The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Suspensions and Officiating

HabsRuleForever

The Toronto Maple Leafs forward is facing discipline for cross-checking Bruins forward Jake DeBrusk in third period of Game 2 of the Eastern Conference First Round on Saturday.

The incident occurred with 5:57 remaining in the Maple Leafs' 4-1 loss. Kadri received a major penalty for cross-checking and a game misconduct.

The date and time of the hearing is to be determined. According to the NHL/NHLPA collective bargaining agreement, a player has the right to an in-person hearing if facing a disciplinary suspension of six or more games.

In his career, Kadri has been suspended for a total of 14 games, and fined a few times. 

Here's the Kadri hit on DeBrusk.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

The little puke deserves to have the book thrown at him. Takes his cheap shot and then goes into a fetal position rather then face the music. What a joke this guy is. Better get at least 10 games with his repeat history.

I know you hate the leafs HTL and Kadri does deserve what he gets in terms of suspension... however, I watched the whole game on my PVR and the Bruins were basically allowed to do the greater amount of dirty play left unpunished by the Zebras. The officials favored the Bruins IMHO. I wonder how much influence was because of Jacobs.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

The little puke deserves to have the book thrown at him. Takes his cheap shot and then goes into a fetal position rather then face the music. What a joke this guy is. Better get at least 10 games with his repeat history.

19 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I know you hate the leafs HTL and Kadri does deserve what he gets in terms of suspension... however, I watched the whole game on my PVR and the Bruins were basically allowed to do the greater amount of dirty play left unpunished by the Zebras. The officials favored the Bruins IMHO. I wonder how much influence was because of Jacobs.

Does Kadri deserve to be suspended? Absolutely. He went after a guy with intent to injure and hit him in the face. IMO, he should be gone for the rest of the playoffs.

That said, agreed with HHN about the Bruins... Debrusk deserves to be suspended too for a dirty knee on knee hit. That could have seriously injured Kadri, and to a certain degree I understand a player who doesn't get a call from a ref on a dangerous hit and then feels he has to take measures in his own hands. The officials were awful, and when officials don't do their job, you get martial law for enforcement. IMO, Debrusk should get 3 games, even though the NHL has already decided he'll get nothing.

And Pastrnak also deserves to get a game or two for his charge on Muzzin, when he left his feet and hit him from behind into the boards, cutting his face.

All of those were dirty plays. So yeah, Kadri deserves a long suspension, but the league continues to favor the Bruins and let them off without anything. If you want to be fair, Pastrnak and Debrusk both need to be suspended too.

15 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Does Kadri deserve to be suspended? Absolutely. He went after a guy with intent to injure and hit him in the face. IMO, he should be gone for the rest of the playoffs.

That said, agreed with HHN about the Bruins... Debrusk deserves to be suspended too for a dirty knee on knee hit. That could have seriously injured Kadri, and to a certain degree I understand a player who doesn't get a call from a ref on a dangerous hit and then feels he has to take measures in his own hands. The officials were awful, and when officials don't do their job, you get martial law for enforcement. IMO, Debrusk should get 3 games, even though the NHL has already decided he'll get nothing.

And Pastrnak also deserves to get a game or two for his charge on Muzzin, when he left his feet and hit him from behind into the boards, cutting his face.

All of those were dirty plays. So yeah, Kadri deserves a long suspension, but the league continues to favor the Bruins and let them off without anything. If you want to be fair, Pastrnak and Debrusk both need to be suspended too.

Here, here!!!!

It was most definitely a dirty game but i was only commenting on one specific player. Yes i do certainly despise the guy and his cowardly style of play. Suspended 4 times and he still doesn't get the message. The knee on knee from earlier, i saw as accidental. He was going for the shoulder on shoulder and missed, resulting in the knees colliding. I have to agree with the refs on that one, but there most certainly were other incidents worthy of review throughout the game. Refs were terrible as usual and that suits the style of dirty play the Bruins are capable of. The Jacobs effect lives on.

