The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2017-18

habs_93

8 minutes ago, rkgoalie said:

any chance he is playing hurt ?

Probably not acutely but the unfortunate reality for goalies is once they start to get knee/hip injuries they don't ever really get "better". Playing goal puts a lot of unnatural movement/strain on your knees and hips, especially when you're as big as Price. 

20 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Listless forwards.     

I would not say listless forwards, certainly lack of scoring. We lead the entire league in shots on goal. 

Price has actually been brutal. When Condon played and we had the worst collapse ever. His save % was .903... Price is .887

He should have better numbers then that even if we used 5 forwards and no defenseman.  He was given an enormous contract. He needs to step up or Step out.

7 hours ago, jwlk said:

hope he turns it around, but how many games do we give him before we let someone else play, be honest we can't do any worse, id rather bring up a rookie goalie and let him play than watch price get destroyed on a nightly basis

I like Price and he over time has earned the time to redeem himself. That said I agree this isn't just 2-3 bad games. I would like to see Lindgren called up and play a couple of games. Maybe to appease Carey let him still play at home and Lindgren on the road. Or if the fans are getting to Carey let him play the road games to get his game back. We have been constantly outshooting the other team and when we've needed him to make the next save not just the big save he hasn't been there. He doesn't have to be MVP Price (though that is what they paid for) but he needs to be at least top 5 or even top 10.

10 hours ago, jeff33 said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/huge-controversy-surrounding-carey-price-after-the-habs-victory

did anyone catch this? did he really not go salute the audience??

gee we better not have a personality issue, you know what happens to those guys....

After being mocked I don't blame him for not saluting the drunks in the cheap seats. The same idiots who sing the 'Ole' song in the first period. 

8 hours ago, habs1952 said:

After being mocked I don't blame him for not saluting the drunks in the cheap seats. The same idiots who sing the 'Ole' song in the first period. 

He is a professional that's not in his first year. You know the same guy who said to just chill. So those same fans cheered him and he I'm sure he enjoyed that. A game we won and it was close until late so I imagine most of the fans were still there not just the drunks. The fans pay big money to cheer or boo their team, so as much as his feelings might of been hurt he needs to suck it up and be a professional. I understand he's probably frustrated with himself.

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

When Carey Price is somewhat lackadaisical this is what you get. IMO he needs to be more pumped-up, focused and looking more intense in the nets.

Could not agree more. His efforts to go behind the net on a shoot in. Will give you a good indication of how he will play that night. 

16 hours ago, habs1952 said:

hey there are standards on this team. thats an "individualistic move, and by our own stare decisis, we must now trade him for henrik lundqvist

honestly i was just your average  very good  pick up goalie  guy  for about 20 years ,  i do not know what's wrong with price , but something is wrong big time with him . to go from maybe the best in the world to letting  goals that a beer league goalie would stop

he  looks week and under  weight   has anyone else noticed this :4845:

Another putrid night from Carey. Save percentage 0.808. Like I've commented a few times, the team needs to go back to Montoya for a string of games to give Carey a wake-up call. $10+ million extension or not. I don't care. He's been bad. And his 'just keep trying my best' attitude reminds me of MT's 'part of the process' nonsense.

Carey's been really good for a long time, so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. And in that line, I absolutely do not think he will continue to be as bad as he has been. That being said, there are a number of factors that play against him here:

1. I'm going to come back to this, but he has a young child at home now. It changes your sleep patterns, it changes your focus, it changes your priorities.

2. He's had some serious injuries in his career, so it's entirely possible his body is catching up to him.

3. He did this last year as well, during the time when everyone wondered if he was playing poorly out of spite for Therrien, since his game turned around once MT was fired. But is there some sort of mental component where he doesn't do as well when there's turmoil surrounding the team and people pointing fingers at each other.

4. He has his contract locked up for the rest of his career now, so maybe there's less incentive to battle for the next deal. I'll give Carey the benefit of the doubt here too though and I think he's enough of a professional that this isn't a lack of conditioning or will.

5. Goaltending equipment. Carey has had struggles over the past two years, and I believe the NHL put in new rules about goalie equipment about two years ago... wondering if smaller equipment has affected Carey's game more than we realize. Might change the positioning you need, might change the weight of the equipment and the way it feels. Just some more speculation on my part obviously.

4 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I think his knee is giving him problems. look how awkward he came across on the first goal last night. 

anyway injured or not its time for a sit down.  your absolutely right JR id go with montoya for at least the next 3.

Only 1 thing wrong with that,,,,,, we have back-to-backs on Sat. and Sun. 

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

I think his knee is giving him problems. look how awkward he came across on the first goal last night. 

anyway injured or not its time for a sit down.  your absolutely right JR id go with montoya for at least the next 3.

I haven't noticed anything with his knee, but I have noticed he seems to be out of position quite a bit. Does anyone have anything to say about his lateral movement?

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I haven't noticed anything with his knee, but I have noticed he seems to be out of position quite a bit. Does anyone have anything to say about his lateral movement?

He definitely seems to be overplaying everything and not be able to get back to where he needs to be. He was always best when he didn't look like he was doing much really. His puck control is definitely off also. He has either not covered up or realized the puck is still loose a lot along with rebounds that he used to not give up or at least control better.  

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Carey's been really good for a long time, so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. And in that line, I absolutely do not think he will continue to be as bad as he has been. That being said, there are a number of factors that play against him here:

1. I'm going to come back to this, but he has a young child at home now. It changes your sleep patterns, it changes your focus, it changes your priorities.

2. He's had some serious injuries in his career, so it's entirely possible his body is catching up to him.

3. He did this last year as well, during the time when everyone wondered if he was playing poorly out of spite for Therrien, since his game turned around once MT was fired. But is there some sort of mental component where he doesn't do as well when there's turmoil surrounding the team and people pointing fingers at each other.

4. He has his contract locked up for the rest of his career now, so maybe there's less incentive to battle for the next deal. I'll give Carey the benefit of the doubt here too though and I think he's enough of a professional that this isn't a lack of conditioning or will.

5. Goaltending equipment. Carey has had struggles over the past two years, and I believe the NHL put in new rules about goalie equipment about two years ago... wondering if smaller equipment has affected Carey's game more than we realize. Might change the positioning you need, might change the weight of the equipment and the way it feels. Just some more speculation on my part obviously.

This.  Like you, I believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt he's been the team for the past 4 or 5 years.  

I dont think its an injury and i dont even think its equipment - although both are valid speculative theories.   It seems to me like its all between the ears.  Either he's sleep deprived or just has no confidence.  

How do we solve it though?  Do we go to Montoya?  Do we bring up Lindgren? or do we just let Price battle through it?   I sure hope Waite has some ideas because right now we're not digging ourselves out of this hole if Price plays like he has the last few weeks.