The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2017-18

habs_93

20 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Ugh, so he goes UFA in three years... That doesn't seem like good asset management to me.

My hope is that within those 3 years we'll have a new GM who will give him an 8 year deal on July 1 in 2 years. 

Hopefully he emerges as a top line talent, maybe even a 1C, before his contract is up, and we extend him long term before he hits the UFA market.  

I'd say he's worth 4.9 as he is right now.  If he takes it to the next level, he'll get a big contract.  If he plateaus, he's still going to be a solid top 6 player.

8 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

How did JD get q big payout and AG get only 3 yrs

What's the logic ?

We dont value our own players.  We value players on other organization.  In this case its absolutely ludicrous because there are very very few players who compare as well as Drouin and Galchenyuk. 3 overall picks, both natural centres who are apparently too defensively deficient so converted to wing etc etc etc.  The only difference is that Galchenyuk has played many more games & has roughly the same overall average as Drouin (ie, doing it over a larger sample size).  If anything, Galchenyuk should have gotten more but...

Really disappointed in how the whole Galchenyuk era has gone in Montreal. At least they got some savings on his last 3 RFA years but this was the perfect time to lock him up long term.

For whatever reason this team is more than happy to throw money and term at Shaw, Alzner, and Prust but nickel and dime with Galchenyuk and Subban. Weirdest part is he just gave big money and term to Drouin, I get Galchenyuk is no angel but Drouin didn't show up for AHL assignment and demanded a trade.  I don't know how MB was able to look past that and lock him up before playing a single game in Montreal, but won't commit to Galchenyuk.

What an awful signing. The money amount is great, sure. It's a bargain deal in theory. But the term is the worst possible length MB could have settled on. If he had given him a shorter deal, he's be an RFA after the end of it and the ball would still be in our court. If it was longer, he'd get more money per year but we'd have him locked up for good years. Now, AG will be a UFA at age 26. Imagine how many teams will want him, a former 30-goal scorer, at age 26 when 15+ teams came calling to try and trade for him...

So basically, MB has been willing to give Shaw 6 years, Alzner 5 years, Gallagher 6 years, Drouin 6 years, Prust 4 years, Moen 4 years, Desharnais 4 years... he's been willing to go longer-term with all those guys, and yet he plays hardball with the likes of Subban and Galchenyuk. Some might say that AG might simply not have been willing to go long-term. Maybe. But in that case, you need to ask yourself what you're doing wrong as an organization that you can't keep your young talent. And if it came down to it, MB always had the option of going to arbitration with him and settling on a 1-year deal, which would have been better for us. It buys you one more year of playing AG properly and convincing him to stay long-term.

So yes, the cap hit is good for the next 3 years, but I don't understand why we're bridging and then re-bridging our top-tier talent but giving long-term deals to scrubs and players who are lesser guys but simply come from other organizations. This is pure and simply bad asset management.

I get the impression that this contract is open to renegotiation based on results. Totally putting it on Chuck's shoulders to put up or shut up. On the other hand if he does not live up to standards he can be traded easier with a contract like this.

7 minutes ago, habby67 said:

I get the impression that this contract is open to renegotiation based on results. Totally putting it on Chuck's shoulders to put up or shut up. On the other hand if he does not live up to standards he can be traded easier with a contract like this.

Can't renegotiate a contract until the final year when he'd be 1 year from UFA. They could extend him then but he'd have all the leverage and there'd be zero discount. UFA 26 year olds like Galchenyuk don't come cheap.

Expect him to be traded before the contract is up . That;'s what happens when you are friends with PK and Nate

Galchenyuk’s new deal, which is worth US$14.7 million, comes with an annual salary-cap hit of $4.9 million. Galchenyuk completed a two-year deal worth a total of $5.6 million last season. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports reported that Galchenyuk’s new contract does not include a no-trade or no-move clause

58 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Expect him to be traded before the contract is up . That;'s what happens when you are friends with PK and Nate

Galchenyuk’s new deal, which is worth US$14.7 million, comes with an annual salary-cap hit of $4.9 million. Galchenyuk completed a two-year deal worth a total of $5.6 million last season. Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports reported that Galchenyuk’s new contract does not include a no-trade or no-move clause

The bolded part sealed his fate. 

Bought up 1 UFA year, think they bought 2 from Drouin. I'm sure, for all the talk of how long they should have locked him up, Galchenyuk and his agent aren't stupid. They were probably going to be difficult about a long term deal at depressed value, especially since we bridged him to arbitration rights. So he could have easily gone arb this summer, arb next and been a UFA. To be honest, I expected a 1 year deal so I'm reasonably happy they actually bought up a UFA year. It is what it is, Galchenyuk had no incentive to sign long term right now and since he actually had arb rights, we couldn't just let him sit and at home and think about it. He had the power.

6 hours ago, roy_133 said:

Bought up 1 UFA year, think they bought 2 from Drouin. I'm sure, for all the talk of how long they should have locked him up, Galchenyuk and his agent aren't stupid. They were probably going to be difficult about a long term deal at depressed value, especially since we bridged him to arbitration rights. So he could have easily gone arb this summer, arb next and been a UFA. To be honest, I expected a 1 year deal so I'm reasonably happy they actually bought up a UFA year. It is what it is, Galchenyuk had no incentive to sign long term right now and since he actually had arb rights, we couldn't just let him sit and at home and think about it. He had the power.

