Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2017-18


habs_93
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

That would tend to happen when you play your bottom line more than your top 6 players.

At least our bottom line is entertaining and not just out on the ice doing laps until the next line change. Let's be honest here, our 'best' players stink. Our best players are only 4th liners. The best 4th liners play on line 'A'.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

At least our bottom line is entertaining and not just out on the ice doing laps until the next line change. Let's be honest here, our 'best' players stink. Our best players are only 4th liners. The best 4th liners play on line 'A'.  

See, I disagree with that. I think you can say a 4th line player has done better at the 4th line job than a 1st line player has done at the 1st line job. But I don't for a second believe that Deslauriers has been better than Hudon or Gallagher or Galchenyuk or Lehkonen or Danault or Shaw... and there's certainly no reason to have Deslauriers play in the top 6 or play him more than the top 6 players consistently. He's trying hard but he lacks skill. Froese has simply been bad and IMO, shouldn't even be on the NHL roster. And Carr has been really really good, but I don't think he's a real 4th line player, I think he could legitimately play on the 2nd or 3rd line. Bottom line is that you're not going to bust a slump by relying on Froese or Deslauriers or DLR to get you to where you need to be. You're going to get there by finding a way to get Pacioretty and Drouin and Galchenyuk and Gallagher to the top of their game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A quote from Lamoriello when he was let go by gthe Devils makes perfect sense.

"I don't think we're at a point of being ready both mentally and (physically) to play the way that is necessary going into the playoffs," Lamoriello said outside an empty Devils locker room at the Continental Airlines Arena. "I am not saying that is going to change. But I think there has to be better focus going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/kelly-julien-s-style-of-offence-just-doesn-t-work-1.954974

good insights on CJ

therrien was an absolute cancer, but this guy has not made a fan of me at all in his 2nd stint.  too much remains of  2 things i hated about therrien, which was his horrible line combos and his clear playing of favourites and lack of a meritocracy. add that to his outdated philosophy which is detailed in this interview I posted.......I think this guy has worn out his honeymoon phase and its time to start calling him on not doing a good job here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/kelly-julien-s-style-of-offence-just-doesn-t-work-1.954974

good insights on CJ

therrien was an absolute cancer, but this guy has not made a fan of me at all in his 2nd stint.  too much remains of  2 things i hated about therrien, which was his horrible line combos and his clear playing of favourites and lack of a meritocracy. add that to his outdated philosophy which is detailed in this interview I posted.......I think this guy has worn out his honeymoon phase and its time to start calling him on not doing a good job here.

Im more or less the same thinking. 
I think Julien is a vastly superior coach to Therrien, but then, thats not necessarily saying much. 

Unlike Therrien, Julien has a system. He understands how to adapt on the fly and, for the most part, he is willing to give players a chance to redeem themselves.  That said, he (julien) needs the right players to make his system work. If he doesnt have them, he doesnt adapt.   I think if you had Julien as a coach on this team 3 years ago, we might have been a legitimate contender.  With this roster (fault: Marc Bergevin) Julien has too many players who dont fit into his style of coaching.  Point:  Karl Alzner.    Alzner has been a complete bomb this year.  But rather than trying to adapt the system slightly to Alzner's poor foot speed, CJ just keep sending him out there & watching as he gets beaten over and over.   Julien doesnt even really demote him (or bench him) or try putting him in less difficult situations, he just keeps putting him out there seemingly thinking "he'll get better." Which, after this many games, seems foolhardy.

As my design teacher once said "you cant make chicken fingers out of chicken ______"  but, even with this poor roster, Julien is making some very questionable decisions.  Now, maybe some of that is MB's influence. I dont know. If Julien is doing it because he doesnt want to upset "the boss" then thats his fault. If he is doing it because MB is saying "this is my team, you play Karl Alzner" or "You do NOT play AG at centre" then some of the heat should go off of CJ. 

Either way, it seems a shame that we finally have a good coach but we've built a roster totally unsuitable to his style.  Its like when we traded away Chelios (who could play any style) for Savard & then asked him to play Pat Burns' defensive style. Its like running a race horse in the la brea tar pits!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not crazy about the job he's doing but I don't see many coaches doing better with the defense MB saddled him with. He has his head scratching decisions but at least you don't see him crucifying his players in the press like MT did. If he hates a player,,,,   he's not obvious about it like MT was. This team has major issues and MB has done little to nothing to address them, while hoarding almost 10 mill in Cap space. How many GM's would still have a job in this league with that kind of management?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Julien is a fair to middling coach who is better than Therrien and probably middle of the pack when compared to his NHL peers. He is French which puts him at the top in the eyes of our ownership group. He should not be the subject of focus in terms of why this team sucks until Bergevin is FIRED ...

Bergevin is emblematic of everything that has been wrong with this franchise since it last hoisted the Cup in 1993. The modern era will never see dynasties that existed in the 50's through 80's again. Too much has changed in the world with the salary cap and proliferation of teams being prime culprits. Players can change teams too easily as well so the chances of a back to back winner are astronomical .... and a 5 time winner in a row non-existent. But no one here is asking that ..... not even close. Just one win would be a symbol of glory days long past ..... just ONE!

