Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nicolas Deslauriers


HabsRuleForever
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

According to Andrew Zadarnowski, he leads the Rocket in elbowing, boarding, and roughing calls but has zero fights. So he sounds like he's just a dirty player with no offensive touch.

But the grit is there, right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, right? :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

According to Andrew Zadarnowski, he leads the Rocket in elbowing, boarding, and roughing calls but has zero fights. So he sounds like he's just a dirty player with no offensive touch.

Pretty much how I remember him in Buffalo. Even a guy like steve ott - who was obviously well past his prime by the time we got him - had decent defensive ability because of his previous offensive vision.  I see no value to a guy like Deslauriers in our lineup & dont know how they think his presence will do anything but make our only weak forward line weaker. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Pretty much how I remember him in Buffalo. Even a guy like steve ott - who was obviously well past his prime by the time we got him - had decent defensive ability because of his previous offensive vision.  I see no value to a guy like Deslauriers in our lineup & dont know how they think his presence will do anything but make our only weak forward line weaker. 

 

 

Julien said today he liked Deslauriers because in Buffalo, he hit everything that moved, but that's not all he can do. But there was no mention about what else he can do, because he doesn't seem to be a particularly solid offensive or defensive player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Julien said today he liked Deslauriers because in Buffalo, he hit everything that moved, but that's not all he can do. But there was no mention about what else he can do, because he doesn't seem to be a particularly solid offensive or defensive player.

Not saying Deslauriers is the guy but we need some of that. We don't hit and that makes us easy and fun to play against. It shouldn't be easy or fun to play against us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Julien said today he liked Deslauriers because in Buffalo, he hit everything that moved, but that's not all he can do. But there was no mention about what else he can do, because he doesn't seem to be a particularly solid offensive or defensive player.

Douglas Murray hit everything that moved too ... it still didn't make him a player that should have been in the NHL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might just be an attempt to leave some play makers in Laval while giving Deslauriers a chance to play against one of the bigger teams to see how he matches up. I would have preferred to see Carr, but he would not get the same top line minutes he will get in Laval. We have dome a pretty good job of rotating through some players to give them a look each year. I think Deslauriers can find some scoring touch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Wow... what an impact... :4224:

Claude Julien said his (unnecesary) fight was the negative turning point in the game, so he DID have an impact, just not a good one. Predictably.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Hope the bus ticket was waiting for him at his dressing room stall. 

It should have been Daniel Carr in the first place. What a waste of a call-up and another mistake by the organization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Claude Julien said his (unnecesary) fight was the negative turning point in the game, so he DID have an impact, just not a good one. Predictably.

 

Deslaurier's fight had zero impact on the game but I guess he's an easy target to blame for 3 blown leads. He wasn't even on the ice for any goals against. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Deslaurier's fight had zero impact on the game but I guess he's an easy target to blame for 3 blown leads. He wasn't even on the ice for any goals against. 

It's so hard to judge. Julien said he felt like his team was more tentative after the fight. Who knows. What we do know is that the fight didn't help us. These staged fights are never a good idea, especially when your team is leading. You don't want to do anything that potentially gets the other team riled up, and so while Deslauriers himself might not have cost us goals, his decision to fight was in itself stupid and pointless. Maybe it did nothing, maybe it hurt us, but it certainly had no purpose and no potential positive impact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

It's so hard to judge. Julien said he felt like his team was more tentative after the fight. Who knows. What we do know is that the fight didn't help us. These staged fights are never a good idea, especially when your team is leading. You don't want to do anything that potentially gets the other team riled up, and so while Deslauriers himself might not have cost us goals, his decision to fight was in itself stupid and pointless. Maybe it did nothing, maybe it hurt us, but it certainly had no purpose and no potential positive impact.

The problem is, its Deslauriers' skill-set. This is not a knock on him, he is what he is.  He's desperate to stay with the big club but its not like he's going to do so by playing great shutdown hockey or scoring goals.  The only way he makes an impact & gets noticed is by being physical.   Im not sure what MB was expecting when he called him up to be honest.  This was totally predictable... and really not what we need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The problem is, its Deslauriers' skill-set. This is not a knock on him, he is what he is.  He's desperate to stay with the big club but its not like he's going to do so by playing great shutdown hockey or scoring goals.  The only way he makes an impact & gets noticed is by being physical.   Im not sure what MB was expecting when he called him up to be honest.  This was totally predictable... and really not what we need.

