The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Marc Bergevin and staff 2017-18

habs_93

Just now, CANADIENS27 said:

The problem with Subban was Therrien and Bergevin never liked him and Bergevin was looking for an excuse to dump Subban at the first opportunity.  

Pretty much. 

On 1/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, kinot-2 said:

My fear is that MB will make some "questionable" moves before the trade deadline, in order to save his job. 

I have this fear as well. I am remaining hopeful that he admits to himself that he has made his team worse (don't care if he admits it publicly) and hunkers down with his group to come up with a new plan, because whatever plan he had before is not working.  

On 1/4/2018 at 9:55 AM, maas_art said:

Bingo.  The thing about the pk deal was, it was such a horrible trade in a vaccuum but IF he had actually followed it up with something, maybe it would have made sense.  Lets say you traded PK to Nashville for Weber and Mike Fisher.   You get way older but you 'spread some talent' over a couple of positions.  Then you go out & acquire a guy like RNH or similar. Sure, it probably costs you high picks or prospects but you're in a position to challenge for the cup NOW.  Instead, we made a bad move that weakened us moving forward and did nothing else to help our chances of going deep in the playoffs.  Its like MB made a trade with a plan in mind & then forgot what that plan was.   I hate the PK trade either way but at least if we had gone "all in" you could make an arguement for it.  As it was, it is basically unexplainable except with conjecture like "they didnt like PK."

as a 1 for 1 deal I dont have an issue for it within a vacuum.   As a deal for OUR club? It was ridiculously dumb.   We have enough NHL-ready left wings for 2 teams.  We were severely weakened on LD.         So we trade our best LD (and best overall) prospect for another LW.   Madness.  

So, i dont actually have a problem with the 2 players involved, value wise.  Drouin is going to be very good for us, im sure of this, and Sergachev's numbers will come down to earth (they already have a bit)  but based on what we needed as a team?  It was madness.   Keep sergachev, resign markov and you've got a LD of  Markov-Sergachev- Mete-Schelmko  Thats a great group!  instead we have Alzner-Mete-Schlemko-Morrow.   Yikes. 

I can never really evaluate a trade in a vacuum when it involves players with completely different styles, let alone positions but I guess that I sort of agree that the Drouin trade in a vacuum seems like a good one for one trade...but when you are Montreal and you have absolutely no depth at LD and you trade away your best LD prospect, it better fetch you a king's ransom, Drouin is far from that, nor do I ever think he will become that in Montreal, but here's to hoping that he proves me wrong. 

Here is a scenario where I would acquire a guy like Drouin for Sergachev - If we have an already established 1C veteran that can take the heavy load of being a 1C in Montreal and help guide him along, or if you have plans to bring one in like a Ryan O'Reilly type...annnnnnd we have an established first pairing at the time of the trade. 

I am not as sure as you are about Drouin.  The kid has skill, he works hard and he seems to love playing for the Habs but I do not think he's going to be that 1C that we need, I still think that Galchenyuk was(is) that guy.  

On 1/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, eldag said:

Couldn't agree more my Alberta brother. Sergachev will be a top 4 (possibly top 2) D-man for many years with high end offensive skills. Drouin is already expensive, has been a bust so far, has not proven that he can be a top 6 forward, and in no way is a #1 C.

I try to stay away from speculation but it sure looks as though he's going to be a very reliable LD in the NHL, I know that Grant McCragg guy from recrutes was going on about his defensive play being very lacking but the kid is 19 and will  make massive mistakes defensively for a few years, luckily he has Jon Cooper as a coach that will allow him to take those risks for the sake of offence (and psychological development) so it will help him as opposed to medieval coach that will breathe nothing but defensive fires down your neck on the bench then staple your butt to it when you don't obey. 

On 1/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, eldag said:

Couldn't agree more my Alberta brother. Sergachev will be a top 4 (possibly top 2) D-man for many years with high end offensive skills. Drouin is already expensive, has been a bust so far, has not proven that he can be a top 6 forward, and in no way is a #1 C.

