The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#53 Victor Mete

Manatee-X

I wish him good fortune and hope he does well. I think the world juniors is way overrated. That said it's better than him sitting in the press box. I hope afterword though he comes back to the team and doesn't go down to junior "kids" hockey. I think that would be a giant step backwards. That said I wish him luck!

On 12/11/2017 at 7:49 PM, CaptWelly said:

I wish him good fortune and hope he does well. I think the world juniors is way overrated. That said it's better than him sitting in the press box. I hope afterword though he comes back to the team and doesn't go down to junior "kids" hockey. I think that would be a giant step backwards. That said I wish him luck!

Ya.  He's played 27 games now.  The WJC will keep him busy for a bit but the question will be whether they try to use him sparingly (so he doesnt hit 40 games) or if they send him back to junior.

I know burning a year for your UFA eligibility is a tough one but his development wont progress in junior.  They made the decision to burn a year off his ELC so i think they have to follow through now, regardless of the 40 game / UFA rule. 

• 3 weeks later...

Olympics: Victor Mete among juniors eyed by Olympic team.

"“A guy that can play half the season or more than a quarter of the season in the NHL and hold his own is definitely somebody that I think is ahead of the curve for most of these players. And that’s not lost on us,” Burke said of Mete, who missed Tuesday’s quarterfinal with a lower-body injury. “Obviously we’ve watched Victor play, he’s on our radar and he’s a guy we’re going to watch closely in the next couple of games.”

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

He's joining the Habs next week. I wonder if maybe Hockey Canada wasn't willing to commit to bringing him to the Olympics so the Habs decided he'd be better in the NHL than risking sending him back to the OHL

Quite possibly.  13 more games before we burn a year off his UFA eligibilty.  Curious to see if MB will do it.  He's easily one of our six best so the decision shouldnt be hard.  MB wont be here in 7 years (I hope!) so the 40game/ufa thing shouldnt be a concern of his anyway.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Quite possibly.  13 more games before we burn a year off his UFA eligibilty.  Curious to see if MB will do it.  He's easily one of our six best so the decision shouldnt be hard.  MB wont be here in 7 years (I hope!) so the 40game/ufa thing shouldnt be a concern of his anyway.

More like he will be our #1! LOL! really though he is at least our #3 i figure Petry and Webber are ahead of him but that's it which is crazy!

Sounds like Mete is coming back to the NHL. Good move. As much as it would have made the Olympics that much more watchable for me, I think it's best for him to be playing with the big boys in the NHL! 

7 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

Sounds like Mete is coming back to the NHL. Good move. As much as it would have made the Olympics that much more watchable for me, I think it's best for him to be playing with the big boys in the NHL! 

This to me is just another poor decision by MB.    Mete is not going to make or break the Canadiens and he'd be much better off playing in junior with the Knights and possibly the Olympics where he'll have a chance to experience successful teams and grow rather than be subjected to the toilet bowl the Habs are headed to.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

That's my thoughts

Why come back here and play 8 minutes a game for a non play off team

The goal should be to tank not try to just squeak into the playoffs which isn't going to happen

Unless he has a commitment from the Olympics. He should come back to the Habs. The worlds was different it's all the top players on solid teams and all either drafted or close. If he goes back to juniors he'll be playing against kids which isn't going to help him at all , could actually set him back. At this stage he needs to continue with strong competition not lesser. If he could go to the AHL I would say there maybe, but he's earned his spot here and should stay and develop. There could be injuries or maybe CJ will come around and just play him and let get more experience. Just training and learning how the way NHL players prepare ect. is worth it for him to stay and learn.

After winning a gold medal with Team Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championship, 19-year-old defenceman Victor Mete will rejoin the Canadiens when they practise Friday in Brossard after having a few days to relax.

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

If he goes back to juniors he'll be playing against kids which isn't going to help him at all , could actually set him back. At this stage he needs to continue with strong competition not lesser. If he could go to the AHL I would say there maybe, but he's earned his spot here and should stay and develop. There could be injuries or maybe CJ will come around and just play him and let get more experience. Just training and learning how the way NHL players prepare ect. is worth it for him to stay and learn.

Hes still a kid himself.

Unless they will play him a lot of minutes there s not pointing staying here under a losing atmosphere .

They didn't keep Sergachev last year for all those reasons why do it now for 1/2 a lost season

10 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

This to me is just another poor decision by MB.    Mete is not going to make or break the Canadiens and he'd be much better off playing in junior with the Knights and possibly the Olympics where he'll have a chance to experience successful teams and grow rather than be subjected to the toilet bowl the Habs are headed to.

Respectfully disagree, this kid is way too good for junior, it will do very little for his development at this point...learn with the big guys.