Director of Pro Scouting

cut.jpg

Shane Churla
Director of Amateur Scouting

cut.jpg

Dr. David S. Mulder
Chief Surgeon

cut.jpg

The next couple of weeks will really seal my opinion on MB. I do not think he's the person to lead this organization. Truly, what has he done that has led to the continued success of the Canadiens? We haven't developed prospects under his watch. We've been competitive, but haven't taken the next step. We've wasted many, many years with MT as coach. We've signed bottom six scrub after bottom six scrub enabling MT to force younger players out of the lineup. We traded away our best homegrown defender. We're possibly on the verge of trading a very talented top-six forward for added depth at LD.

Watch MB sign some has-been bottom six forward as soon as free agency begins, limiting opportunities for McCarron, Hudon, De La Rose, etc. Watch him trade Galchenyuk for a crappy return. Probably a second pairing LD. If these things happen, Molson has to consider firing him when we subsequently get eliminated from the playoffs again.

Sure, he'll resign Carey Price, but any GM could get that done.

Quite an interesting article here.

It touches on what a few of us have suggested for a while: Bergevin is basically retooling the whole defense in his image.  Get in a whole bunch of "defensive defensmen" and shut out the opponents... only problem is that while that might have worked 20 years ago, its sort of out of touch with the game today...

Will be interesting to see what piece(s) he ads in the coming weeks.  I do like the part of the article where the author suggests MB may be slowly deciding against trading Chuck - and i sure hope thats true.  

Forever a fan, but near forever confused at the the works behind the franchise ..

trades, and topics like spoken here above, ..why buy anyone if they havent what you need, .. and if you don`t know if they`ll bring it?

Galchenyuk is what the dutch call a late blossom, has shown he can work with Radulov and others, (remember the kid-line?) on good days,

but there are days he does appear to play on a different team .. so I feel he shouldn't`t ask for more than he can offer ..

Gallagher too, great heart, but like most on Montreal, a little inconsistent in scoring of late, .. decent hearts, just a little too less scoring.

(I thought the deal was at least, 3 goal/game).

Price has shown, that he is hard needed, he will near always drop a goal, .. but lucky for us, that seems to be his "wake-up" call, and he makes good on closing it further.

not many goalies have this exceptional Quality.

I hope we still sign Radulov, though this seems debatable (especially since we are out buying again), but when you speak of heart, .. he has it all.

hope we sign Galchenyuk, still, for then, I believe we may have a chance, but I still feel he shouldn't (yet) ask for more than he has shown or proven.

lone defense, (I believe), does not win championships, I, too, feel Management seems to think the opposite, ..

scoring, .. backed up with some decent defense, in my view could maybe do a lot better.

still, it`s always hockey, and they will always be my habs, .. Good players, Good mindsets, .. but still a wish for a couple more goals.

He was so used to Chicago bringing depth players to complement an elite core.

Thought he could copy and paste the same formula in MTL. :4224:. But we have no Toews, Kane , Seabrook, Sharp calibre core.

When his copycat model failed after 5 years, he has no ideas or clues how to build. Keeps flip flopping.

4 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

He was so used to Chicago bringing depth players to complement an elite core.

Thought he could copy and paste the same formula in MTL. :4224:. But we have no Toews, Kane , Seabrook, Sharp calibre core.

When his copycat model failed after 5 years, he has no ideas or clues how to build. Keeps flip flopping.

He just continues to turn over the depth players on the team, but he has continually failed to address and upgrade at positions where it's needed. He flip-flops between approaches, he has depleted the prospect pool, and he's done it without making us into a legit contender now. This guy has missed our window completely and he doesn't even realize it. FIRE BERGEVIN NOW!

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

And he saw the Penguins win the Cup with a bunch of also rans on D , he thought he could copy that formula, so he did it next year

- He's tried to emulate Chicago's depth without the top-end talent

- He's tried to emulate LA's physicality without the top end talent

- He's tried to emulate Pittsburgh's model without the top end talent

MB is just so fixated on building up depth but he's done nothing, zilch, zippo to fix his team's actual problems. We are not winning or losing games based on whether we have Mitchell or McCarron or Holland or Flynn on the 4th line. We're losing because we can't score goals, because we have no top 6 centers, and because we have a lack of puck-moving defencemen, and until recently a lack of a quality coach/system. I like the deal we got in dealing Sergachev for Drouin but it had to be as a build-up to getting a #1 center elsewhere. We didn't need to give away Beaulieu for nothing. We had to have a back-up plan for losing Markov and/or Radulov, if it comes to that. There is no plan. That's what's become painstakingly clear in the past 2 years: Bergevin is just patching up holes but he's not building anything.

