The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Carey Price

HabsRuleForever

18 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Shades of Red Light Racicot.

You know its funny, I read an article the other day showing that Red LIght wasn't actually anywhere as near as bad as we remember.  His numbers look horrendous now but he was basically a mid-tier backup. The drop-off between him and Roy was substantial though so I think that plays into some of the history.

19 hours ago, maas_art said:

You know its funny, I read an article the other day showing that Red LIght wasn't actually anywhere as near as bad as we remember.  His numbers look horrendous now but he was basically a mid-tier backup. The drop-off between him and Roy was substantial though so I think that plays into some of the history.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/history/2018/12/21/18150030/the-exoneration-of-andre-red-light-racicot-statistical-analysis-backup-goaltenders-patrick-roy

Yeah, Racicot's problem was that he was living in the shadow of Patrick Roy and was french.   So the pundits all thought as a backup he should be close to Roy in statistics but the reality back then was your backup usually wasn't close.    Looking at his two full seasons, he was slightly above average statistically compared to other backups those years.   His major downfall was his last season with Montreal where he was abysmal through 11 games with a 4.44 GAA (69th/79) and 0.850 SV (69th out of 79) ... and it's probably that season alone that earned him the nickname.

33 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/history/2018/12/21/18150030/the-exoneration-of-andre-red-light-racicot-statistical-analysis-backup-goaltenders-patrick-roy

Yeah, Racicot's problem was that he was living in the shadow of Patrick Roy and was french.   So the pundits all thought as a backup he should be close to Roy in statistics but the reality back then was your backup usually wasn't close.    Looking at his two full seasons, he was slightly above average statistically compared to other backups those years.   His major downfall was his last season with Montreal where he was abysmal through 11 games with a 4.44 GAA (69th/79) and 0.850 SV (69th out of 79) ... and it's probably that season alone that earned him the nickname.

Yeah, a backup in those days was really only there in case your starter got injured during a game. Backups didn't play enough to stay sharp.

3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

I actually think he got the nickname in his first game / season.  Didnt he play like 1/2 a period & let in 3 goals & that was it for the season?  I think like the very next day Red Fisher or someone said in the paper "we cant let ol' "red light" Racicot in nets again.   And that stuck with him.

He had a couple of decent years after that but was obviously never going to be much more than a backup & spent pretty much his whole time in the minors. 

• 2 weeks later...

Price playing lights out hockey the last few games. The experts point out that our D has been good in front, of him but IMO it's Price making them look good. I'm still seeing a ton of quality chances being given but he just keeps bailing them out. Far from the shut down effort the experts claim our D is pitching.

26 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Somebody take a DNA test of this guy. No way he's human. Single handedly dragging this team along.

Too bad he had such a crappy stretch early in the year. Since Dec i think he has the top stats in the NHL.  Will probably be in on the Vezina talk (but wont win it) May end up a finalist. 

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Too bad he had such a crappy stretch early in the year. Since Dec i think he has the top stats in the NHL.  Will probably be in on the Vezina talk (but wont win it) May end up a finalist. 

Tonight TSN said that since Jan. 1, Carey has the 2nd best stats of all goalies with 25 GP.  

• H_T_L locked this topic