Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2017-18


habs_93
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, rkgoalie said:

works for me, thats the price you have to pay to keep the best goalie 

Best goalie in the league... for now. He'll be 30 when this season starts, and this contract doesn't kick in until next year, so this takes him through the age of 40-41 essentially. The only near-comparable in terms of goalies is Lundqvist, who signed his deal at the age of 32 for a cap hit of 8.5M (Price will be 31 when his 10.5M cap begins). It's still a little early to tell, but Lundqvist's numbers dropped off significantly this past year. Roberto Luongo has been very good even of late, but he probably peaked in his late 20's/early 30's as well, and his cap hit is only half of what Carey's will be. Ryan Miller also probably peaked in his late 20s. Patrick Roy's numbers actually stayed very strong until the end of his career, but he started his career in a scorer's era and ended it playing for a powerhouse team in a deadpuck era where scoring was way down. Marty Brodeur's numbers were also the product of a great system, and his save percentages were never really that high, but there was some degree of a drop-off at about age 35 and he dealt with a lot of missed time from that age onwards too. So point being that yes, we're getting the best goalie in hockey now, but Price will probably only be elite for the next 3-5 years (2-4 years of that contract). After age 35, it's less likely he'll be stealing games for us. So now, not only are we fighting time and age, we're also fighting the salary cap.

The Habs have to find scoring somewhere. So how do you do that with one guy eating 10.5M? You can't go out and sign a Draisaitl or Tavares or Stamkos for 10M too. You need to find scoring for cheap and you need to more than anything be able to develop young scorers in your own system who will be playing on entry level deals but still able to pot 20-30 goals. Fine. Now look at the Habs pipeline. They have very few players who look capable of doing that. Their AHL coach has been abysmal at developing players. Their GM has been pretty bad at giving young players a shot because he expects 18-20 year-olds to be be fully mature all the time. The coaches we've had have for the most part refused to give young players and skilled, exciting players a shot. So the idea that we're going to find young, cheap scoring within doesn't gel with the philosophy this team has.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carey Price is my favourite NHL player, and I've really enjoyed watching him own the position of goaltender for the last few seasons. I'm not very enthusiastic about this contract, however. It's really hard to see how the team can win with its newfound cap situation, and a potential rebuild situation looks pretty murky too. How does Bergevin or his successor justify a point percentage low enough to be in the lottery with a ten and a half million dollar goalie? I think the likely answer is obvious: he doesn't, and all of the organization's moves are done with an eye to keep the team in the bubble zone. So, add a few more years to the rebuild timer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carey's signing will ensure the need for Markov and Plekanec to take a bow and quietly exit after this season. The books are going to be tight for the next year or two and having an off season may cause some to end up on the trading block. Our recent signings have added quality players and experience to our AHL squad. It is time for some younger players to make the move.  Looking at the roster players like Gallagher, Mitchell and one of Davidson or another fairly recent signing may need to be sacrificed to make room. It is nice to have Price secured but for some others they will now have to fight a little harder to keep their piece of the pie. This signing should make us better just by creating competition for the jobs left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Habberwacky said:

Looking at the roster players like Gallagher, Mitchell and one of Davidson or another fairly recent signing may need to be sacrificed to make room.

That isn't much of a choice, I reckon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Best goalie in the league... for now. He'll be 30 when this season starts, and this contract doesn't kick in until next year, so this takes him through the age of 40-41 essentially. The only near-comparable in terms of goalies is Lundqvist, who signed his deal at the age of 32 for a cap hit of 8.5M (Price will be 31 when his 10.5M cap begins). It's still a little early to tell, but Lundqvist's numbers dropped off significantly this past year. Roberto Luongo has been very good even of late, but he probably peaked in his late 20's/early 30's as well, and his cap hit is only half of what Carey's will be. Ryan Miller also probably peaked in his late 20s. Patrick Roy's numbers actually stayed very strong until the end of his career, but he started his career in a scorer's era and ended it playing for a powerhouse team in a deadpuck era where scoring was way down. Marty Brodeur's numbers were also the product of a great system, and his save percentages were never really that high, but there was some degree of a drop-off at about age 35 and he dealt with a lot of missed time from that age onwards too. So point being that yes, we're getting the best goalie in hockey now, but Price will probably only be elite for the next 3-5 years (2-4 years of that contract). After age 35, it's less likely he'll be stealing games for us. So now, not only are we fighting time and age, we're also fighting the salary cap.

The Habs have to find scoring somewhere. So how do you do that with one guy eating 10.5M? You can't go out and sign a Draisaitl or Tavares or Stamkos for 10M too. You need to find scoring for cheap and you need to more than anything be able to develop young scorers in your own system who will be playing on entry level deals but still able to pot 20-30 goals. Fine. Now look at the Habs pipeline. They have very few players who look capable of doing that. Their AHL coach has been abysmal at developing players. Their GM has been pretty bad at giving young players a shot because he expects 18-20 year-olds to be be fully mature all the time. The coaches we've had have for the most part refused to give young players and skilled, exciting players a shot. So the idea that we're going to find young, cheap scoring within doesn't gel with the philosophy this team has.

Given that last paragraph (which I agree with), I don't know why Carey would hitch his Stanley Cup hopes entirely to the habs, which he seems to have done. I thought he was smarter than that - unless I'm missing something. If he ends up requesting a trade (to a team with a better chance at the Cup), that cap hit could be a problem, no?

