The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2017-18

habs_93

1 hour ago, Ewen said:

You have to tank and get a top draft choice perhaps? But how do you ask a goalie earning 10.5M to stop stopping?

MB, I think this is called "painting yourself into a corner".

Like I said yesterday, I think the real effect of the contract is that you don't tank with $10.5M goalie on your roster. An organization as old school and conservative as this will want to be "competitive".

1 hour ago, rkgoalie said:

i do not see his contract  as to long, maybe the last few years of his contract he becomes are backup goalie and mentors are , up and coming goalie,not a bad idea if you think about it 

With a $10 million cap hit it is a bad idea for him to become a back up/mentor for the last few years.

28 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

Like I said yesterday, I think the real effect of the contract is that you don't tank with $10.5M goalie on your roster. An organization as old school and conservative as this will want to be "competitive".

The organization will be happy just to make the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, habs_93 said:

So....it's always going to be an average team with different average parts...year in, year out? And it only makes it to average because Price is there?

1 hour ago, Ewen said:

So....it's always going to be an average team with different average parts...year in, year out? And it only makes it to average because Price is there?

I could easily see that, yeah. And that's not Carey's fault at all, mind you, but still.

1 hour ago, habs_93 said:

I could easily see that, yeah. And that's not Carey's fault at all, mind you, but still.

Sorry, I meant that if Carey's not there, we don't even make average.

4 minutes ago, Ewen said:

Sorry, I meant that if Carey's not there, we don't even make average.

I'm worried about what the organization will do trying to keep the team above ~.560 point percentage in the years Carey isn't a Vezina candidate.

10 hours ago, habs1952 said:

With a $10 million cap hit it is a bad idea for him to become a back up/mentor for the last few years.

It's bad for Lindgren, and young goalies in the pipeline too. They become stuck in the backup role.

Eventually Lindgren will leave to be the No.1 at another team. Then the organization wasted time and resources developing him, only to lose him.

Complete management ineptitude!

6 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

It's bad for Lindgren, and young goalies in the pipeline too. They become stuck in the backup role.

Eventually Lindgren will leave to be the No.1 at another team. Then the organization wasted time and resources developing him, only to lose him.

Tough position for MB in that regard. If he doesn't sign Carey, we lose him for nothing. If he trades him, you downgrade in goalie for a few years. If he signs him long-term, then we end up where we are now. I absolutely think LIndgren can be a #1 in this league. McNiven has been good in junior, but will that translate? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think MB had much choice in the matter with the Carey contract, I think it was either a long-term deal for the money he gave out or else it was a trade. The ideal for Montreal was a 5 year deal in the 9M range (it was always going to be more than what Lundqvist was getting). We definitely won nothing in the negotiation in terms of salary nor in term, but MB had very little leverage in the end. I think Carey will be elite for another 3-5 years (barring injury again). I think he'll continue to be good thereafter, just not worth his salary. The issue is more whether we can afford to fill out the line-up and whether the downgrade to Lindgren couldn't have been offset by upgrades in other areas.

When it comes to this specific contract I don't see what else could have happened. he is our star player he can win or lose a game himself it is the most important position on the team in a lot of ways and we have if not the best one of the top 3 in the game.so many comments on here are all over the map! I get that folks are frustrated but come on if we traded him we would never get what he is really worth to our team if we did not pay him a salary that is equal to his stature in the league he would walk and top tier guys get the term and terms they want when it comes to no trade clauses too that is just way it is. the real problem we have is that our GM has paid a lot of low tier players more than they are worth which hampers our ability to sign real talent when we have it in our hands and to top that off we have to get much better at keeping what we draft!

7 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

We've seen the Pens deal nicely with that issue. There's always opportunities to trade a #1 goalie if one of your kids  in the system is capable of stealing the job.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

When it comes to this specific contract I don't see what else could have happened. he is our star player he can win or lose a game himself it is the most important position on the team in a lot of ways and we have if not the best one of the top 3 in the game.so many comments on here are all over the map! I get that folks are frustrated but come on if we traded him we would never get what he is really worth to our team if we did not pay him a salary that is equal to his stature in the league he would walk and top tier guys get the term and terms they want when it comes to no trade clauses too that is just way it is. the real problem we have is that our GM has paid a lot of low tier players more than they are worth which hampers our ability to sign real talent when we have it in our hands and to top that off we have to get much better at keeping what we draft!

