The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Claude Julien and staff 2017-18

habs_93

27 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

$ 10 M in cap space sounds nice but I still think it was an accident how that came about  . He offered some to Markov and Radulov , they didn't accept his terms and  walked and then there was nothing left in the UFA market except 4 th liners

And Im not supporting MB but even with $ 10 m in cap space he cant just go out and buy a star player , another team has to want to trade the player, and when you have one you usually don't trade them unless of course you're MB and you trade a young star D man because your coach doesn't like him 

Your right in one way but this was no accident. It was short sighted mismanagement. He had a whole season to negotiate with Marky and Radulov. It's obvious to me that he was gambling and loss badly. He had no backup plan in place and no vision going forward.  A lame duck GM in my books.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Your right in one way but this was no accident. It was short sighted mismanagement. He had a whole season to negotiate with Marky and Radulov. It's obvious to me that he was gambling and loss badly. He had no backup plan in place and no vision going forward.  A lame duck GM in my books.

That's a better way of putting it

5 hours ago, tony5775 said:

See Patrick Roy was at the Florida game. At this point any thing would be better.

There was a time when I thought Roy would be a good fit as Coach or maybe GM here ... but I think the Habs need to really shake it up.   Going to Roy just perpetuates the "old boys club" feel this team has and I think in many ways Roy hasn't adapted to the new NHL either.

New GM from outside, hopefully Molson can take it on the chin and simply hire the best available regardless of language.

9 hours ago, jwlk said:

anyone starting to think the coaching is the issue, i mean he's not getting much out of anyone, really wish we could drop the french 1st approach and get the coach we need

The issue? No. An issue? Yes. The roster is hideous, so I'm just not down with blaming it all on Julien. That said, he's done the same old conservative, backward, awful deployment we've come to expect from this organization. Maybe Bergevin is forcing his hand, but maybe not.

21 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

The issue? No. An issue? Yes. The roster is hideous, so I'm just not down with blaming it all on Julien. That said, he's done the same old conservative, backward, awful deployment we've come to expect from this organization. Maybe Bergevin is forcing his hand, but maybe not.

Agree.  Bolded is mine - and for that reason if i were Molson Id fire MB and ask the new GM to at least consider keeping CJ - but keep him on a short leash.

The roster is abysmal but surely Julien can see that we have better options than Alzner and Morrow.  Surely he can see that Galchenyuk in pure-offence/sheltered minutes would be more valuable to us than trying to turn him into a two-way forward etc etc.

I dont think Julien is even close to "the" problem but he's certainly a problem right now. 

10 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agree.  Bolded is mine - and for that reason if i were Molson Id fire MB and ask the new GM to at least consider keeping CJ - but keep him on a short leash.

The roster is abysmal but surely Julien can see that we have better options than Alzner and Morrow.  Surely he can see that Galchenyuk in pure-offence/sheltered minutes would be more valuable to us than trying to turn him into a two-way forward etc etc.

I dont think Julien is even close to "the" problem but he's certainly a problem right now. 

Agreed with the first part. CJ though never felt Seguin could be that guy because he didn't play the 200' game. So I don't know if that would change.

3 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Agreed with the first part. CJ though never felt Seguin could be that guy because he didn't play the 200' game. So I don't know if that would change.

IMHO the Seguin thing was blown way out of proportion.  Julien played Seguin a lot in his first couple of years, and he responded really well. It wasnt until season 3 - and specifically the playoffs - that Seguin was pushed down the lineup but it wasnt like Julien just suddenly didnt like him, his play fell off a cliff. He was (and this is directly from Seguin) partying all the time off the ice and he had no confidence on the ice.  Pushing a young player down the lineup doesnt help in that regard, but Julien was trying to win in the post season. After the trade Seguin said it was a "major wakeup call" and that he "probably wouldn't be playing in the league anymore because of partying."

Wrong coach for the wrong roster! he is too inflexible with his decisions too set in his ways! this team is poorly made up but there is talent here, a team with Price Webber Patches Drouin Chucky and some good supporting players ought to be able to play for at least .500. for sure that is not a lofty goal but the way the players are getting used is really odd! for the life of me i don't understand why Morrow gets played as much as he does i get the Alzner thing because they just paid big to get him but still! and Benn on the first pairing? i like him fine on the third pairing but thats about it. he has a system but he does not have the players to play his system and he won't adapt........ this is going to be a long bad spell.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Wrong coach for the wrong roster! he is too inflexible with his decisions too set in his ways! this team is poorly made up but there is talent here, a team with Price Webber Patches Drouin Chucky and some good supporting players ought to be able to play for at least .500. for sure that is not a lofty goal but the way the players are getting used is really odd! for the life of me i don't understand why Morrow gets played as much as he does i get the Alzner thing because they just paid big to get him but still! and Benn on the first pairing? i like him fine on the third pairing but thats about it. he has a system but he does not have the players to play his system and he won't adapt........ this is going to be a long bad spell.

It's been a bad spell for the last 24 years.

3 hours ago, habs1952 said:

It's been a bad spell for the last 24 years.

there were a few fun moments and for a bit there we were looking good! but we have gone from a young fast team with potential to a trainwreck in 2-3 years too many backwards moves and not enough of a push to fix our actual issues like a center and someone to replace Marky. even though he was old i really don't think MB understood just how good Marky was.

21 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Looked like he changed the system a bit last game. seemed a bit like a two man forecheck.

Looked to me as though he just dropped trying to impose a system altogether and let the players play on instinct... I've felt this was the case before at times even when MT was the coach