Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Max Traded to Vegas


HabsRuleForever
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

Terrible Trade?   This is a good trade in my opinion. The best he's made so far (and yes it wouldn't take to much) Now we have two really good prospects for (FUTURE CENTER).  This trade is not about this season. The habs are going no where this year. So get some prospects and hope for a very good draft pick again next year. This is going in the right direction But with MB the possibility is always there to screw that up as well.

I think it's a decent trade, as well. Suzuki is a good acquisition. He's just someone that won't make an impact in Montreal for a few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gotta admit, I was hoping for more coming back. 

 

Tatar hit a career-high 29 goals with Detroit in 2014-25 and and had 25 goals in 2016-17. Last season, he had 20 goals with Detroit and  Vegas. At 27, he’s two years younger than Pacioretty. He has three years remaining on a contract with a cap hit of $5.3 million.

Suzuki was a first-round draft choice in 2017 (13th overall) and he is listed as a centre although he has played all three forward positions, which makes him a perfect addition to a team that seems determined to fit square pegs into round holes.

 

Suzuki highlites:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fanatikal said:

The comments I see here show me that none of you buy tickets to games. WHO? and I mean WHO is going to pay some of the highest prices for tickets in the NHL to watch a team that couldn't compete in the minors? With Max gone we lose more goal scoring so it is obvious that either MB is doing this on purpose so that Molson can sell the team (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sell the team, you have done enough damage). Last year you could see the empty seats (of course HABS TV won't show you that). This year I bet you couldn't give away the tickets. I won't be spending any money for this "team". It appears that the move to the Bell center has not done anything but line Molson's pockets. This trade frees up more cap space in that they won't have to negotiate with Max for a new deal that will see him get at least $6M a season. Price is a good goalie (best years are behind him), but he can't score any goals, so even if he spins on his head MTL will be in the basement again this year. No NHL Center Ice for me, and NO trips to the Bell center either. NOT WORTH my time or my money.

I disagree, I think if they make real rebuild moves there will be more excitement with the franchise in general. I was offered season tickets and refused while Max was still part of the team. 

I think this is a phenomenal trade! I'm excited about suzuki and a 2nd rounder (late) is nothing to sneeze at.  

At this point, I think we need more high quality D men in our system

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

No idea, but I'm happy to have acquired him! Tatar is the throw-in, as far as I'm concerned. He'll probably put up 40-45 points with us. At 27 years old, he probably still has some decent productive years left in him. I'm quite happy to acquire a 2nd round draft choice and Suzuki.

Yep, I don't really care for Tatar one way or another. Even though he'll certainly replace some of Pacioretty's production, I see him as potential trade bait at the deadline but his NTC could complicate things a little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to care one way or another. I liked Tatar a few years ago but then again, Max was more appealing a couple years ago also.  At least we now have some Center prospects in the system I suppose. That cupboard has been bare for so long the cobwebs where as thick as a duvet.  No trip to Montreal in the plans for me this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This Trade reminds me of another one in the mid 90's where the GM couldn't get along with a star (Roy) and traded him for potential star (Thibault) players. How did Thibault turn out for the habs.  Roy won 2 cups and 11 division titles and the habs really have not done anything since. trading star players for no bodies doesn't usually work out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

This Trade reminds me of another one in the mid 90's where the GM couldn't get along with a star (Roy) and traded him for potential star (Thibault) players. How did Thibault turn out for the habs.  Roy won 2 cups and 11 division titles and the habs really have not done anything since. trading star players for no bodies doesn't usually work out.

not the same

and I don't know how you rebuild without making trades like this. This team was going nowhere anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only difference is Max wanted to stay and Roy didn't, essentially the trades themselves are identical. Roy star player and Keane for Thibault (younger supposed to be star), Rucinsky (supposed to be star) and Kovalenko (supposed to be star). The habs lost on that deal just like this one. I am not saying Max will win the cup this year but it would look good on MB and the habs management if he did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Only difference is Max wanted to stay and Roy didn't, essentially the trades themselves are identical. Roy star player and Keane for Thibault (younger supposed to be star), Rucinsky (supposed to be star) and Kovalenko (supposed to be star). The habs lost on that deal just like this one. I am not saying Max will win the cup this year but it would look good on MB and the habs management if he did.

Habs brass is denying that Max wanted to stay and did in fact request a trade. Just a question of who you believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think this is a phenomenal trade! I'm excited about suzuki and a 2nd rounder (late) is nothing to sneeze at.  

Actually there's a good chance its an early 2nd rounder.  The pick is columbus' 2nd rounder & things look like they could be very bad for them this year...

 

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

can tatar play center at all? I mean i know he's not that good anywhere but is C even an option? 

He played centre in detroit in the past.  I think he might have been drafted as a centre.  Not sure how long he's been playing wing for now though.  May be a better option than Plekanec or DLR though. 

 

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Only difference is Max wanted to stay and Roy didn't, essentially the trades themselves are identical. Roy star player and Keane for Thibault (younger supposed to be star), Rucinsky (supposed to be star) and Kovalenko (supposed to be star). The habs lost on that deal just like this one. I am not saying Max will win the cup this year but it would look good on MB and the habs management if he did.

