The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#53 Victor Mete

Manatee-X

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder if the Habs will release him to go to the Memorial Cup, if they're asked? 

If you meant World Juniors I think there's a pretty decent chance of it if Schlemko is back. Memorial Cup is very unlikely, his OHL rights are with London and they're bad this year so he'd have to get traded to another team before the trade deadline (mid January I think). 

5 hours ago, Noob616 said:

If you meant World Juniors I think there's a pretty decent chance of it if Schlemko is back. Memorial Cup is very unlikely, his OHL rights are with London and they're bad this year so he'd have to get traded to another team before the trade deadline (mid January I think). 

I stand corrected.

Bergevin was asked if there’s a possibility rookie defenceman Victor Mete could be loaned to Team Canada for the world junior championship.

The GM didn’t rule out that possibility, adding he has time to make that decision since the tournament doesn’t start until next month and that Mete will be evaluated on a day-to-day basis.

11 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Yeah I think between Schlemko coming back and Jerabek doing so well (10P in 13GP) in Laval they'll send him to the WJC to get a look at those guys and give him a big role on Team Canada.

Definitely not a bad choice.  Playing in high end tournaments often really helps young players with their (mental) development. 

I would like to see him in the WJC. But not returned to Junior. If anything, loaning him for the WJC allows Jerabek an opportunity to play in the NHL. We should probably see if we have a competent NHL-level defender with Jerabek... If so, when Mete returns, we can return attempt to return someone else to Laval (Morrow?).

Excerpt from the London Free Press today:

"But just the other day, the Montreal Gazette ran a Marc Dumont number-crunching column that suggests Shea Weber has been at his best while playing with Mete, the speedy teenager."

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Excerpt from the London Free Press today:

"But just the other day, the Montreal Gazette ran a Marc Dumont number-crunching column that suggests Shea Weber has been at his best while playing with Mete, the speedy teenager."

Yeah i posted that article on Weber's page. The article was more about how Weber was elevating all his partners' plays but that Julien is mostly using him to make his partners better, rather than complement Weber with the best possible partner.  

Despite the title of the article, the stats dumont posts show that Weber has actually been better with Benn (albeit in a much smaller sample size) 

- When paired with rookie Victor Mete (53 CF%, 60 HDCF%)   - Jordie Benn (55 CF%, 70 HDCF%)  -  Alzner (46 CF%, 36 HDCF%)

However, i fully agree with you Kinot, and the title of the article - right now, Mete is the guy Weber should be paired with.  Maybe Jerebak is even a better choice, but definitely we should be pairing weber with the best available, complimentary LD, not the guy who needs Weber's help the most.

Right now, to me, when everyone is healthy (and assuming JJ will have as much success here as he's had in Laval):

Mete/JJ - Weber

JJ/Mete - Petry
Schlemko-Benn
Morrow

Alzner should be actively shopped.  We wont get much for him (and may have to take back a contract) but he's of absolutely no use to us. A team with a lot more mobile defense may well be able to use him effectively. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i posted that article on Weber's page. The article was more about how Weber was elevating all his partners' plays but that Julien is mostly using him to make his partners better, rather than complement Weber with the best possible partner.  

Despite the title of the article, the stats dumont posts show that Weber has actually been better with Benn (albeit in a much smaller sample size) 

- When paired with rookie Victor Mete (53 CF%, 60 HDCF%)   - Jordie Benn (55 CF%, 70 HDCF%)  -  Alzner (46 CF%, 36 HDCF%)

However, i fully agree with you Kinot, and the title of the article - right now, Mete is the guy Weber should be paired with.  Maybe Jerebak is even a better choice, but definitely we should be pairing weber with the best available, complimentary LD, not the guy who needs Weber's help the most.

Right now, to me, when everyone is healthy (and assuming JJ will have as much success here as he's had in Laval):

Mete/JJ - Weber

JJ/Mete - Petry
Schlemko-Benn
Morrow

Alzner should be actively shopped.  We wont get much for him (and may have to take back a contract) but he's of absolutely no use to us. A team with a lot more mobile defense may well be able to use him effectively. 

Part of the problem is that we have next to no offence, and if you don't have a good offence, you had better have a dam good defense. Take for instance the Pens. The have a terrible defense, but a decent offence, and because of that, they have a wild card spot, and they have a goal differential of -19, the worst of all PO teams.

