The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2017 - 2018 Habs Magic Number & Lottery Race

Manatee-X

That's a little better. A win is a win but it's tough to get excited about victory over the only team below us in the Net Loss standings.

Now if we could string a few more of those together, we might be in a tunnel instead of at the bottom of a hole. Columbus on Monday, never easy, but division games after that against losers-of-4-straight Ottawa and recipients-of-back-to-back-mercy-points Detroit will be huge in any attempts to right the ship.

We're only 4 points out of 3rd in the Atlantic but going by the NL board, we're 3 and 1/2 games out with 7 teams to climb over. Not easy, not impossible.

MN is 124.
MN No-Go is 111.

MN 201718.jpg

Tough to move up when the teams ahead of you keep winning. Need to keep this streak going.

Falling is easier than climbing.

MN is 113.
No-Go is 108.

November summary included. Caution: December ahead. :unsure:

MN 201718.jpg

MN stats 201718.jpg

We've still got ground to make up, no doubt, but it sure feels better to be moving in the right direction.  Carolina and Ottawa also have to make up a bunch of games on us, so hopefully they can lose a few of those and we can climb another rung or two.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:06 AM, Manatee-X said:

I know we're still just three from the bottom, but this feels like the highest we've been in a while!

October 7th was the last post we were any higher. :ph34r:
4.5 from the bottom now, 3 from the bar.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:49 AM, Manatee-X said:

We've still got ground to make up, no doubt, but it sure feels better to be moving in the right direction.  Carolina and Ottawa also have to make up a bunch of games on us, so hopefully they can lose a few of those and we can climb another rung or two.

I think our best hope is to slide into 3rd in the Atlantic, figure the Metropolitan Division is going to send the max five teams. That means, according to the NL board, we need to jump Boston. Not entirely out of the question but we need to get back onto another win streak.

Can't say I'm surprised we lost to the Blues, strong team and hungry after a 3-game skid of their own. Still, after battling back from down 2, at least a point would have been a small victory.

Calgary and Edmonton next, 2 teams on the outside of their own playoff hunt. Would be nice to get back to full health to maximize our chances.

MN is 113.
No-Go is 103.

MN 201718.jpg

That was another frustrating one.

I was prepared to go into "rant mode" again - against the inconsistent goalie interference calls, about the frustration of seeing a replay showing a penalty was a wrong call before the player was able to skate into the box (but the league will take 11 minutes to assess an off-side call), that another expansion team looms in a league already watered down in talent and with teams already in failing markets - but that would have required an investment of time and effort. Not sure I have that in me.

The league doesn't care. Molson doesn't care. Sometimes I don't think the players really care. It's all about the money. Any talk about "growing the game" or "getting calls right" or "player safety" is just the work of puppeteers to entertain the children.

I almost can't wait for the lockout in a few years because then the temptation to watch a tainted product will be removed.

MN is 112.
No-go is 100.

MN 201718.jpg