The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Lindgren has been terrible this year. Lindgren's numbers are terrible this year. He probably won't provide anymore support for Price than Niemi did.

He's actually always had pretty bad numbers in the minors.  Some players just do better in the NHL for whatever reason.

Im not saying he'll definitely be better in the NHL this year but i certainly have more confidence in him than Niemi right now. 

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Lindgren has been terrible this year. Lindgren's numbers are terrible this year. He probably won't provide anymore support for Price than Niemi did.

True, but you have nothing to lose using him for some games.

23 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

True, but you have nothing to lose using him for some games.

Well... McNiven's numbers are better than Lindgren's, so... you may have nothing to lose by getting Lindgren some starts when comparing against Niemi, but you might have something to gain by promoting the goaltender who has performed better in Laval this season rather than the one who really didn't shine that much in 14 games with Montreal in 2017-2018 (3.03 GAA, 0.908 save percentage).

35 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Well... McNiven's numbers are better than Lindgren's, so... you may have nothing to lose by getting Lindgren some starts when comparing against Niemi, but you might have something to gain by promoting the goaltender who has performed better in Laval this season rather than the one who really didn't shine that much in 14 games with Montreal in 2017-2018 (3.03 GAA, 0.908 save percentage).

In fairness, I think Laval's 2018-2019 defense is actually better than Montreal's was in 2017-2018.   :D

47 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

McNiven is younger ... so promoting Lindgren gives McNiven more opportunity to develop in the AHL

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

McNiven is younger ... so promoting Lindgren gives McNiven more opportunity to develop in the AHL

Is this move about developing talent in Laval or earning points in the short-term for Montreal? Calling McNiven or Lindgren up to play in, maybe... two NHL games isn't going to derail anyone's development. If you call up Lindgren, then it's because you plan to use him. Which means he's going to share some of the responsibility for earning points in the games he plays. I think you should call up the goaltender who has had the better season. Otherwise you're just potentially leaving more points on the table as we flounder our way towards game 82.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Is this move about developing talent in Laval or earning points in the short-term for Montreal? Calling McNiven or Lindgren up to play in, maybe... two NHL games isn't going to derail anyone's development. If you call up Lindgren, then it's because you plan to use him. Which means he's going to share some of the responsibility for earning points in the games he plays. I think you should call up the goaltender who has had the better season. Otherwise you're just potentially leaving more points on the table as we flounder our way towards game 82.

I'm thinking Carey plays every game, Lindgren is up in case of injury as all trust has been lost in Niemi

2 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I'm thinking Carey plays every game, Lindgren is up in case of injury as all trust has been lost in Niemi

If that were the case why call him up unless Carey actually gets injured? He's only over in Laval. He could easily pop over to the island of Montreal at any moment should Carey actually get injured. I'm thinking Carey plays most of the games, but... we do have another back-to-back situation during March 23/34. I guess we'll see who the back-up is tonight. My guess is Lindgren... but, that's just a guess.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

If that were the case why call him up unless Carey actually gets injured? He's only over in Laval. He could easily pop over to the island of Montreal at any moment should Carey actually get injured. I'm thinking Carey plays most of the games, but... we do have another back-to-back situation during March 23/34. I guess we'll see who the back-up is tonight. My guess is Lindgren... but, that's just a guess.

Yes but .... if Carey gets hurt mid game, do you want to put Niemi in?  I think overall they'd rather have Lindgren as back up and McNiven playing in the AHL as I doubt he'd fare better than Niemi.

1 minute ago, HabsAlways said:

Yes but .... if Carey gets hurt mid game, do you want to put Niemi in?  I think overall they'd rather have Lindgren as back up and McNiven playing in the AHL as I doubt he'd fare better than Niemi.

Honestly, I'd rather have McNiven in. His numbers are superior to Lindgren's at the AHL level this season over a large enough sample size for me to think, "he's the better goaltender right now."

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I wonder if Lindgren vs McNiven is partially to do with the upcoming expansion draft?  