Mete belongs in the top 4, if not the top 2. 

i agree with you that Alzner should be off the team in one way or another (waived?). 

He's still in the top half of guys on our NHL team, and since we've already burned the contract year I really don't see what he could possibly gain going back to Junior.  That's not to say it won't happen, mind you, but if it does I won't like it.

I'd be happy to see him go play in the WJC though.  It's only a short tournament, but it's still relatively high-quality hockey and it could hopefully give him a chance to play a big role in some big games.  That sort of experience could be helpful if we can ever manage make it into the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

He's still in the top half of guys on our NHL team, and since we've already burned the contract year I really don't see what he could possibly gain going back to Junior.  That's not to say it won't happen, mind you, but if it does I won't like it.

I'd be happy to see him go play in the WJC though.  It's only a short tournament, but it's still relatively high-quality hockey and it could hopefully give him a chance to play a big role in some big games.  That sort of experience could be helpful if we can ever manage make it into the playoffs.

From what I understand, most GMs could care less about the 9/10 threshold but are very aware of the 39/40.   Ive heard more than a couple of Montreal analysts saying there's no way Mete makes it to 40 games.  

Like you said, I dont see there's any real value to him going to junior - he wont learn any more there - but I also dont think they will burn a year off his UFA eligibility so its unlikely he will play past game 39 this season.  They may well keep him with the club, put him in the pressbox etc, but i would highly doubt he suits up for #40 unless we run into severe injury issues.

I dont think id agree with the move (as you noted, he's been - easily - among our top 6 defenders) but, it is what it is. 

I think he stays with the team for the next couple weeks then goes to the World Juniors and we'll see what happens after that. If the Habs D meshes and the addition of Schlemko and Jerabek gets things rolling, I think he gets sent down. If they continue to struggle and plug Benn, Morrow, Jerabek, and Schlemko around the lineup trying to find a fit, I could see them keeping Mete around until at least game 39.

It looks like a log jam right now but a lot could change in a few weeks. Weber's been injured on and off, Schlemko's hand seems to be made of papier-mâché, Alzner has a long iron man streak but he's in his late 20s and had a hernia surgery 18 months ago. Petry had a hernia 2 seasons ago. Davidson has been injured on and off throughout his career. If even one of those guys goes down with a long term injury I think they might just have to keep Mete the rest of the year. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

From what I understand, most GMs could care less about the 9/10 threshold but are very aware of the 39/40.   Ive heard more than a couple of Montreal analysts saying there's no way Mete makes it to 40 games.  

Like you said, I dont see there's any real value to him going to junior - he wont learn any more there - but I also dont think they will burn a year off his UFA eligibility so its unlikely he will play past game 39 this season.  They may well keep him with the club, put him in the pressbox etc, but i would highly doubt he suits up for #40 unless we run into severe injury issues.

I dont think id agree with the move (as you noted, he's been - easily - among our top 6 defenders) but, it is what it is. 

He's cheap so if he's an asset to the team I can't see him being sent down just to save a year on his UFA eligibility. Why pay someone more to do less?

19 hours ago, maas_art said:

From what I understand, most GMs could care less about the 9/10 threshold but are very aware of the 39/40.   

That's the first I've heard of a 40-game limit.  So then is it 10 games to burn a year off the entry-level deal and 40 to burn a year of the teams' rights overall?

7 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

That's the first I've heard of a 40-game limit.  So then is it 10 games to burn a year off the entry-level deal and 40 to burn a year of the teams' rights overall?

Yeah i think it was part of the newest CBA.  10 games for the ELC  and 40 games puts you 1 year closer to UFA.  " a player can become an unrestricted free agent at age 27 or after 7 'Accrued Seasons' (an accrued season being one where a player spent 40 or more games on the roster)."  So if Mete plays more than 39 games this year he is UFA eligible at age 26.

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i think it was part of the newest CBA.  10 games for the ELC  and 40 games puts you 1 year closer to UFA.  " a player can become an unrestricted free agent at age 27 or after 7 'Accrued Seasons' (an accrued season being one where a player spent 40 or more games on the roster)."  So if Mete plays more than 39 games this year he is UFA eligible at age 26.  

I don't have an issue with the World Juniors (though I think that is way overrated ) as long as the team is winning and can spare him. I do want him up with the big club though as I don't think Juniors will do anything for him playing with and against kids. I would also rather him keeping regular shifts with the Habs!

• 2 weeks later...