There's a world of difference between the Max trade and the Roy trade.    Roy is arguably the greatest goalie of all time.  At worst he's in everyone's top 5.   Max is a good solid 1st line player but he's never even been a 1st team allstar in the NHL.     That changes everything because there's basically no way to win a trade for Patrick Roy. You're always going to lose unless you get a generational talent back. In Max's case there's definitely a chance 1 or more of the pieces ends up being excellent for us for a while - long after Max is in heavy decline most likely. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

There's a world of difference between the Max trade and the Roy trade.    Roy is arguably the greatest goalie of all time.  At worst he's in everyone's top 5.   Max is a good solid 1st line player but he's never even been a 1st team allstar in the NHL.     That changes everything because there's basically no way to win a trade for Patrick Roy. You're always going to lose unless you get a generational talent back. In Max's case there's definitely a chance 1 or more of the pieces ends up being excellent for us for a while - long after Max is in heavy decline most likely. 

 

I don't disagree with the assessment of their skill level, I am just saying that Max could and should have gotten a whole lot more and the results could be the same as the Roy trade. I was in no way saying that Max was a generational player like Roy but you gave up a talented scorer for maybe's and hopefully's, not worth it in my opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Only difference is Max wanted to stay and Roy didn't, essentially the trades themselves are identical. Roy star player and Keane for Thibault (younger supposed to be star), Rucinsky (supposed to be star) and Kovalenko (supposed to be star). The habs lost on that deal just like this one. I am not saying Max will win the cup this year but it would look good on MB and the habs management if he did.

You're comparing two trades that are vastly different.    Patches has never been, nor ever will be, considered a "franchise player".     He's a top line winger, that yes a lot of teams would love to have, but isn't a next level guy.   Patrick Roy on the other hand was considered a generational talent who became a beast in the playoffs.   Roy won us two cups on his own, Patches has yet to perform well in the playoffs.    

While we might have a got a bit more, this trade in the grande scheme of things is acceptable.   We got a guy who was drafted 13th overall who was projected to go higher, another pick and Tatar who could potentially replace some of Patches production or be flipped for even more assetts.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not saying that Suzuki will not work out to be better than Patches (I hope he does) only saying NOW who will score goals in the mean time. Assets are great to have but what if they don't develop into the players you are hoping for then you got NOTHING for Pacioretty. Hopes and Dreams are no way to run a hockey team, if your trading away your top scorer you better be sure that you can replace him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't disagree with the assessment of their skill level, I am just saying that Max could and should have gotten a whole lot more and the results could be the same as the Roy trade. I was in no way saying that Max was a generational player like Roy but you gave up a talented scorer for maybe's and hopefully's, not worth it in my opinion

Right but the point is that by comparing the two trades you set up an argument that is pretty much invalid. They are just soooo different.  I mean the return we got for Roy was actually good if it wasnt Roy.   Rucinsky was a terrific player at both sides of the ice.  Thibeault was severely mishandled and Kovalenko (who was supposed to be the real key piece in the deal)  was just too fond of Montreal hot dogs I think. But it was Roy - there was no replacing him.      Tatar is in no way a replacement for Max (although he is younger) but Suzuki may be (and then some).  Plus that second rounder - you never know.

its not the greatest haul we could have gotten (i dont believe the LA rumors for one second) but its definitely not MB's worst trade.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Right but the point is that by comparing the two trades you set up an argument that is pretty much invalid. They are just soooo different.  I mean the return we got for Roy was actually good if it wasnt Roy.   Rucinsky was a terrific player at both sides of the ice.  Thibeault was severely mishandled and Kovalenko (who was supposed to be the real key piece in the deal)  was just too fond of Bell centre hot dogs I think. But it was Roy - there was no replacing him.      Tatar is in no way a replacement for Max (although he is younger) but Suzuki may be (and then some).  Plus that second rounder - you never know.

its not the greatest haul we could have gotten (i dont believe the LA rumors for one second) but its definitely not MB's worst trade.  

IMO, we got the best deal we could have, under the circumstances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way I see it,,,

Could we have gotten more?. Probably. That ship sailed when MB did his utmost to lower his value,,, similar to his PK transaction.

Should we have gotten more? See above.

I guess on paper it looks OK,,, getting essentially a 1st and 2nd rounder and Tatar. How that translates down the road is always a crapshoot when dealing with prospects.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

The way I see it,,,

Could we have gotten more?. Probably. That ship sailed when MB did his utmost to lower his value,,, similar to his PK transaction.

Should we have gotten more? See above.

I guess on paper it looks OK,,, getting essentially a 1st and 2nd rounder and Tatar. How that translates down the road is always a crapshoot when dealing with prospects.. 

That's exactly my point the situation should never have been handled the way it was, I think instead of getting Tatar and picks the you could have gotten either Haula or Smith plus the picks and it would have been better than Tatar and the picks cause you would have been able to replace Max's scoring with either of them.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Rumoured (TSN) to have asked for north of 64 mill eight year deal. Can't see any way that we don't walk away from that type of deal in our situation. Will be interesting to see if the ask is the same from Vegas.

Ugh. No way he should be getting 8x8 from anyone, that's ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...