Gotta agree here.  I also agree with a lot of the other comments about how the deal will be bad at the end, we won't ever be able to lose enough to draft well, this contract will take up too much of our cap, etc., but in this particular case Carey held all of the cards.  What could Bergevin realistically have done?  If Carey wanted this contract then he was going to get this contract, whether now, or a year from now, or from a different team.  Our only real alternative would have been to trade him before next season, but unless it was for an absolutely crazy return (and even then) it'd be a pretty tough sell to your fanbase and to the rest of the players in a year where you're supposed to be competing for the cup.

No, as much as it's going to make life hard for us this is the deal that had to be done.  Bergevin's already dug himself into a corner with a lot of his other moves (and still no center or top D-man!), which makes this deal look that much worse, but realistically this is what Carey was going to cost.  This isn't a surprise to anyone, and we should have been planning around it from the beginning.

On 7/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, habs_93 said:

To me there is one - and its slim - 'best case scenario.'    That would be:

- we somehow, miraculously, beat the odds and win the cup in the next 2 years. 
- MB finds the guts (or, we find a replacement GM) to trade Price (and hopefully Weber) by 2019/2020.  
- we start building up the team properly.

But it all starts with winning the cup, soon.  If we dont do that, we will continue to hitch our wagon to Price & hope he pulls a JS Giguere, Tim Thomas or Richard Brodeur and somehow pull a team who has no place winning to the promised land.   And maybe he will.  There's no goalie in the NHL who i would bet on over Price, but thats asking for a pretty insane performance from him.  Hasek never did it (he didnt win a cup until his dominant days were over) and most of the greats had at least very good teams in front of them. 

MB absolutely had very little choice in signing Carey to Carey's terms. But in terms of what he could have done, he had several years and opportunities to identify how poor his coaching was under Therrien and how weak the offence was. Instead, when Carey went down with injury, he blamed the injury for all the teams' woes instead of actually addressing the team's poor system and lack of scoring. If he had taken care of those issues before, the team wouldn't have been so dependent on Carey, and it would have given him more leverage in negotiations. So I agree Carey held all the cards here, but Bergevin really dug his own grave with a lack of action over several years here.

• 2 months later...

Carey is either MVP-caliber this season or we're doomed. The D looks awful. And when we're pinning our hopes on Mete becoming a top pairing defender overnight, we're in serious trouble on the left-side of D. There will be rough stretches for Carey this season. He won't be able to drag this D-core along ALL season.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Carey is either MVP-caliber this season or we're doomed. The D looks awful. And when we're pinning our hopes on Mete becoming a top pairing defender overnight, we're in serious trouble on the left-side of D. There will be rough stretches for Carey this season. He won't be able to drag this D-core along ALL season.

But we havent really seen the D yet.  I mean last night you had (possibly) our top pair and then 4 guys who are probably all battling for the #7 d spot. 

I dont think we'll have a world - class D but i think we'll be a lot better than what we've seen in the preseason at any point. 

On 9/28/2017 at 11:27 AM, maas_art said:

But we havent really seen the D yet.  I mean last night you had (possibly) our top pair and then 4 guys who are probably all battling for the #7 d spot. 

I dont think we'll have a world - class D but i think we'll be a lot better than what we've seen in the preseason at any point. 

I agree we are not as bad as we have looked but for our GM to have said we are improved is a slap in the face!

6 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

I disagree. 

I think we will improve ......at losing.

Even with the world's best netminder.

Im still unsure to be honest.  

On paper we're not a well built team but I happen to be in the camp that believe Julien is one of the best coaches in the NHL. One has to think that Julien at least grudgingly approved some of MB's moves so I wonder how well he will be able to make this roster work.  It seems ill-suited to the current NHL but so did the Devils of the 90s at the time & yet they won, a lot.  So who knows.  

On 9/28/2017 at 9:39 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

Maybe we'll see another Patrick Roy episode.