The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2017-18

habs_93

6 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I believe Julien deserves some more time before facing criticism over the team's results. Haven't we actually been decent in shot production and possession? (I'm actually not sure, but I feel like we have been better). Julien can't make the saves for Carey and he can't score the goals for the offensive forwards. I think we'll continue to struggle because our defense seems really poor. I guess the best we can hope for is to stay in the playoff picture and somehow use our $8+ cap space to acquire a really good defender before the playoffs begin... I know, I sound delusional.

I agree. Overall he's done some very good things.

- Finally giving Hudon a chance - and not only that, putting him in a position to succeed.
- Giving our best players PP time
- Not worrying what MB pays players - playing them based on where he thinks they deserve to play and not where they are paid to play
- Realizing Streit had no place on this squad
- Allowing players to make mistakes
- Allowing lines to gel and not throwing everything in the blender after a few shifts.

Obviously there's one huge negative right now and that is Galchenyuk.  Some ( Mike Johnson for example )  have suggested CJ may be sheltering AG because of confidence issues, others think MB has said he's trading him, so "dont get used to him" and of course the mob thinks its because CJ hates him.  I have no idea what the reason is but considering everything else CJ has done so far, Im willing to give him a little time to fix the AG issue. 

As horrible as our start to the season has been, Ive seen improvement in many ways and (aside from the washinton debacle) we've been arguably the better team in every game.  We are playing waaaay better than our record indicates and I think we'll be ok.  I have zero confidence in the playoffs with the way this roster is set up, but I think we'll start seeing the wins come soon enough. 

7 hours ago, eldag said:

I think Julien is a fairly good coach .... much superior to Therrien but so is just about every other coach in the league. There are also warning signs with CJ that were also evident in Boston and form part of the reasons he was let go. Some of the concerns are listed above. Almost every coach has a shelf life in an organization so I would not hold getting fired in Boston as a singular reason to diss him at this point .... we have much bigger concerns like having the worst GM in hockey who has just about crippled this franchise's ability to compete for the next 5 or so seasons .....and an owner who apparently doesn't care one way or another.

Agreed

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Poor guy! he must be wondering what is going on here! he came over to a first place team last year which had some holes for sure but i bet he did not expect his own GM  to torpedo what was left in the off season!

the all new top of the line def core MB bragged about, how could he not win every game with it

14 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

He can only use what MB gives him. 

yep. wonder how it went over in the meetings preseason? so CJ i am going to get rid of one side of the D corps fill it with plugs and a child sign a bunch of failures and greybeards and let go of two proven performers from russia. its going to be great! and to top it off i am going to reserve some money just so you dream about who i could have signed!

Never liked Julien the first time around, like him even less this time. How long should it take to figure out Drouin can not win a face off on the PP. Lets get Plekanec out for PP1 with Drouin and Max. He is  the most boring lackluster coach ever. Roy would most likely be worse but at least I would not be so bored. 

On 16-10-2017 at 8:06 PM, maas_art said:

I guess the best we can hope for is to stay in the playoff picture and somehow use our $8+ cap space to acquire a really good defender before the playoffs begin...

agreed to give CJ more time, but I would rather see us spending money on offense, someone who can score, someone well enough to put pressure on the opposing team, keep them in their own end.

we have the shots, and (at times) the style, but no finish. and the one or two goal games just won`t make the cut.

I know the defense is bad, because we already gave up 2 or 3 goals against in a few minutes in 3 or 4 games already, but I really think our problems lay in the lack of scoring

even a bad defense plays better within a strong offense.

.. and don`t worry, we`re all delusional here, we have to be, Molson does not seem Canadian, so all we have left are our hopes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to believe that no one is blaming the coach for any of this. Wrong players playing the game. Wrong players on the ice for PP and PK. Wrong players on the ice for OT. Wrong players on the ice period. Reminds me of a coach who used to like the idea of Saku Koivu killing penalties.  I guess at 5 million for 5 years, he will be hard to let go.

3 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Hard to believe that no one is blaming the coach for any of this. Wrong players playing the game. Wrong players on the ice for PP and PK. Wrong players on the ice for OT. Wrong players on the ice period. Reminds me of a coach who used to like the idea of Saku Koivu killing penalties.  I guess at 5 million for 5 years, he will be hard to let go.

He's been saddled with arguably the worst defence in the League, and that's on MB. I doubt he signed up for that garbage, but your right in that he's made his share of questionable moves.

49 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He's been saddled with arguably the worst defence in the League, and that's on MB. I doubt he signed up for that garbage, but your right in that he's made his share of questionable moves.

Yes.  And CJ's roster miscues have been miniscule compared to what we used to see from MT.   Julien has most definitely not been the problem.  You cant make chicken fingers out of chicken _____   (although Mcdonalds calls them mcnuggets) 

I believe Julien is an okay coach .... miles better than the last disaster but on the negative ... we are seeing on full display why he did not survive here the first time around and why he was fired in Boston. I believe he is a decent tactician but not so good at talent assessment and again ... he's there because he is French speaking ... period. Molson has a huge problem on his hands ..... CJ is in the first year of a five year lavish deal and so is Bergevin. This means that the two of them aren't going anywhere ... at least at the same time. But let us not take our eyes off the prize which is Bergevin ..... consistently rated within the industry as one of the worst General Managers in the NHL and seemingly bent on retaining that reputation by destroying what was left of this franchise's short to medium term future. The financial cost to the Molson empire will be enormous as not only are Bergevin and Julien locked in for 5 years .... we have an aging and injury prone goaltender about to embark on a bloated 8 year no trade contract in the face of disturbing indications that his skills may be diminishing. Now .... Jeff Molson did not earn the family money of course and perhaps other Molson family members are also to blame for the disastrous financial decisions that have been made. So .. a large part of the blame lands on them for approving the deals that Bergevin .... the crafty foxhole denizen ... pitched to them so successfully. The last building block for financial ruin has yet to fall into place ..... and that is when the fans "quit" on this franchise. It will happen at some point so all that remains to be seen is what is the gullibility factor when measuring this fan base? I think given its organizational history it will be fairly high ..... look at the Harold Ballard years with the Leafs who were also a proud and storied franchise reduced to rubble by an incompetent and meddling owner.