As i mentioned in the round 1 thread,,,, i hope these two teams beat the daylights out of each other and we see their farm teams finishing the round. Couldn't happen to two more deserving teams IMO.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

It was most definitely a dirty game but i was only commenting on one specific player. Yes i do certainly despise the guy and his cowardly style of play. Suspended 4 times and he still doesn't get the message. The knee on knee from earlier, i saw as accidental. He was going for the shoulder on shoulder and missed, resulting in the knees colliding. I have to agree with the refs on that one, but there most certainly were other incidents worthy of review throughout the game. Refs were terrible as usual and that suits the style of dirty play the Bruins are capable of. The Jacobs effect lives on.

As i mentioned in the round 1 thread,,,, i hope these two teams beat the daylights out of each other and we see their farm teams finishing the round. Couldn't happen to two more deserving teams IMO.

I couldn't really care if it was accidental or not in Debrusk's case... he goes to throw a check, he's way off his mark in lining it up, and he has his knee out. Whether he meant to do it or not is a factor to some degree, but it doesn't absolve him of responsibility. Most of the hits from behind aren't with intent to injure, but they're reckless, and this is the same. I still think he deserves 3 games. I agree with you on Kadri... dirtier play because of the intent and from a repeat offender. But as I said, I get Kadri being upset with the officials lack of action.

More obvious calls being ignored in the games tonight. This started with about 3 weeks to go in the season - refs just simply started turning a blind eye to very obvious penalties. There is no doubt in my mind there was a league-wide directive to officials to "let them play." Zero doubt. There's no way all officials just suddenly turned on (or off in this case) a switch at the same time with such a blatant change in how they called games. We were a bad PP team, so maybe this helped us, but in general, it's despicable that the league would effectively change the rulebook all of a sudden at such a crucial time of the year.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

More obvious calls being ignored in the games tonight. This started with about 3 weeks to go in the season - refs just simply started turning a blind eye to very obvious penalties. There is no doubt in my mind there was a league-wide directive to officials to "let them play." Zero doubt. There's no way all officials just suddenly turned on (or off in this case) a switch at the same time with such a blatant change in how they called games. We were a bad PP team, so maybe this helped us, but in general, it's despicable that the league would effectively change the rulebook all of a sudden at such a crucial time of the year.

This in essence is why I can't legitimize the run for the Stanley Cup anymore... It is no longer a true representation of a League Championship

8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I really wanted this team to make the playoffs. In the past, we've often been carried by strong goaltending and special teams, the latter not being a factor at all this year.

As for different officiating standards, I couldn't agree more even though it seems to be the same thing year after year. We all like the additional intensity of course but there's absolute no reason to basically have two set of rules in the game, one for the regular season and another one for the playoffs.

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

It always starts with the first non-call of the game no matter what that call might have been. The officials are there to police the game, and when they don't, the inmates go crazy.

Just now, habs1952 said:

It always starts with the first non-call of the game no matter what that call might have been. The officials are there to police the game, and when they don't, the inmates go crazy.

Absolutely the refs in that game didn't keep control of the game they let it get out of hand and that is how things like this happen. When players like Tavares are high sticked and worked over this will happen.

I think it's a bit premature for the sports media to be saying "Kadri is done as Leaf" because of this. :lol: It's comical. He's the same player he's always been. 40+ points, kind of cowardly, loses his temper and does stupid things a few times each season... He'll be back, he'll probably play again in this playoff series.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think it's a bit premature for the sports media to be saying "Kadri is done as Leaf" because of this. :lol: It's comical. He's the same player he's always been. 40+ points, kind of cowardly, loses his temper and does stupid things a few times each season... He'll be back, he'll probably play again in this playoff series.

The problem in he has been suspended 4 times for gits to the head and twice in the last 2 playoffs (if he is suspended for this incedent) so who would want to keep a guy that just doest learn

Kadri suspended for rest of first round for actions in Maple Leafs game.

So, if the series goes (the minimum) 5 games, he will be suspended for the next 3 games, but if the series goes 7, he will be suspended for 5  games.

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Kadri suspended for rest of first round for actions in Maple Leafs game.

So, if the series goes (the minimum) 5 games, he will be suspended for the next 3 games, but if the series goes 7, he will be suspended for 5  games.