Unfortunately, we are farther away from even that elusive one than I can honestly remember and I have to grapple with the fact that after 25 years, I may never see les glorieux capture the prize again due to my age. When the team has other priorities than winning it just is not going to happen and ownership must accept most of the blame. I say most because the fans are also partly to blame just as Leaf Nation was culpable through the dreadful Harold Ballard years. If the audience continues to cheer and support mediocrity then that will become their self sustaining destiny ..... this is one of the most profitable and valuable franchises in the NHL and Molson is making a fortune off our misery .... why would he change anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really wonder who's behind Alzner... we know Bergevin saw him as a prime target in free agency, but was he acting alone or did Julien also love him? I recall Alzner's first interview after being signed when he said Bergevin told him he would be playing next to either Weber or Petry, and so I wonder, was that just a suggestion or was that a promise that Bergevin made? Did Alzner sign here in part because he was promised he would remain in the top 4? Obviously that's not something a player gets written in stone, but I wonder how much pressure there is from Bergevin to get Julien to keep Alzner in the top 4. Then again, we know a lot of coaches hate using rookies, and so Alzner, being seen as a "reliable veteran" gets the nod over the likes of Mete and Jerabek. The former case is intriguing though, because CJ was high on the Mete bandwagon to start the year and even had him on the top pairing, and then suddenly, Mete seemed to fall out of favor. I'm not sure what changed. No matter what, it's insanely frustrating as a fan to see the team go back to Alzner and Froese and Deslauriers and Schlemko and Benn but see Hudon and Galchenyuk benched and Mete sent away and Jerabek in and out of the line-up. I think we'd all just rather see us cut our losses and press-box Alzner for good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Frankly, I believe CJ doesn't even care now.  He's won his Stanley Cup and has nothing left to prove.

He was just smart enough to extract a hefty retirement package for a final stint, before he retires.  I don't think he even minds getting fired.   

Maybe he thought, like MB, that having Weber, Price, and Pacioretty was enough to do well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People keep hanging onto the premise that Claude Julien is a better coach than Therrien... I won't!!! I have seen enough of his work so far to think otherwise. He may not have as good a team as Therrien had, but even taking that into consideration I believe the results would be similar had the Habs remained unchanged. IMHO everything is wrong with management from Geoff Molson down to the assistant coaches. And that includes Claude Julien... rinse and repeat :5155:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

People keep hanging onto the premise that Claude Julien is a better coach than Therrien... I won't!!! I have seen enough of his work so far to think otherwise. He may not have as good a team as Therrien had, but even taking that into consideration I believe the results would be similar had the Habs remained unchanged. IMHO everything is wrong with management from Geoff Molson down to the assistant coaches. And that includes Claude Julien... rinse and repeat :5155:

I haven't been overly impressed by CJ myself but given a choice between him and MT he wins hands down. He doesn't crucify his players in the press and hasn't run a blender when putting his lines together tossing any 4th liner that fell out on the 1st line . Those are two things that drove us crazy about MT. I still lay the blame directly at MB's feet. This is his team. He destroyed a working Defence and turned it into a disaster rather then improved on what he had.. The guy is sitting on 10 mill in Cap space that he could have used to patch some glaring holes and chose to sit on his hands instead. If a guy doesn't have the tools then he can't be expected to build a house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I haven't been overly impressed by CJ myself but given a choice between him and MT he wins hands down. He doesn't crucify his players in the press and hasn't run a blender when putting his lines together tossing any 4th liner that fell out on the 1st line . Those are two things that drove us crazy about MT. I still lay the blame directly at MB's feet. This is his team. He destroyed a working Defence and turned it into a disaster rather then improved on what he had.. The guy is sitting on 10 mill in Cap space that he could have used to patch some glaring holes and chose to sit on his hands instead. If a guy doesn't have the tools then he can't be expected to build a house.

I definitely agree that MB is to blame the most for this debacle... however, Julien had an opportunity to overhaul his coaching staff but didn't...he didn't have to appease MB by treating Galchenyuk the way he has once he was labelled as never going to play center. I think he isn't being his own man and has bought into the MB mantra created with Therrien... my two cents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I definitely agree that MB is to blame the most for this debacle... however, Julien had an opportunity to overhaul his coaching staff but didn't...he didn't have to appease MB by treating Galchenyuk the way he has once he was labelled as never going to play center. I think he isn't being his own man and has bought into the MB mantra created with Therrien... my two cents.

I'm not going to disagree HHN. I will put it out there that maybe he wasn't given the choice of his own assistants. It might have been a condition of his hiring by MB that he retain the current staff. This GM has proven to be very frugal in some areas while opening the vault in others. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that MB has retained the right to have input on all of CJ's decisions after haven given MT free reign and watching that blow up in his face.

Cj was his own man in Boston but not fully convinced he has the same freedom here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'm not going to disagree HHN. I will put it out there that maybe he wasn't given the choice of his own assistants. It might have been a condition of his hiring by MB that he retain the current staff. This GM has proven to be very frugal in some areas while opening the vault in others. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that MB has retained the right to have input on all of CJ's decisions after haven given MT free reign and watching that blow up in his face.

Cj was his own man in Boston but not fully convinced he has the same freedom here.

That's still on him for buying in and not demanding free reign IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

$ 10 M in cap space sounds nice but I still think it was an accident how that came about  . He offered some to Markov and Radulov , they didn't accept his terms and  walked and then there was nothing left in the UFA market except 4 th liners

And Im not supporting MB but even with $ 10 m in cap space he cant just go out and buy a star player , another team has to want to trade the player, and when you have one you usually don't trade them unless of course you're MB and you trade a young star D man because your coach doesn't like him 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I'm not going to disagree HHN. I will put it out there that maybe he wasn't given the choice of his own assistants. It might have been a condition of his hiring by MB that he retain the current staff. This GM has proven to be very frugal in some areas while opening the vault in others. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that MB has retained the right to have input on all of CJ's decisions after haven given MT free reign and watching that blow up in his face.

Cj was his own man in Boston but not fully convinced he has the same freedom here.

Well said, and I suspect this is the truth regarding MB. We all know how damaging and tedious micromanaging is. The results speak for themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...