I used to call Scott Gomez: Gainey's albatross; hope I don't end up calling Price: MB's albatross.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you can read this comment I just copied the last couple of paragraphs

 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/carey-price-risky-blockbuster-contract-canadiens-211111013.html

The cynical view of this contract is that it doesn’t matter what Price looks like at, say, 36 years old. It doesn’t matter to Bergevin, who probably will be out of his job by then. It may not matter to the Canadiens as a whole – there’s a lockout coming, one that could offer up another round of amnesty buyouts for any number of players signing long-term deals in their early 30s (hello, T.J. Oshie). While Geoff Molson doesn’t want to throw around this kind of money to make a problem go away, it’s not like the Canadiens don’t have it.

So there’s a lot not to like here, or at the very least there’s enough to raise suspicions about the logic to this deal and how Montreal could eventually get out of it.

But at the end of the day, this is Carey Price, and this was his asking price, and the Montreal Canadiens will have him for the foreseeable future. One just hopes that the pursuit of stability between the pipes doesn’t lead to instability for the Canadiens under the cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

you can read this comment I just copied the last couple of paragraphs

 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/carey-price-risky-blockbuster-contract-canadiens-211111013.html

The cynical view of this contract is that it doesn’t matter what Price looks like at, say, 36 years old. It doesn’t matter to Bergevin, who probably will be out of his job by then. It may not matter to the Canadiens as a whole – there’s a lockout coming, one that could offer up another round of amnesty buyouts for any number of players signing long-term deals in their early 30s (hello, T.J. Oshie). While Geoff Molson doesn’t want to throw around this kind of money to make a problem go away, it’s not like the Canadiens don’t have it.

So there’s a lot not to like here, or at the very least there’s enough to raise suspicions about the logic to this deal and how Montreal could eventually get out of it.

But at the end of the day, this is Carey Price, and this was his asking price, and the Montreal Canadiens will have him for the foreseeable future. One just hopes that the pursuit of stability between the pipes doesn’t lead to instability for the Canadiens under the cap.

I guess that means he'll be traded next year. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like Price but he hasn't won when it counts yet which is the playoffs. He has had good numbers but he hasn't out played the other goalie yet or 'stole" a series for us yet. I don't mind the term as much as the cap hit. I would of rather seen something around 9. I'm not taking away from Carey but the goalie position is so close anymore. The Pens and Blackhawks both have won with good not great goalies but "teams" around them. I'm glad he's locked up but I don't like the amount. The McDavid contract is going to come around now and bite a lot of teams as a reference point. McDavid 1 good season has won nothing yet at the NHL level and they cripple their team by giving him a stupid contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carey Price is a goalie that often lets the first trickle in, but seems to be able to close the shop after that, .. not all games, mind you, but most.

not many goaltenders do this. has some great personal stats, our Price has become Priceless as the Price is steep.

 

yet no more expensive as a good goalscorer today, this seem to be the ripples from the Subban contract, now, everybody wants a bigger piece of the pie.

for this reason alone, I feel they should raise the cap by 3-5 mln.

 

what has this brought us until now?, .. solid defense, and a star goalie, .. now if we can get some scoring done, .. Radulov, Galchenyuk, .. I doubt we have room for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A precedent is set and players like Ghosteretti, and galchenyuk will want more? 30% of the salary is tied up in two players. This is not a way to build a contending team. Too bad it wasn't true that Price was traded for Crawford and Kane. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great to have Price signed and done and not become a distraction.  

This deal had to be done, it was going to be in the neighborhood of $9-$11 million for 6-8 years, and its better to have this asset done and known rather than have it walk as a UFA or force us to deal from a position of weakness during next season.

I believe teams with higher than average cap spend for elite goaltending still have a good chance at winning in the playoffs.

Yes we are still brutally weak at center.  But having Price done early helps us.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats Carey. Joint most expensive player in the league and usurped Henrik Lundqvist as the King in price tag! :5187:  Pragmatists agree lifetime financial security trumps winning the Cup. ;)

LOL at management :4224:! Unlike Toews and Kane, Price can't score goals to win games. Enjoy cap space hell for years to come.  Bergevin seems determined to burn the house to the ground and sabotage his successor. Next GM, as hard as he tries to rebuild, really has his work cut out. And we thought Shea Weber was hard to trade.

Good luck building a team around a goalie to contend in the current NHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carey's 10.5 will come in under Connor McDavid's 13.25 over 8 years and s deserved.Carey needs to get back to focusing on his game now and stay healthy. The term is about 3 years too long but that is Bergevin's style with some of his players. The next big one on the books is Pacioretty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The Habs have to find scoring somewhere. So how do you do that with one guy eating 10.5M? You can't go out and sign a Draisaitl or Tavares or Stamkos for 10M too. You need to find scoring for cheap and you need to more than anything be able to develop young scorers in your own system who will be playing on entry level deals but still able to pot 20-30 goals.

You have to tank and get a top draft choice perhaps? But how do you ask a goalie earning 10.5M to stop stopping?

MB, I think this is called "painting yourself into a corner".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Ewen said:

You have to tank and get a top draft choice perhaps? But how do you ask a goalie earning 10.5M to stop stopping?

MB, I think this is called "painting yourself into a corner".

Agreed :6280: and he continues to spill red paint willingly. How can Molson support this GM without even a whisper of doubt?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...