The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2017-18

habs_93

Price is making 7 million this season and 15 million next season. I would expect nothing less then the performance he gave against Buffalo. Most years it takes about 10 games for teams to get things worked out. So even though the defense other then Weber (12 million he can play 25+ minutes) did not look very good. It was only game one. Not a fan of MB either , but we might just have a pretty good season. 

I'm still a little disappointed in the extension. Carey's the most important player on our team, so I get it, but... I just feel like $10.5 million against the cap is really going to hurt going forward. I also wonder how the fans will react when everyone realizes a goalie ($10.5 million or $1 million) isn't going to save your team from being terrible.

13 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm still a little disappointed in the extension. Carey's the most important player on our team, so I get it, but... I just feel like $10.5 million against the cap is really going to hurt going forward. I also wonder how the fans will react when everyone realizes a goalie ($10.5 million or $1 million) isn't going to save your team from being terrible.

Agreed!

And , frankly, he can only really be as good as the defense he has playing in front of him... which, IMO, hasn't been that great so far.

On 10/9/2017 at 11:48 AM, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Agreed!

And , frankly, he can only really be as good as the defense he has playing in front of him... which, IMO, hasn't been that great so far.

Sometimes I wonder...

Any GM could've extended him for the money and term he received. MB didn't accomplish anything special. A good GM may have actually extended him for shorter term, less money, or... dare I say... realized a goaltender at that cost is a hindrance and not a help.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Sometimes I wonder...

Any GM could've extended him for the money and term he received. MB didn't accomplish anything special. A good GM may have actually extended him for shorter term, less money, or... dare I say... realized a goaltender at that cost is a hindrance and not a help.

We saw that at the time Vancouver had Luongo if I am not wrong.

5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, we need him to be better. He's not the reason we're losing games but he's also not helping us win these days.

yeah hes a big part of the reason we are losing, when your goalie lets in 3-6 goals a night its hard to overcome that on a dayly basis

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CaptWelly said:

I love Carey and I know the team isn't scoring at this time. That said when the other goalie is stopping everything and your goalie is supposed to be the best in the world and in the same game he continues to let in soft goals, it has to be very disheartening.

We're getting into Scott Gomez territory, which is not to say Price has or will decline as fast as Gomez, but when you make as much money as Carey does, the expectation from fans is that you need to earn your contract. Expectations for Carey are going to be higher going forward, because if he's not performing like an all-world goalie, then losing that cap space to get mediocre play hurts our team disproportionately more than if Hudon or Lindgren or Morrow plays badly. That's life having a big contract.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I will reiterate that I believe Montoya should be given a run of games as a wake up call to Carey. Another weak performance last night. He's not even close to posting starter numbers right now and it's not entirely the D's fault. He's been very poor.

IMO, 2 goals were on Carey last night. 

Its very easy to jump on Price as the scapegoat here, and admittedly he is only playing average to good instead of his normal good to great.     But ... and huge but ... he's just the most visible issue with this team.     

Slow,  unimaginative defense corp.    Listless forwards.     The entire team is playing very bad, worse than I actually expected.     The moves MB has made have only served to change this teams chemistry and dynamics for the worse.     And the reliance on Price is even greater now than it was in the past few years so him playing average is just exposing how bad this team really is.

2 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Its very easy to jump on Price as the scapegoat here, and admittedly he is only playing average to good instead of his normal good to great.     But ... and huge but ... he's just the most visible issue with this team.     

Slow,  unimaginative defense corp.    Listless forwards.     The entire team is playing very bad, worse than I actually expected.     The moves MB has made have only served to change this teams chemistry and dynamics for the worse.     And the reliance on Price is even greater now than it was in the past few years so him playing average is just exposing how bad this team really is.

absolutely correct.

so we have to improve this team by bringing in some legit skill, which costs money we dont have because we gave a goalie 10.5 million a year. 

44 minutes ago, jwlk said:

we have like 8 mill in cap space

at the moment sure.  then patches contract is up and we give him 8 mill.  

look im being a little sarcastic obviously lol I mean its 10 mill, theres 60 more to play with or whatever it will be. but it is a significant % and thats not a good thing, ESPECIALLY if they do what i just said and give 8 to patches.