The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#6 Shea Weber 2017-18

habs_93

• 4 weeks later...

Good article here showing how Weber is playing alongside different partners this year

Excerpt:

"This brings us back to the original issue. Weber is being used to elevate his defensive partners instead of being used alongside a top-pairing defender who compliments his style of play.

This summer, Weber will still have eight years left on a contract that pays him over $7.8 million per season. Unless the Canadiens expect to somehow get great value from him by the 2025-26 season, they’d be wise to find someone to fill the glaring hole at left defence on the No. 1 pairing. It’s beyond overdue at this point.

The Canadiens are supposed to be contenders, especially during Year 6 of Bergevin’s five-year plan. If they’re not contenders — and that appears to be the case — they’d be better off trading Weber. He is regarded as one of the best defencemen in the NHL by many general managers, but he’s on the wrong side of 30 in a league that’s quickly transitioning toward youth over experience.

In the meantime, it would be wise to keep Weber away from Alzner, and start trusting Mete and Weber to take on more important assignments."

• 2 weeks later...

Weber did a great job getting those two goals for us last night, but he clearly didn't look right. His turns/pivots were pretty atrocious at times and he didn't look like he had the same mobility. Definite concern that he is playing hurt. We know the Habs announced he had a lower-body injury, and there have been rumors he has a torn meniscus or ligament in his knee and will probably need surgery in the off-season if not before. Not sure if those rumors are true, but if he's going to have that much difficulty the rest of the year, he may as well just go for the surgery now and recover quicker rather than have this drag into next year...

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Weber did a great job getting those two goals for us last night, but he clearly didn't look right. His turns/pivots were pretty atrocious at times and he didn't look like he had the same mobility. Definite concern that he is playing hurt. We know the Habs announced he had a lower-body injury, and there have been rumors he has a torn meniscus or ligament in his knee and will probably need surgery in the off-season if not before. Not sure if those rumors are true, but if he's going to have that much difficulty the rest of the year, he may as well just go for the surgery now and recover quicker rather than have this drag into next year...

Agreed he looked very off.   He took a therapy day yesterday too.   I am hopeful its something minor but you do have to worry.  Surely the team wouldnt let him play on something that was serious?

4 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Is it a coincidence that Habs have lost since Weber's return?

Yes. Probably would have won last night if it wasn't for Kozari. And they played a decent game against a top-tier team in St. Louis.

Weber looks off. But he's still a better player than the next guy up, and it's not even close.

8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes. Probably would have won last night if it wasn't for Kozari. And they played a decent game against a top-tier team in St. Louis.

Weber looks off. But he's still a better player than the next guy up, and it's not even close.

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Yes his two goals the other night really cost us? Even not at full health he is still a top defenseman.

What both of you say may be true, but I wonder if his presence has upset the semblance of balance among the other d-men as a result of different combinations and match-ups.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Here we go...

Weber injured

Was very clear he's struggled over the past few weeks and is having trouble pivoting. Kind of an important part of being a D man. I think it's for the best he gets this looked into and corrected, rather than constantly exacerbating it ever time he plays.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Was very clear he's struggled over the past few weeks and is having trouble pivoting. Kind of an important part of being a D man. I think it's for the best he gets this looked into and corrected, rather than constantly exacerbating it ever time he plays.

I wonder if it's something that might require surgery. Could be the thing that forces MB's hand (buyers or sellers) heading into January.

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I wonder if it's something that might require surgery. Could be the thing that forces MB's hand (buyers or sellers) heading into January.

There's only so many things involving the foot that can shut down a player... a really bad bruise? A broken bone? A dislocated toe? A damaged ligament or plantar fasciitis? My guesses would be 1) ligaments or 2) broken bone... but honestly no idea. Whatever it is seems to be restricting his movement.

I think the plan should be to be sellers, but it's unfortunate, because Weber's a guy you want to sell. Maybe moreso at the draft rather than in season, but you have to hope he's healthy enough to rebound and show he can put up big numbers the rest of the year to boost his value.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Totally. We talked about this his first game back. He looked totally 'off' and for any defenseman its bad, for a guy whose bread & butter is positioning (vs fleet of foot) its almost impossible for him to be able to play up to his level. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

God lets hope so.  On the negative side, its something he could probably use as an excuse to Molson to save his job for one more season. 

59 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think the plan should be to be sellers, but it's unfortunate, because Weber's a guy you want to sell. Maybe moreso at the draft rather than in season, but you have to hope he's healthy enough to rebound and show he can put up big numbers the rest of the year to boost his value.

I agree we should be sellers but I also think that Weber, with his contract, would be a guy you'd have to move in the off-season.  Im not sure he needs to come back this year for that to happen, i think his reputation is really what has his value so high to begin with. 

Time to bring up Juulsen, Scherbak, and Mccarron.  It's time to let the kids play and deal with growing pains.  Move Drouin to the wing allowing him to be centered by Galchenyuk.The season is probably lost. Time to prepare for next season by trading off Plekanec, Pacioretty, Weber (if someone is willing), and Shaw, 

34 minutes ago, ThinkOutsidethebox said:

Time to bring up Juulsen, Scherbak, and Mccarron.  It's time to let the kids play and deal with growing pains.  Move Drouin to the wing allowing him to be centered by Galchenyuk.The season is probably lost. Time to prepare for next season by trading off Plekanec, Pacioretty, Weber (if someone is willing), and Shaw, 

Good idea, too bad it makes sense, therefore it will never happen. 

Apparently he injured his foot blocking a shot in the first game of the year and has been playing hurt all year. Makes lot of sense, he's looked much slower skating this year. It's not reasonable that his skating would fall off that much in just his age 31 to 32 offseason so the injury sucks right now but it's somewhat reassuring that there's a good and non-aging reason he's been much slower this year.