The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Some people are saying he's one of four players from this draft who could play in the NHL this season. Doubt it happens but I'd like to see him get at least 9 games.

If he does impress at training camp I don't see why not. In fact, Weber would be an ideal mentor IMO. And I also believe it would solve the issue regarding a #2 d-man. Though Beaulieu remains in contention, my gut tells me Mikhail would have a greater potential and impact even at his current age. Acquiring him makes the Subban trade less hard to swallow. And possibly that may have factored into why the trade was made.

If he does impress at training camp I don't see why not. In fact, Weber would be an ideal mentor IMO. And I also believe it would solve the issue regarding a #2 d-man. Though Beaulieu remains in contention, my gut tells me Mikhail would have a greater potential and impact even at his current age. Acquiring him makes the Subban trade less hard to swallow. And possibly that may have factored into why the trade was made.

You know what, after the trade, I thought back to our 1st round pick. How we jumped over the big centre and drafted a dman.

Granted, not the same type of dmen, I believe Sergy is a left handed shot and left side dman. He should be a great replacement for marky.

And if he's as mature as some scouts are claiming, we could see him with the club maybe this season or the next.

I agree, Weber could be a great mentor for Sergy. Sadly, he could've been a great mentor for Tinordi as well, but that ship has already sailed.

• 2 months later...

To be fair, I think their plan is to keep him up BUT they don't want him playing more than 41 games. If I'm not mistaken that means he burns a year of ELC but if he plays less than 41 games it doesn't burn a year of RFA. Hard to say if its the right move, but if they don't think he can learn much more in junior, maybe it is. 

Keep him and play him .

If other NHL teams can have rookies  make it and be successful , then why can't the Habs.

I forgot MT is the coach and his system doesn't allow for a player to excel

On 10/16/2016 at 3:23 PM, Regis22 said:

Keep him and play him .

If other NHL teams can have rookies  make it and be successful , then why can't the Habs.

I forgot MT is the coach and his system doesn't allow for a player to excel

If he was a grinder/mucker/4th line checker he'd be getting 20 minutes a night from MT

A full season in Junior would probably help him more than 41 games with the big club, if thats really the plan.

Not to mention you can pretty much guarantee that if this is really what our plan is we'll get to 41 games, have several injuries on the blueline and he'll be forced to play that 42nd game, burning off the year on his ELC with none of the benefits of playing a full season. 

55 minutes ago, maas_art said:

A full season in Junior would probably help him more than 41 games with the big club, if thats really the plan.

Not to mention you can pretty much guarantee that if this is really what our plan is we'll get to 41 games, have several injuries on the blueline and he'll be forced to play that 42nd game, burning off the year on his ELC with none of the benefits of playing a full season. 

On Thurs,,, Sergy played 17 shifts and 11:48 TOI. All other D-men played 28 shifts or more. He should be sent down to get more ice-time.

Looked a bit better last night quicker and more in tune with NHL speed hockey. I think easing him in slowly is a good move he is very young better to build him up over a few games than to send him in hot and over his head! he still has to get used to the pace and the headhunting that goes on at this level. if after 5 games or so he still does not seem to be steady enough to stay he needs to go but he looks like he is going to be the best dman we have had in a long long time.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:49 AM, ramcharger440 said:

Looked a bit better last night quicker and more in tune with NHL speed hockey. I think easing him in slowly is a good move he is very young better to build him up over a few games than to send him in hot and over his head! he still has to get used to the pace and the headhunting that goes on at this level. if after 5 games or so he still does not seem to be steady enough to stay he needs to go but he looks like he is going to be the best dman we have had in a long long time.

I completely agree. I think it's human nature and just being a fan to want to see a young player with great potential to be a star right away and being played big minutes. I agree with easing them in and not rushing them, especially with defenseman. You want to keep their confidence up. Also as we sit we have a decent top 4 so we don't need to rush him. I hope he stays the season because going back to juniors not the AHL even with more minutes I don't think would be as beneficial. I say that because he would being playing against kids where as he needs to play against men at this point. Even if he doesn't get big minutes this year if he's up with the big club he'll learn from guys like Markov and Weber what it takes to be a pro. It's still a small sample but I like what I'm seeing so far.

I kind of see this kid as the best of both worlds.  He's got the skating and skill of a young Markov, coupled with the size and heavy hitting of Emelin.  I believe this kid to be a complete package D-man.  I also believe it's time to send one of either Pateryn or Redmond packing, if not both.  I'm tired of this healthy scratch nonsense.  I feel Sergachev gives us a better chance to win than Redmond and Pateryn combined.