I just went through the If I were GM thread and read a lot of what you had written in the off season and into this season, despite me completely disagreeing with you wanting to trade Price, I do like where your head was at.  You were 100% right about your assessment of what the team would look like and that they would be hard to watch on most nights!  I say hire eldag as GM only if you keep Price. 

The Habs played their best game of the season Thursday night against Tampa Bay, but that shouldn’t save anyone’s job.

Sitting here in the harsh light of the day after, it’s just as clear as it was before Carey Price and his teammates pulled off that improbable win against the mighty Lightning. The time has come to fire Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and start fixing what he broke...

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-time-to-fire-montreal-canadiens-gm-marc-bergevin

9 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

I just went through the If I were GM thread and read a lot of what you had written in the off season and into this season, despite me completely disagreeing with you wanting to trade Price, I do like where your head was at.  You were 100% right about your assessment of what the team would look like and that they would be hard to watch on most nights!  I say hire eldag as GM only if you keep Price. 

haha .... you drive a hard bargain FFAB!!! I love Price but am more upset with the contract that Bergevin (the gift that keeps on giving) laid on him which makes no sense to me in the reality of the CAP world within which the teams have to operate. Surviving as the GM in Montreal would be tough on anyone and almost impossible if you are not fluent in the parlez vous ...... that said I have some ground beef in my freezer that would do a better job than Bergevin   :wacko: 

MB - People thought there would be Drouin chemistry with Max. There wasn’t. No one’s fault.............looks like YOUR people thought wrong

MB to get 95 points - I believe they can but not with the same pattern. We have now the Price we all know.........He's lost his mind

MB - The plan was not to get 8 million under but the players didn’t take the offers we gave them.............'cause YOu low balled them and didn't have a back up plan in place

MB - I am sending a message to our players that the season is not terminated...............the players are smarter than you

MB - I don’t from day one talk about trades in a public place............I am not trading PK

Exerpts from his presser:

On the bad start to the season:

The Habs are still within striking distance of of a playoff spot, but they need to find consistency in their game.  The lack of it has been the biggest problem.

On giving up on the season and being a seller at the trade deadline:

Bergevin is not throwing in the towel on this season and he is still evaluating his team.  He is not ready to sell off his veterans and still believes they can win with the players on the roster.

On the Max Pacioretty trade rumors:

He would not comment on the rumors, but also did not confirm that his captain is untouchable.

On his poor free agent record of late:

Bergevin admitted that some of the players he brought in have not lived up to expectations, with Karl Alzner being one of them.

On the Jonathan Drouin trade:

He shared his disappointment with the lack of chemistry between Drouin and Pacioretty. 

31 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Bergevin is not throwing in the towel on this season and he is still evaluating his team.  He is not ready to sell off his veterans and still believes they can win with the players on the roster.

1/2 the season gone, currently 28 th of 31 teams , he's still evaluating and thinks they can win with the current roster .

:4224:

Biggest thing was probably Bergevin saying he recognizes Drouin cannot be a center here long-term and that he's only there as a place-holder because there's no true top 6 center right now. Everything else was fluff, for the most part... he says he hasn't thrown in the towel, but what was he going to say about that? He wasn't going to tell everyone the season is over, stop buying tickets, we have no chance... but on the Drouin bit, he is now basically telling us they don't see AG as a center, they don't see JD as a center, and that they need to acquire a top 6 center or two. That's pretty telling. It means he also probably recognizes that he has AG, JD, MP, Lehkonen, Hudon, Gallagher, etc. as top 6 wingers and needs to move someone from his position of strength to fill the middle.

All the more reason why he shouldn't be GM anymore and his entire staff should be replaced . JD at C failed. Alzner signing failed . He screwed up the Markov / Radulov negotiations and then didn't have an adequate back up plan . Streit failed .

7 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

All the more reason why he shouldn't be GM anymore and his entire staff should be replaced . JD at C failed. Alzner signing failed . He screwed up the Markov / Radulov negotiations and then didn't have an adequate back up plan . Streit failed .

Absolutely. It's been big mistake after big mistake.

I enjoyed the part where he said something to the effect of he doesn't want to trade away young players / prospects , who are the future for immediate help , where it would hurt the team in the future .

The same thing he said last year and then in the summer trades Surgachev for Drouin