100%. This is on MB and CJ inserting a player with very little actual utility to us into the line-up then watching him do exactly what we all predicted he would do. Deslauriers did nothing to help our team, and I can't think of anything he would do in the future to make that any better. This wasn't an off-night for ND, this was just what he does. You also look at a player like DLR, who has been up and down between the NHL and AHL for years and who still hasn't shown any development to his game. He has no offensive flair, his decision-making is too slow, and he doesn't skate or hit any better than average. I'm just not sure what the team thinks they're going to get from their current 4th line. I'd much rather see a guy like Carr in there, who goes to the net, pits a few goals, and plays with some edge, in addition to being a much smarter player than Deslauriers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd much rather see a guy like Carr in there, who goes to the net, pits a few goals, and plays with some edge, in addition to being a much smarter player than Deslauriers.

Yes.  

Right now we could have a 4th line of Andrighetto - McCarron - Carr     Does anyone actually think that would not be night and day better than  DLR-Froese-Deslauriers?   MB I guess... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yes.  

Right now we could have a 4th line of Andrighetto - McCarron - Carr     Does anyone actually think that would not be night and day better than  DLR-Froese-Deslauriers?   MB I guess... 

I'm not sure McCarron is ready for the NHL, but fully agreed on Andrighetto and Carr being many times more valuable than our current 4th line. Just look at last year, when we started the season with a 4th line of Danault-Mitchell-Byron. They tore up the league because they were faster and more talented than the goons some other teams ran out. We've had 4th lines featuring players like Ott, King, Martinsen, Mike Brown, Laraque, Parros, and now Deslauriers and I can't think of a single time where I said to myself it was working out well. FWIW, I feel like the type of player Deslauriers is doesn't have much of a role in today's NHL. You can't instigate fights, there's a crackdown in interference (which means you have to be fast enough to not be caught out of position), and the players are so much faster now than they were 10, 20, or 20 years ago that you absolutely have to have the footspeed to keep up. DLR is in my view a bust at this point. Even if he plays defence well, he's not outstanding in the circle and most importantly, he doesn't have the offensive skill to play at NHL speed. So let's move on from ND and DLR and put guys in who can play... when Scherbak's healthy, maybe he's one. Carr is definitely another perfect 4th liner. And if we're fully healthy, one of Hudon, Byron, or Shaw likely rounds out the 4th line, with no need for the guys we currently have there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm not sure McCarron is ready for the NHL, but fully agreed on Andrighetto and Carr being many times more valuable than our current 4th line. 

Yeah, i agree about BigMac, I just couldnt think of a centre in our system who would be great on the 4th line.  Although you could probably acquire one fairly easily with a 2nd or 3rd round pick if we really dont have any options.

I do think Scherbak will be back when he's healthy. Im surprised Carr hasnt been called up.  He's of the same ilk as Gallagher and Shaw so you think he'd be welcomed on a team in need of dirty goals. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As an add-on, Mike Bossy today saying the only person Nick Deslauriers dropped the gloves for was Nick Deslauriers. It was a fight to try and show that he could fight, but it served no purpose for the team. Bossy says there's no place for ego like that in the dressing room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

It's so hard to judge. Julien said he felt like his team was more tentative after the fight. Who knows. What we do know is that the fight didn't help us. These staged fights are never a good idea, especially when your team is leading. You don't want to do anything that potentially gets the other team riled up, and so while Deslauriers himself might not have cost us goals, his decision to fight was in itself stupid and pointless. Maybe it did nothing, maybe it hurt us, but it certainly had no purpose and no potential positive impact.

 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The problem is, its Deslauriers' skill-set. This is not a knock on him, he is what he is.  He's desperate to stay with the big club but its not like he's going to do so by playing great shutdown hockey or scoring goals.  The only way he makes an impact & gets noticed is by being physical.   Im not sure what MB was expecting when he called him up to be honest.  This was totally predictable... and really not what we need.

 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

100%. This is on MB and CJ inserting a player with very little actual utility to us into the line-up then watching him do exactly what we all predicted he would do. Deslauriers did nothing to help our team, and I can't think of anything he would do in the future to make that any better. This wasn't an off-night for ND, this was just what he does. You also look at a player like DLR, who has been up and down between the NHL and AHL for years and who still hasn't shown any development to his game. He has no offensive flair, his decision-making is too slow, and he doesn't skate or hit any better than average. I'm just not sure what the team thinks they're going to get from their current 4th line. I'd much rather see a guy like Carr in there, who goes to the net, pits a few goals, and plays with some edge, in addition to being a much smarter player than Deslauriers.

The fight was one goon against another goon so I don't see the fight having any effect either way, negatively or positively. MB probably recalled him to counteract Rinaldo so the fight just took two crappy players out of the game. I do agree the Habs would have been better by a country mile if they had called up Carr. I don't think MB is the sharpest knife in the drawer. He's running this team into the ground. MB had no business trading Redmond for Deslaurier in the first place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...