Right now, you'd have to figure relations between AG and MB are pretty much at an all-time low. I'd have preferred to go one year (either signing that way or via arbitration) now. Give the guy a chance to play center, make amends for how you've treated him, and if he's happier with the way things are going, then you offer him a long-term deal again next year. Most high picks who have played well for their teams are being offered long-term deals and are signing them. Teams aren't letting 26 year-old skilled players get to free agency. I find it odd that MB is willing to risk that. And as I said, if AG isn't willing to sign long-term here, then it indicates a problem with the organization. This team already can't develop NHL players via the draft, so you'd better be darn sure you can hang on to the few you do develop. MB seems to have failed at that aspect of things too.

I'm torn about this contract.    On the one hand, Galchenyuk didn't show much after his injury.   I a lot of us, including me, like to blame that on the coaching and that he was never given a chance.   The thing is though .. if he'd shown something, anything I'm sure Julien would have moved him up.     So 3 yrs @ just under 5/yr is ok.   

Having said that though, his ceiling could be higher than a 30g scorer ... and in that case 3yrs is too short a time

On the one hand it is easy tp get mad at the stupidity of this deal when you look on the same day at how the Oilers treated their #1 star ..... it's called a commitment to winning. On the other hand Bergevin has managed this team into non-contention for years to come as we have no prospects in the system and our Cap has been badly mis-allocated. So ... it's just more of the same ol' same ol' .......

Lol! I have to laugh when I come here! lots of half empty folks here every year! expecting the moon then complaining about everything all the time! this is not a fan forum it is a complaints forum. with the fairly good results this team has had it blows my mind to see the negativity of the armchair GM's, sure mistakes have been made all GM's make them all the time it is not an exact science but we have been competitive every year since MB got here other than the year Carey got hurt and that is just what Molson said he wanted when he hired MB so he has fulfilled the requirements that ownership want him too. do we have to like it? no but some of the comments are petty.

9 hours ago, roy_133 said:

Good point, I didn't think about this angle. I guess the contract itself isn't awful considering the circumstances but it feels like an unforced error not to have just locked him up 2 years ago when they signed Gallagher. 

the idea here is thats a short term, reasonable money contract without a NTC, which means its easy to trade. the plan is to trade him, MMW. he is NOt in team foxhole, they don't like this guy.

Id be absolutely shocked if he makes it through this contract. I could still see him getting traded this summer.  

11 hours ago, roy_133 said:

Yup this is my thinking.  I wish it was a longer deal but i cant see why Galchenyuk would have sign one (Unless we'd given him more $$)

I am hopeful things will turn around in the relationship & he'll happily sign an extension.  At the very least i hope this means he wont be traded although i know there's no guarantees without a NTC

I don't like this deal but I can't blame MB in this case. It's more Chucky's fault. He didn't do it. He had one good year offensively and seemed to get worse defensively. I imagine he wanted to be paid like he was better than he's shown on a long term deal. I'm think he was asking for Kuzetsov money... and frankly, I wouldn't have given him that either. Chucky likes it here, players who like to party like Montreal... if he can live his lifestyle and play to his potential, we'll pay him what we need to in two years

Sometimes we are too hard on MB... I don't see the vision and I don't like his philosophy on windows and rebuilding. But this one is not on him, it's on Chucky. Time for the kid to grow, I criticized the coaches for years on letting him play center and I was clearly wrong. And that is all mental, its a choice he has to make, we'd be happy (and lucky) to give him McDavid money if he does it

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Right now, you'd have to figure relations between AG and MB are pretty much at an all-time low. I'd have preferred to go one year (either signing that way or via arbitration) now. Give the guy a chance to play center, make amends for how you've treated him, and if he's happier with the way things are going, then you offer him a long-term deal again next year. Most high picks who have played well for their teams are being offered long-term deals and are signing them. Teams aren't letting 26 year-old skilled players get to free agency. I find it odd that MB is willing to risk that. And as I said, if AG isn't willing to sign long-term here, then it indicates a problem with the organization. This team already can't develop NHL players via the draft, so you'd better be darn sure you can hang on to the few you do develop. MB seems to have failed at that aspect of things too.

I don't think Galchenyuk not wanting to sign long term indicates a problem with the organization, it certainly may, but that's a leap I'm not willing to take right this moment. I think, if as fans we realize "hey, we should sign him long term now since his value will never be lower!" his high powered agent has already had that occur to him. There wasn't a lot of reason for him to sign long term right now, unlike Drouin he had arbitration rights and much less RFA time to be bought up. Maybe it's an organizational problem that caused him to not want to do long term, but it's just as likely he didn't want to sell a bunch of UFA years coming off an injury plagued year he knows he can improve on. It's a lot easier to lock players up in the Drouin stage of their career, right off the ELC when they don't have arb rights and you can sell them on the fact that you're buying up a ton of less valuable RFA years. We really only bought up 2 UFA years from Drouin. 

Going one year was an option, if you hypothesize things are at an all time low now, I'm not sure going through an arbitration hearing with the guy is any kind of solution though. I just think if we go 1 year, he can arb himself to being a UFA the next summer, if he wants, getting him to be willing to sell us a UFA year at under 5 million? It can't be THAT untenable. I agree it's probably not rosy but he could have been out the door in 2 years and he waived that right by a year and not for an insane amount of money. 

But either way, 1 year or 3, if he ends up being the player we all think he could be the end game will be the same, deciding between a deal thats something like 8 x 7 or letting him go. They pushed the decision back, is all. I sort of like it, in a way. I'd have preferred 8 x 5.5 or whatever, just don't think the option was there and we'll be faced with the same decision on any short term deal, whether it's 1 or 3 years. This is the risk of bridging guys. I'm not defending Bergevin, he's made some mistakes to get to this point, perhaps. I certainly have a lot of beefs with him, in general. Just think given the circumstance this was hard to avoid. I honest to God expected two 1 year deals and UFA. I'm happy we bought a UFA year and I'm happy with the cap hit.