"If you want loyalty, buy a dog" - Marc Bergevin on whether he expected loyalty from Radulov after taking a chance on him last year

Reporter on Markov or Radulov : Which one do you see ? MB - There's an expression in English - first come first serve

Bergevin has a strict policy of not commenting on player negotiations. Except, I guess, when trying to pressure those players into signing

Bergevin has a strict policy of not commenting on player negotiations. Except, I guess, when trying to pressure those players into signing

What's worse for Bergevin is Radulov's comments after the signing, where he said MB gave him a lower offer (rumored to be 6M for 4 years) but that after Radulov agreed to sign in Dallas for 5 years at 6.25M, Bergevin came crawling back and agreed to match the Dallas offer, at which point Radulov said he wouldn't go back on his word, having agreed to sign in Dallas. What does that say about Bergevin? Just as MB has lied to us as fans countless times, now Radulov has basically accused him of lying in negotiations... at Bergevin's press conference yesterday, he stated it was take-it-or-leave it and that if Radulov wanted to come back, it would be on the Habs' terms only. Well now what? Now Radulov has just announced to the whole league that when MB threatens you in contract negotiations, it's just a hoax. Bergevin now has zero credibility in negotiating with players, and everyone in the league will know it. One more step out the door for MB in my opinion.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

What's worse for Bergevin is Radulov's comments after the signing, where he said MB gave him a lower offer (rumored to be 6M for 4 years) but that after Radulov agreed to sign in Dallas for 5 years at 6.25M, Bergevin came crawling back and agreed to match the Dallas offer, at which point Radulov said he wouldn't go back on his word, having agreed to sign in Dallas. What does that say about Bergevin? Just as MB has lied to us as fans countless times, now Radulov has basically accused him of lying in negotiations... at Bergevin's press conference yesterday, he stated it was take-it-or-leave it and that if Radulov wanted to come back, it would be on the Habs' terms only. Well now what? Now Radulov has just announced to the whole league that when MB threatens you in contract negotiations, it's just a hoax. Bergevin now has zero credibility in negotiating with players, and everyone in the league will know it. One more step out the door for MB in my opinion.

Things that are hard:

1. making good trades

2. drafting

3. contract negotiations

If only there was something else to this job to be good at! Then he'd be great. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Eric Engels says Habs gave Radulov same offer as the Stars a couple of days ago... question now is, who do you believe? And even if you believe Habs, does Radulov's statement still hurt Bergevin's reputation?

Radulov.

What scares me is that they may even wish to resign Bergevin .. seems his boss stays confident in no matter what he does.

he may even plead for long term now he has Drouin, .. and then, stay with us for a while ...

even i do not ask for much, .. just cups 25/26/ and 27.

Montreal should be Hockey, and they should at least be seeing that from the top.

we stick to our anything is possible craving that they will make Montreal good, but every year seems to become a wait and see season.

Unfortunately for Montreal, you take home WAY more making a $6.25 million salary in Dallas than you do in Montreal. Capfriendly has it at $3.8 million post-tax earnings vs. $2.9 million. That is significant. I don't blame Radulov for accepting that. And I'm not really sure we would want MB shelling out the extra to get Radulov to a similar post-tax earnings in Quebec.

44 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Unfortunately for Montreal, you take home WAY more making a $6.25 million salary in Dallas than you do in Montreal. Capfriendly has it at $3.8 million post-tax earnings vs. $2.9 million. That is significant. I don't blame Radulov for accepting that. And I'm not really sure we would want MB shelling out the extra to get Radulov to a similar post-tax earnings in Quebec.

But again, this is a league issue that needs to be fixed by the NHL. If you put a hard cap on teams but don't correct for taxes, then teams like Montreal are at a huge competitive disadvantage compared to the Stars, Preds, or Panthers, for example. In effect, with a cap at 75M, it's almost like the Habs are working with a cap of 65M because of the difference in take-home pay. I really hope Geoff Molson and owners from the rest of Canada and New York, etc. complain heavily about this in the new CBA.

On 7/3/2017 at 0:40 PM, BigTed3 said:

What's worse for Bergevin is Radulov's comments after the signing, where he said MB gave him a lower offer (rumored to be 6M for 4 years) but that after Radulov agreed to sign in Dallas for 5 years at 6.25M, Bergevin came crawling back and agreed to match the Dallas offer, at which point Radulov said he wouldn't go back on his word, having agreed to sign in Dallas. What does that say about Bergevin? 

Im not saying who is right or wrong but someone from the Montreal side said this was untrue - that they offered Rad this exact contract several days earlier & he then went to Dallas & asked them to match it.   Both sides have reason to lie so I dont know who's telling the truth but i do know this:  Radulov was a key part of this team last year.  Maybe Drouin is going to be better (and between the 2, id actually pick Drouin) but we also lost our #1 defensman prospect... and it just so happens that our #1 need is a puck moving LD defensman.

Bergevin let Radu walk, fine.  He replaced the hole left by Radu with Drouin, fine.  But he needs to fill the hole left by losing Sergachev.  Maybe you cant do that exactly (you arent getting a guy that young most likely) but at least bring in someone who can play next to Weber.  Alzner is not that guy.