The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Drouin

ramcharger440

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

100% totally agree - in a vacuum.  As ive said numerous times, Im not convinced Sergachev is ever more than a #3-4 dman - i think he's very good, but is he more valuable than a 60 point winger?  Not sure yet.  Too early to call a winner of the trade yet for sure imho.

Having said that based on our needs, I dislike the trade very much.  I  was fine with it at the time (trading a prospect for a proven 50 point 22 year old) but ONLY if we then turned around & addressed our other needs (namely, on D).  

Yup, this ... we needed a LD and C ... we traded a LD and got a LW that we tried to shove into the C role consistently over the guy we drafted as a C (Galchenyuk, though to be fair I think he's a winger just like Drouin).

On 3/8/2019 at 0:51 AM, rkgoalie said:

he is all skill no  heart   imo

Unfortunately, the above quote says it all. Steve Yzerman knew exactly what he was doing trading Drouin out of Tampa. Yes, he is young but a leopard doesn't lose its spots. This is what he is. His commitment to playing every game, let alone every shift is weak at best. We either accept it or trade him away for less than we gave up for him. Too bad cause he could have checked off all the boxes to be a star in Montreal. Talent, French Name, Speaks French but no heart and commitment to play the right way every game

48 minutes ago, maas_art said:

he looks lost.  i think he's overthinking things, trying to make some magical play. he's fighting the puck right now.  Lets hope that changes. 

Ya know,,,,, we've all seen "splashes" of his talent, he can pick up the puck and enters the O-zone, and promptly loses it, that is on the coaching staff, because if they don't, it will continue.

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

he looks lost.  i think he's overthinking things, trying to make some magical play. he's fighting the puck right now.  Lets hope that changes. 

He needs to keep the play  in front of him and the  coaching staff needs to hammer that into his head. This habit of looking behind him to pass is really getting annoying. As soon as he gets the slightest pressure he resorts to that drop pass that every team in the League knows is coming. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

He needs to keep the play  in front of him and the  coaching staff needs to hammer that into his head. This habit of looking behind him to pass is really getting annoying. As soon as he gets the slightest pressure he resorts to that drop pass that every team in the League knows is coming. 

He also seems to be messing up the simplest plays at times. e.g. Making one solid pass to exit the zone. I'm not sure you can make him a healthy scratch right now. I think you're right... the coaching staff needs to keep working with him.

I thought he had a decent game against the Lightning.

I don't think this is a coaching issue, he has been around long enough to know the basics! this is on Drouin. time to grow up and play for your teamates instead of yourself, if he is so lost that he can't even hustle off the ice for a shift change or skate hard consistantly to backcheck or even look to see if one of his teamates is in position to get one of his silly backpasses what use will he be down the road? he is not a child suck it up and get it done in my opinion we made a big mistake with this trade.

11 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I don't think this is a coaching issue, he has been around long enough to know the basics! this is on Drouin. time to grow up and play for your teamates instead of yourself, if he is so lost that he can't even hustle off the ice for a shift change or skate hard consistantly to backcheck or even look to see if one of his teamates is in position to get one of his silly backpasses what use will he be down the road? he is not a child suck it up and get it done in my opinion we made a big mistake with this trade.

this exactly

Never been the person who cries over spilled milk. More of a solutions for the problem person. We have Drouin and now he has to be used correctly. This is a coaching issue. The last couple of games with Weal and Armia, he has looked not to bad. But that is still not where he belongs. If he does get moved in the off season, sure he will thrive with a good coach. 

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Never been the person who cries over spilled milk. More of a solutions for the problem person. We have Drouin and now he has to be used correctly. This is a coaching issue. The last couple of games with Weal and Armia, he has looked not to bad. But that is still not where he belongs. If he does get moved in the off season, sure he will thrive with a good coach. 

I think he needs to play with Domi as earlier in the season. Lek has done well with Domi but he isn't 1st line talent. Id like to see Drouin/Domi , (Gallager/Shaw) next year Droiun/Domi/Suzuki. 

Meh. i think he is a lost cause but you never know i suppose he could suddenly grow up and put in the work and effort to compete instead of riding his talent. i am no big CJ fan but it is far too easy to put this on the coach was it the coach in Tampa too? they seem to be doing ok.....

I would certainly never blame the coaching staff for Drouin's shortcomings, but that doesn't mean the coaching staff can't continue to work with him to help him improve his overall game. That is, after all, the coaching staff's job. To coach players. To win games. To get the most out of the pieces they have.

Drouin needs to put in the work. And the coaching staff needs to continue doing the same. It's not one or the other.

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Meh. i think he is a lost cause but you never know i suppose he could suddenly grow up and put in the work and effort to compete instead of riding his talent. i am no big CJ fan but it is far too easy to put this on the coach was it the coach in Tampa too? they seem to be doing ok.....

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would certainly never blame the coaching staff for Drouin's shortcomings, but that doesn't mean the coaching staff can't continue to work with him to help him improve his overall game. That is, after all, the coaching staff's job. To coach players. To win games. To get the most out of the pieces they have.

Drouin needs to put in the work. And the coaching staff needs to continue doing the same. It's not one or the other.

Its just much easier to blame the coaches.   People still bring up Tyler Seguin & say Julien cant handle talent but Seguin himself has said (several times) that Julien was trying to help him by taking pressure off of him by playing him down the lineup. He says the only reason his career turned around was that when he got traded he realized he needed to smarten up & his increased his effort.  That is not on Julien & neither is this.  Drouin has been given tons of opportunity but he's been unable to seize it.    Im not saying we throw the baby out with the bathwater but if the right deal came along for a top LHD id move JD in a heartbeat. 

10 hours ago, habs1952 said:

A good team captain would have taken Drouin aside and called him out. 

He probably already has. but at the end of the day it is on the player to do his job as much for himself as anyone else. lets face it he is a bust! how many points has he had in the last three months it is pathetic!

There has to be some kind of underlying problem with the falloff in Drouin's game. Is he playing hurt maybe? Is it mental? Hard to explain the cautious style he's been playing. It's like he's wearing a vest of eggs. Every time a fore checker comes near him, he's looking to unload the puck,,,, and 80% of the time it's a back pass,,, and often blindly. 

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

There has to be some kind of underlying problem with the falloff in Drouin's game. Is he playing hurt maybe? Is it mental? Hard to explain the cautious style he's been playing. It's like he's wearing a vest of eggs. Every time a fore checker comes near him, he's looking to unload the puck,,,, and 80% of the time it's a back pass,,, and often blindly. 

as the year goes on it gets hard.................

20 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It may well be injury-related, quite frankly I hope so. Shoulder or wrist maybe? He didn't shy away from all physical contact in the first half of the season and as you say, there's really no logical explanation for his production drying up completely. He's what, like -10 with 1 goal and 1 assist since March and both points came in the same game.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

as the year goes on it gets hard.................

I'm starting to think he's just afraid to get hit and, along with ram's point, maybe the other teams are realizing this and using it to force him to cough up the puck.

59 minutes ago, rocketbelifleur said:

I'm starting to think he's just afraid to get hit and, along with ram's point, maybe the other teams are realizing this and using it to force him to cough up the puck.

They don't have to force him. Lately just looking at him is good enough to make him cough it up on one of those patented back passes to nobody. Hate to keep harping on the guy, but his second half of the season was pretty much a disaster. Personally i hope whatever it is gets resolved for him if he's still here next season. Watching him has been a painful experience the last couple months.

• H_T_L locked this topic