The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

17 hours ago, HARBORSPORT said:

good-bye nemo.....training camp will be interesting with possibly 3 guys looking to be the backup

My money is on MB signing a veteran back-up. He's leaned on vets to back up Price and I don't see him changing now. Doesn't cost much more than Lindgren being there, and I think after this year, MB isn't going to play a game of chance as to whether his back-up can win games. I think he'll go after a proven veteran and hope he does better than Niemi (who in fairness was simply bad before he got here too, so it was predictable). I really think Brian Ellliot could be a top choice as a guy who is still productive but who has lost a starter's job in Philly to a kid and whereby Philly also has a ton of goalies hanging around there. Cam Talbot could be another guy who leaves Philly without a starting job. Cam Ward's a name we've brought up before, although I'm less sold on him personally...

21 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Niemi is way past his prime though, and he benefited from playing on some top teams in his prime. Other than his little run here last year, he's been a sub-.900 goalie for a few years now.

A few guys who could be available... I mentioned Brian Elliott as one. He was a .907 goalie this year, which is a full 2% better than Niemi. That means an extra goal saved every three games. With Binnington's emergence in Stl, Jake Allen could be on the market... he's consistently a .905 to .910 goalie but he still has two more years on his contract at 4M+, so we'd be doing this type of a trade because Stl is taking money back too (Alzner, Weise, or someone like that). Cam Ward is a gamble but a cheaper option. Or we go Lindgren or McNiven...

I am in no way suggesting we keep Niemi! my point is in the offseason we should have no problem finding a fair backup with some games in the NHL i am also fairly ok using either Lindgren and or McNiven as long as there is someone to back all that up if they don't work out and Carey gets hurt. no point throwing away another season because we are short in an area that is fairly easy to fill.

16 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

i am also fairly ok using either Lindgren and or McNiven as long as there is someone to back all that up if they don't work out and Carey gets hurt. n

Yeah to me the biggest issue this year wasnt that we went into the season with Niemi & he faltered. It happens.  The big problem is that the coaching & Management staff didnt address this earlier.  Had they fixed the backup problem by say February (and it was clear it was a problem - we couldnt trust to not have Carey in nets) then we probably are in the playoffs right now, even with our putrid powerplay. 

• 3 weeks later...