The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#53 Victor Mete

Manatee-X

Just now, Ravadak said:

He has looked really really good, even more so on the defensive side. He just shows no panic at all, just keeps going about his business. 

I would start this kid in every overtime. 

JC seems to be adding to his duties every game. The big test will be how he adjusts to teams the second time around, because we all know they'll be hunting for flaws to take advantage of. Right now, he's looking pretty solid.

17 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

really good player. were we just lucky with him or did the team actually know he was this good? i think i will vote for the former.

They knew he was good. Im not sure if they knew he was that good.  Apparently Julien had him on his radar before Training camp (which explains why he was paired with Weber right out of the gates) but Im not sure anyone knew his mental/maturity level would be this high at his age. If they did, he would have been a top 10 pick in the draft - he's ready several years before he should be. 

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

They knew he was good. Im not sure if they knew he was that good.  Apparently Julien had him on his radar before Training camp (which explains why he was paired with Weber right out of the gates) but Im not sure anyone knew his mental/maturity level would be this high at his age. If they did, he would have been a top 10 pick in the draft - he's ready several years before he should be. 

Mete slid in the draft because of his size. A lot of teams stay away from smaller defencemen, even though there are quite a few success stories in today's NHL. I think he also blossomed a bit more the year after he was picked rather than the year before, as he got more playing time in junior. Like a lot of picks in the lower rounds, I think the Habs saw things they liked and gambled he could put it all together.

30 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Like a lot of picks in the lower rounds, I think the Habs saw things they liked and gambled he could put it all together.

I get the sense that if Timmins had been allowed, he would have made a lot more gambles but ultimately Bergevin usually went with the 'safe' pick. 

Biggest thing that's amazed me is the TOI he's getting from a generally conservative-ish coach. They managed his minutes for the game vs. Washington but I think they realized he's better than Benn anyway lol. He really isn't getting sheltered beyond not killing penalties, otherwise he's getting lots of important 5v5 minutes.

2 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Biggest thing that's amazed me is the TOI he's getting from a generally conservative-ish coach. They managed his minutes for the game vs. Washington but I think they realized he's better than Benn anyway lol. He really isn't getting sheltered beyond not killing penalties, otherwise he's getting lots of important 5v5 minutes.

He did get 5:35 in PP time tho. 

As good as he's been, if we dont turn things around in the next couple of games id consider sending him back to Junior.   No point in burning years off the ELC if this season is going to end up being the mess it seems like its going to be. Being around that much negativity could hurt him. 

On 10/18/2017 at 8:32 AM, maas_art said:

As good as he's been, if we dont turn things around in the next couple of games id consider sending him back to Junior.   No point in burning years off the ELC if this season is going to end up being the mess it seems like its going to be. Being around that much negativity could hurt him.  

I wouldn't. He's handling himself well here. He has nothing left to learn in junior and he's not losing confidence being in the NHL, which is the major reason not to keep young D men up. But there's no substitute for NHL experience if you can get it for him. It may burn a year off his ELC, but he'll be better next year and the year after and the year after that if we keep him up.

Yeah that's a hard disagree for me as well. He's playing at a top 4 NHL level in top 4 NHL minutes, to me he's going to develop much better in the NHL than dominating a bunch of teenagers. 

To me if a player can hang at the NHL level in a non-depth role that's the best place for their development. I also think the Habs need to really swing for the fences with Mete, waiting another year or two just risks that when he hits his prime Price's knee blows up again.

He should stay. I, too, considered the possibility of sending him down to save a year on his entry-level contract, but... who cares? If the organization is that worried about saving less than a million dollars, we're in bigger trouble than I thought. Keep him around, let him play, and we'll have a better hockey player for it in the future.

Ninth game last night.   

Julien said that the 10 game rule wont even factor into the decision. If he gets sent down "at some point" it will be because they think its better for his development.  So it seems like coach is 100% behind keeping him in the bigs.  He did say that the final decision was "not his" though so I suppose if he does get set down its all on Bergevin. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ninth game last night.   

Julien said that the 10 game rule wont even factor into the decision. If he gets sent down "at some point" it will be because they think its better for his development.  So it seems like coach is 100% behind keeping him in the bigs.  He did say that the final decision was "not his" though so I suppose if he does get set down its all on Bergevin. 

I'd peg the odds of his being sent back to junior at this point at less than 1%. MB and CJ want to win now, and Bergevin knows he may not have a job next year, so I don't see him worrying about saving Mete for down the line. Mete has been one of our top 2 defencemen along with Weber, and the pickings are very slim on the left side right now, so it's not like CJ has any other options until Schlemko's back or unless Jerabek gets recalled.

13 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd peg the odds of his being sent back to junior at this point at less than 1%. MB and CJ want to win now, and Bergevin knows he may not have a job next year, so I don't see him worrying about saving Mete for down the line. Mete has been one of our top 2 defencemen along with Weber, and the pickings are very slim on the left side right now, so it's not like CJ has any other options until Schlemko's back or unless Jerabek gets recalled.

I agree.  I think initially they may have planned on using Mete as a placeholder until Schlemko was back or Jerabek was ready. But he's easily been one of our 2 best (really the only 2 that have been consistently NHL level this year! yikes) and deserves to stay.  

My concern is still over the potential for negativity (if we turn into this year's avalanche that cant be good for a developing player) but I have  sneaking suspicion we'll start to turn things around now.