This is just as stupid as a major league pitcher getting suspended 5 games and only missing one start. The suspension should have been 5 games regardless of the length of the series. This is just the NHL being as wishy-washy as ever.

5 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  San Jose center Joe Thornton will have a hearing for an illegal to the head of Las Vegas forward Tomas Nasek at 16:45 of the second period.  Thornton was assessed a two minute minor.  

He got 1 game because he's a star player.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

He got 1 game because he's a star player.

I saw the play live I viewed it a little different. In my opinion he was trying to avoid the hit but still caught him in the head cause the player was leaning to the left looking down. I felt it was not intended to be a hit to the head but still the onus is on the checking player so 1 game is deserved.

• 3 weeks later...

McAvoy got the expected one game suspension and I suppose it's the right amount based on his history, but it still sucks for Columbus that he wasn't given 5 and a game when it happened. That could have been a turning point and instead it just sucked the fight out of the Jackets.

50 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

McAvoy got the expected one game suspension and I suppose it's the right amount based on his history, but it still sucks for Columbus that he wasn't given 5 and a game when it happened. That could have been a turning point and instead it just sucked the fight out of the Jackets.

Brian Burke said he started this when he was in charge of DOPS and that the group still continues this policy, but they consider playoff games to be weighted depending on what round they're in... so he says a round 1 game would count for 2-3 regular season games and that by the Cup finals, they count each game as about 8 regular season games.

IMO, this is a complete BS take. Burke gave the example of Claude Lemieux breaking Kris Draper with a hit from behind in the WCF and then being suspended two games, which he said "to the DOPS was considered to be 15-20 games"... the problem with the stupidity of this rationale? Draper's face is broken for the remainder of his playoffs as well. He doesn't get to defer his injury and miss a regular season game or two the season after. If McAvoy had knocked out Anderson and Clb had won Game 6, Anderson could have theoretically missed a Game 7 and then some or all of an ECF and SCF.

The problem with the DOPS remains the same one the refs have... they don't want to penalize the players violating the rules because "it wouldn't be fair" to make that player miss more than one ECF game. Who the heck cares? McAvoy made a dirty hit. Sure, he could miss 2-3 ECF games, but he also made that hit in a series-clinching round 2 game, not a regular season game. And he could have taken out a player for the ECF, not a regular season game either. The same can be said of refs letting penalties go uncalled because "they've already called 2-3 on that team." So frustrating how the NHL pansies to dirty teams. Man up and suspend McAvoy for 3 games like he deserves and stop writing it off on the fact it's the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Brian Burke said he started this when he was in charge of DOPS and that the group still continues this policy, but they consider playoff games to be weighted depending on what round they're in... so he says a round 1 game would count for 2-3 regular season games and that by the Cup finals, they count each game as about 8 regular season games.

IMO, this is a complete BS take. Burke gave the example of Claude Lemieux breaking Kris Draper with a hit from behind in the WCF and then being suspended two games, which he said "to the DOPS was considered to be 15-20 games"... the problem with the stupidity of this rationale? Draper's face is broken for the remainder of his playoffs as well. He doesn't get to defer his injury and miss a regular season game or two the season after. If McAvoy had knocked out Anderson and Clb had won Game 6, Anderson could have theoretically missed a Game 7 and then some or all of an ECF and SCF.

The problem with the DOPS remains the same one the refs have... they don't want to penalize the players violating the rules because "it wouldn't be fair" to make that player miss more than one ECF game. Who the heck cares? McAvoy made a dirty hit. Sure, he could miss 2-3 ECF games, but he also made that hit in a series-clinching round 2 game, not a regular season game. And he could have taken out a player for the ECF, not a regular season game either. The same can be said of refs letting penalties go uncalled because "they've already called 2-3 on that team." So frustrating how the NHL pansies to dirty teams. Man up and suspend McAvoy for 3 games like he deserves and stop writing it off on the fact it's the playoffs.

I agree he should have gotten more for his hit. I also agree that he should have gotten a 5 minute major on the play but Brian Burke pointed out on HNIC last night that the rules do not allow for a 5 minute major for a hit to the head it's either 2 minutes or a match penalty. That needs to be fixed.

• H_T_L locked this topic