The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Suspensions and Officiating

HabsRuleForever

9 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

Wish a couple of those "jerks" played for us rather than some of the nice gentlemen we have that have given us so much success. 

Absolutely. Didn't say those players couldn't play. Some of them are also elite talents. But those guys in my view

- play the game dirty and take cheap shots when they can

- don't get called for penalties and suspensions as much as they should. We've seen Chara repeatedly excused for dangerous hits without suspension with excuses like "the stanchion is what caused the injury" or "it's not Chara's fault he hit a guy in the head, cause he's so tall"... by this logic, you could bring a steel pipe on the ice and use it to beat players down because it's the object doing the damage and players like Gerbe and Desharnais could clip opponents whenever they wanted because it's not their fault that's where small guys line up their hits. Ovechkin is another guy who is obviously a fantastic player but who has made his fair share of reckless hits from behind and up high and with leaving his feet, and he usually gets off without even a warning. We all know about Kreider running goalies (and not just Carey), and Matt Giordano is one of the dirtiest players in the league and rarely pays the price. The only ones on my list who get called for what they do are the lesser talents, like Kassian, Wilson, and so on. But it's clear the NHL lets off the better-skilled dirty players just to keep them on the ice.

6 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Would Chara have gotten at least 20 games if you had your way?  

Here's a cross-check that Nazem Kadri threw at Jake Debrusk in last year's playoffs...

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/04/15/nazem-kadri-suspended-remainder-of-the-first-round-for-vicious-cross-check/

He was given a suspension for the rest of the round (which could have been up to 5 playoff games).

So please tell me how this cross-check to the neck area was different than Chara's. Usually, the NHL uses a 2-3 to 1 ratio to determine playoff vs regular season game suspensions, so by that practice, you would say Chara deserved 10-15 regular season games for his suspension. Yet he got no games. Because the NHL always does what it can to minimize suspensions to Boston and especially Chara.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Here's a cross-check that Nazem Kadri threw at Jake Debrusk in last year's playoffs...

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/04/15/nazem-kadri-suspended-remainder-of-the-first-round-for-vicious-cross-check/

He was given a suspension for the rest of the round (which could have been up to 5 playoff games).

So please tell me how this cross-check to the neck area was different than Chara's. Usually, the NHL uses a 2-3 to 1 ratio to determine playoff vs regular season game suspensions, so by that practice, you would say Chara deserved 10-15 regular season games for his suspension. Yet he got no games. Because the NHL always does what it can to minimize suspensions to Boston and especially Chara.

Both cases were completely uncalled for.  

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Well,,,,, CJ vented after last nights mess. Another game decided by zebras. Looks like the directive from Bettman is to help us get as high a pick as possible to fill that building on draft day in Montreal.:rolleyes:

Doncha know that the lottery might be fixed as well? Just a thought. 

31 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

CJ has been fined $10,000 for his comments regarding the refs in Sat. night's game.

Slash to the throat costs you 5k, complaining about the refs twice the amount. The definition of reasonable in the NHL.

15 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So true.:rolleyes:

Do the refs get fined for their potty mouth??? I think not.

Yeah, good question. I guess being caught on camera dropping f-bombs in a player's face when you're supposed to be impartial is considered acceptable behavior.

24 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I wonder where Bergevin and Molson are in all of this. Sipping lattes? 

I mean, it wasn't Marc or Geoff that got fined $10,000. :D I'm sure Julien will be alright. And if we think Bergevin or Molson will say anything publicly to upset the league status quo... Well, that might be wishful thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • H_T_L locked this topic