The solution is ugly and not yet acceptable to the beleaguered fans of this team however nothing will change until we see 2 - 3 thousand empty seats at each home game. And ... when I say empty ... I mean UNSOLD ... not no shows which are still paid seats. Will this happen in time for older fans like me to enjoy a turnaround? Frankly I doubt it but it is also all I have left to hold onto ...... 

Julien is way better than Therrien. The differences:

1. Julien has a system.

2. Julien has gotten worse goaltending on most nights than Therrien got, even the Condon/Scrivens season...

3. Julien's defence is a pile of trash, whereas Therrien benefited from Subban (despite not liking him) and Markov.

4. Personnel decisions have had some issues under both coaches. Don't get the decision to use Pacioretty and Shaw on the 1st PP wave. Don't get the decision to demote Mete. Don't get the usage of Deslauriers and DLR. Don't get the reluctance to play AG at center and the long punishment on the 4th line. But on the other hand, we are using younger, faster, more skilled players in general. There is no way under Therrien that Hudon and Mete and Scherbak would even have had a chance. There are still questions but fewer than there were under MT.

2 hours ago, eldag said:

I believe Julien is an okay coach .... miles better than the last disaster but on the negative ... we are seeing on full display why he did not survive here the first time around and why he was fired in Boston. I believe he is a decent tactician but not so good at talent assessment and again ... he's there because he is French speaking ... period. Molson has a huge problem on his hands ..... CJ is in the first year of a five year lavish deal and so is Bergevin. This means that the two of them aren't going anywhere ... at least at the same time. But let us not take our eyes off the prize which is Bergevin ..... consistently rated within the industry as one of the worst General Managers in the NHL and seemingly bent on retaining that reputation by destroying what was left of this franchise's short to medium term future. The financial cost to the Molson empire will be enormous as not only are Bergevin and Julien locked in for 5 years .... we have an aging and injury prone goaltender about to embark on a bloated 8 year no trade contract in the face of disturbing indications that his skills may be diminishing. Now .... Jeff Molson did not earn the family money of course and perhaps other Molson family members are also to blame for the disastrous financial decisions that have been made. So .. a large part of the blame lands on them for approving the deals that Bergevin .... the crafty foxhole denizen ... pitched to them so successfully. The last building block for financial ruin has yet to fall into place ..... and that is when the fans "quit" on this franchise. It will happen at some point so all that remains to be seen is what is the gullibility factor when measuring this fan base? I think given its organizational history it will be fairly high ..... look at the Harold Ballard years with the Leafs who were also a proud and storied franchise reduced to rubble by an incompetent and meddling owner.

The solution is ugly and not yet acceptable to the beleaguered fans of this team however nothing will change until we see 2 - 3 thousand empty seats at each home game. And ... when I say empty ... I mean UNSOLD ... not no shows which are still paid seats. Will this happen in time for older fans like me to enjoy a turnaround? Frankly I doubt it but it is also all I have left to hold onto ...... 

:2008122810303:

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Julien has a system.

2. Julien has gotten worse goaltending on most nights than Therrien got, even the Condon/Scrivens season...

3. Julien's defence is a pile of trash, whereas Therrien benefited from Subban (despite not liking him) and Markov.

4. Personnel decisions have had some issues under both coaches. Don't get the decision to use Pacioretty and Shaw on the 1st PP wave. Don't get the decision to demote Mete. Don't get the usage of Deslauriers and DLR. Don't get the reluctance to play AG at center and the long punishment on the 4th line. But on the other hand, we are using younger, faster, more skilled players in general. There is no way under Therrien that Hudon and Mete and Scherbak would even have had a chance. There are still questions but fewer than there were under MT.

100% Agreed.

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Julien has a system.

He's the man we have... but is he really the man we need? And what exactly is his system? Players seem lost without the puck even more than with the puck at times... maybe they (the players) don't get it yet

14 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Fact is they just don't play for him. no emotion no drive no offence no defence and as far as i can tell no system.

There is a system. The coach is handicapped with an immobile defence and the only option is to play the puck up the boards. Every team knows this and pinches off the boards all game long. Hard when your using a screwdriver where a hammer is required. Wrong tools in the toolbox and we all know who's to blame.

27 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Fact is they just don't play for him. no emotion no drive no offence no defence and as far as i can tell no system.

These players aren't that good .

The D is crap

And the forwards aren't that much better

34 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

There is a system. The coach is handicapped with an immobile defence and the only option is to play the puck up the boards. Every team knows this and pinches off the boards all game long. Hard when your using a screwdriver where a hammer is required. Wrong tools in the toolbox and we all know who's to blame.

I don't see a system at all.