squandered since the Chicago game due to inept line juggling and personal deployment?

4 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

The team was supposed to bank in as many points as possible, before the western road trip starts.  These were buffer points to keep the team in a playoff spot. 

How many of these has he squandered since the Chicago game due to inept line juggling and personal deployment?

This :wut2:

8 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Agreed.

The problem is that after setting several records for futility last season one has to think he's nigh untouchable this year.  I mean if that couldnt get him fired, what will? 

Pateryn has been a healthy scratch for seven games this season, including five of the last seven. After the morning skate the defenceman spoke about how tough it is mentally when you know any mistake you make could take you out of the lineup again.

“It’s really hard … there’s no easy way to put it,” said Pateryn, who has 1-2-3 totals in 13 games and is even in plus/minus. “It’s almost impossible … it’s just really hard to play that way.

“It’s just human nature,” he added. “You get that feeling and you get that reinforcement that as soon as you make a mistake, you’re going to sit … it’s kind of hard to play to not make a mistake and not worry about that. It’s been like that for a while … I’m just trying to mentally get past that.”

When asked if head coach Michel Therrien or defence coach J.J. Daigneault had pointed out anything specific they wanted Pateryn to improve on or stop doing, the defenceman said: “No. There hasn’t been anything. I kind of take care of that on my own. A mistake’s a mistake … every player knows when they make a mistake. It’s not like an argument over whether or not it was a mistake. You know what you did and you try to learn from it and not let it happen again.”

NICE

coach T, all day, err day

50 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

Pateryn has been a healthy scratch for seven games this season, including five of the last seven. After the morning skate the defenceman spoke about how tough it is mentally when you know any mistake you make could take you out of the lineup again.

“It’s really hard … there’s no easy way to put it,” said Pateryn, who has 1-2-3 totals in 13 games and is even in plus/minus. “It’s almost impossible … it’s just really hard to play that way.

“It’s just human nature,” he added. “You get that feeling and you get that reinforcement that as soon as you make a mistake, you’re going to sit … it’s kind of hard to play to not make a mistake and not worry about that. It’s been like that for a while … I’m just trying to mentally get past that.”

When asked if head coach Michel Therrien or defence coach J.J. Daigneault had pointed out anything specific they wanted Pateryn to improve on or stop doing, the defenceman said: “No. There hasn’t been anything. I kind of take care of that on my own. A mistake’s a mistake … every player knows when they make a mistake. It’s not like an argument over whether or not it was a mistake. You know what you did and you try to learn from it and not let it happen again.”

NICE

That pretty much sums up coach T's style. You gotta wonder how much influence Muller has in all this, if at all.

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

NICE

Too bad we cant press-box the coach when he makes a mistake. 

Lets see he has us at number 1 in the league. Carey has not been brilliant in a couple of games and actually may have lost those games for us. Rask and Rhinne have been winning those games for the team they play for. (mind you it must be awful wearing that jersey in Nashville, its beyond silly) Maybe its not the coach doing a bad job, Maybe letting the players pick the captain was a bad decision. Maybe Petry is not a top 4 defenseman and Pateryn should be in the minors. Thats all on MB not the coach. Sidenberg woud of been a great fit here in the summer but it was not done we chose Redmond, lets lay the blame where it belongs. Thats all on the GM, not the coach.

You're right, Petry's a top 2 defenseman, not top 4. Meh. We've been doing this "look at the record" stuff for 5 seasons now. Nothing's changed and the same fundamental issues with the way the team approaches the game remain.

Edited by Noob616
1 hour ago, tony5775 said:

Lets see he has us at number 1 in the league. Carey has not been brilliant in a couple of games and actually may have lost those games for us. Rask and Rhinne have been winning those games for the team they play for. (mind you it must be awful wearing that jersey in Nashville, its beyond silly) Maybe its not the coach doing a bad job, Maybe letting the players pick the captain was a bad decision. Maybe Petry is not a top 4 defenseman and Pateryn should be in the minors. Thats all on MB not the coach. Sidenberg woud of been a great fit here in the summer but it was not done we chose Redmond, lets lay the blame where it belongs. Thats all on the GM, not the coach.

1. he has us no.1 in the league......nope. carey has us no. 1 in the league. and when you say he hasn't been brilliant and maybe thats why we lost a couple...well that tells you everything right there

2. so he's doing a great job except he is handcuffed because the players picked a bad captain?  what does that have to do with anything? sorry that confused me

3. petry has been very good this year and pateryn HAS been in the minors/pressbox....but anyway im with you that this roster aint great and im with you that MB can join him on the unemployment line, however as the coach you gotta make the most of what you got.......so basically what we can conclude here is that coach T would be great if the roster was great. well...so would I. his job is to make the best of whatever he gets. if he can't find ways to do more with less, what is his job exactly. 

look at what pateryn had to say, which is ironically what a discomforting amount of ex doghouse guys have had to say......1. you are on eggshells, one mistake and your out. (which is hand in hand with the fact that other guys on the team have a seemingly endless leash) 2. no one tells you what exactly they want from you.  cup winning stuff.

5 hours ago, jeff33 said:

NICE

It's incredible how this capricious, outdated, deeply mediocre coach has been kept around this long. And thanks to a hot start solely attributable to Carey Price, he's going to be allowed to waste yet another season.

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

There is a feeling, right or wrong , we wont know until MT is  gone , and that will never happen so long as MB is GM , that this team could be better with a different coach . Look at MT 's previous team , the Penguins , they were sputtering around playing like crap until they got rid of him , then went on to win the Cup .

These comments  from when he got fired sound like how some people here feel

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/penguins-axe-coach-michel-therrien-1.848301

Asked how much the Penguins collapse entered into the decision to fire Therrien, Shero said, , it "It wasn't so much the outcome was how the game was played

He said the Penguins, who played a tight defensive style under Therrien, need to get back to being a fast, offensive-driven team.

"With the strengths we have, we should be able to go into buildings and make teams deal with the quality of players we have at every position," Bylsma said. "I look at a group that can win games right now, and we need to do that. We can do this, but the players have to believe we can do this."

3. petry has been very good this year and pateryn HAS been in the minors/pressbox....but anyway im with you that this roster aint great and im with you that MB can join him on the unemployment line, however as the coach you gotta make the most of what you got.......so basically what we can conclude here is that coach T would be great if the roster was great. well...so would I. his job is to make the best of whatever he gets. if he can't find ways to do more with less, what is his job exactly. 

It seems that he is getting the most with what he has. Thank you for proving my point. He has this team in first. Carey like all good goalies is part of the team. We sure do not have a Pittsburg offense, so lets not even talk about that.