Price has a NMC, so by rule he HAS to be the goalie we protect. Lindgren, assuming he's still here has to be exposed. But to my knowledge, any player who has more than two years of pro experience is ED-eligible as well, and the AHL counts. So McNiven by the end of the 2020-21 season when Seattle is drafting would have completed his 3rd season and would then be ED-eligible too. So it doesn't really make a difference which guy we call up in that regard. You could argue we don't want teams knowing about McNiven as a talent, but it'd be hard to keep him hidden for 3 years if he's good. In the end, Primeau is ED-safe, so he's probably the next guy up even if we lose one goalie or the other.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

My opinion is they take Lehkonen if we don't protect him

Habs will likely protect 7 forwards and 3 D. Drouin, Domi, and Kotkaniemi are the three easy calls up front as is. Juulsen and Mete are two of the guys on the back end. But after that, most of the other key guys are currently scheduled to be UFA's at that point: Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, and Petry. So it just depends how much you want to chance exposing them and having them sign elsewhere vs. guaranteeing you lock them up beforehand but then having to protect them. Not sure Shaw, Byron, Hudon, etc. are going to be worth protecting at that point in their careers, and even Weber is a maybe a guy by then that you're okay getting out from his contract. Not saying they for sure protect Lehkonen, but MB likes him and we might just not have too many other guys needing protection. Suzuki, Brook, Romanov, Poehling, Ikonen, Ylonen, etc., if any make the team, would be exempt at that time, so Lehkonen's one of the few guys who will still be young enough to protect in a few years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Anybody surprised??

No.  I was actually surprised we resigned him last summer. I felt like developing Lindgren was a better choice but it makes you wonder if Waite was worried about Charlie. 

That said, by all accounts Niemi is like the second most-liked guy in the NHL (Alzner being first) so I guess maybe his personality played into it.  Probably the cup ring too. 

50 minutes ago, maas_art said:

No.  I was actually surprised we resigned him last summer. I felt like developing Lindgren was a better choice but it makes you wonder if Waite was worried about Charlie. 

That said, by all accounts Niemi is like the second most-liked guy in the NHL (Alzner being first) so I guess maybe his personality played into it.  Probably the cup ring too. 

Not sure the Habs are as high on Lindgren as they were a year or two ago. Maybe they feel better about McNiven or Primeau down the line, but for now, I don't think they're going to leave things to chance on Lindgren's back. I think he'll get a shot out of camp, but I would be surprised if MB doesn't bring in a veteran along the lines of Elliott or Ward or so on to battle for the job.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Not sure the Habs are as high on Lindgren as they were a year or two ago. Maybe they feel better about McNiven or Primeau down the line, but for now, I don't think they're going to leave things to chance on Lindgren's back. I think he'll get a shot out of camp, but I would be surprised if MB doesn't bring in a veteran along the lines of Elliott or Ward or so on to battle for the job.

I agree for a small cap hit we can pick up a dependable goalie no big time star but not a dumpster fire either. if we are going to be serious we can''t take a chance with unproven netminders.

Proven goalies are so dependable.

A veteran of 11 NHL seasons, Niemi is a career 242-140-57 with a GAA of 2.57 and a .912 SV% over 463 games with the Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, Dallas Stars, Pittsburgh Penguins, Florida Panthers and Canadiens.

28 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree for a small cap hit we can pick up a dependable goalie no big time star but not a dumpster fire either. if we are going to be serious we can''t take a chance with unproven netminders.

12 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Proven goalies are so dependable.

A veteran of 11 NHL seasons, Niemi is a career 242-140-57 with a GAA of 2.57 and a .912 SV% over 463 games with the Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, Dallas Stars, Pittsburgh Penguins, Florida Panthers and Canadiens.

Niemi is way past his prime though, and he benefited from playing on some top teams in his prime. Other than his little run here last year, he's been a sub-.900 goalie for a few years now.

A few guys who could be available... I mentioned Brian Elliott as one. He was a .907 goalie this year, which is a full 2% better than Niemi. That means an extra goal saved every three games. With Binnington's emergence in Stl, Jake Allen could be on the market... he's consistently a .905 to .910 goalie but he still has two more years on his contract at 4M+, so we'd be doing this type of a trade because Stl is taking money back too (Alzner, Weise, or someone like that). Cam Ward is a gamble but a cheaper option. Or we go Lindgren or McNiven...