The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

3 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

What about rescinding the offer? Like, could we back out if we wanted to? Say, if we wanted to offer a trade for someone else on their roster (Jake Bean, perhaps). Could we use backing out of Aho’s offer sheet as a bargaining chip?

Just wondering...

You should post this in the Aho thread. 

I keep reading Vegas is willing to trade Gusev due to their cap issues, adding a skilled potential top 6 winger certainly wouldn't hurt. According to reports, he's looking for a 2-year deal around 4M, which wouldn't handcuff us at all.

18 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Not our rumour but there is a rumour someone is tendering an Offersheet 1 year 13 Mil for Mariner the Leafs only have like 12.7 Mil in space so the couldn't match until they moved someone and if that takes more than 7 days they would be screwed.

They can go 10% over the cap during the summer. It will piss them off having to pay him that much to keep him though, no doubt.

11 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

They can go 10% over the cap during the summer. It will piss them off having to pay him that much to keep him though, no doubt.

Yeah that's 8.15 Mil plus 3.77 mil in space left right now that puts it at 12 mil ish LMAO 13 puts them having to desperately move someone making whoever takes the player wanting something extra as well. Vultures are circling LMAO 

32 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Not our rumour but there is a rumour someone is tendering an Offersheet 1 year 13 Mil for Mariner the Leafs only have like 12.7 Mil in space so the couldn't match until they moved someone and if that takes more than 7 days they would be screwed.

Yeah and even better is that it might be the Islanders, looking to get back at Toronto for Tavares...

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Seems sort of silly though. I mean you would lose 4 1st round draft picks for 1 year of marner if that isnt matched, correct?

Although i guess he'd still be (your) RFA then correct?

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Seems sort of silly though. I mean you would lose 4 1st round draft picks for 1 year of marner if that isnt matched, correct?

That is correct on all accounts. My thinking is IF you sign him for 1 year at say 13 Mil he would have to be willing to a verbal agreement to take a more reasonable number on his next contract otherwise I don't even think about 13 mil for 1 year. Maybe 11.5 or 12 for the 4 years we give up the 1sts but not 13 for 1 year.

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, that sounds like the worst idea ever. Offering Marner $13 million for one year... And what will he expect for his next contract? $13.5? $14? $15? And yeah, giving up four first round draft choices for that seems foolish.

24 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, that sounds like the worst idea ever. Offering Marner $13 million for one year... And what will he expect for his next contract? $13.5? $14? $15? And yeah, giving up four first round draft choices for that seems foolish.

Yeah I agree also just to be clear it was an Eklund rumour so take it with a grain of salt if you will LMAO 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I see, I see. Eklund. I guess we can be sure the offer sheet for Marner ISN'T coming, in that case.

Hrm.  Eklund was the first guy to "confirm" that Carolina was Matching Aho... does this mean they were bluffing??? :P

40 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Hrm.  Eklund was the first guy to "confirm" that Carolina was Matching Aho... does this mean they were bluffing??? :P

:4224: I wish, and if they were bluffing it will really really piss of their fans. Also if they are bluffing I think the hope is for either Montreal to offer additional assets or spend the money so they can void the contract and renegotiate for a contract to their liking.

Dave Pagnotta reports two teams have entertained the idea of offer-sheeting Marner... one is the Islanders, who he says are seriously considering the move and the other is the Habs, whom he says aren't really big on the idea any more. What he does add though is that the Habs have moved on to another target: Patrik Laine. He doesn't say whether he thinks moving on Laine would be via offersheet or trade, but he seems to think that's our next target after Aho.

Now the Jets still have a ton of cap space. 22M+ to be exact. However, they have to re-sign Laine and Connor and Pionk and find another 5 forwards to fill out their line-up, so that could start to add up fast. In particular, they seem to be pretty thin at wing right now. I wonder if they'd be interested in finding a couple of players who could give them bodies at a lower cost than Laine might take. We also know Laine has expressed interest in seeing if he can get more money outside of Winnipeg, so he may well be open to an OS, but a trade could save us the headache of going through another week of being handcuffed. If Laine does want 8M-ish, then I also doubt the Jets take the 1st/2nd/3rd picks. But they might be open to Drouin, Hudon, and a 1st, for example. Gives them two guys who'll make less than Laine even when you combine their salaries.

Laine is an interesting topic. I wasn't impressed by his goal scoring drought this year as he appeared to be in quite a funk, and the fact he appears to be able to turn it back on when he wants but he is young. RFA OS can be used in a number of ways to make other teams struggle with signing their top prospects. I'm not sure we always need to target the best player on another team. I liked looking at Vrana and Tkachuk this year knowing both Washington and Calgary need to save some money to sign some top of the line UFA's next year. I still like going after Vrana as he wouldn't cost near as much in picks and Washington only has about $4 Million in cap space. it might be 

Dave Pagnotta on Sportsnet going further now and saying the Habs have had significant trade discussions with Winnipeg for Laine. Also says Laine's camp is hoping for a contract in the range of 10M AAV. Not sure he's worth that, but I think an AAV of 8M for 7 years would be a good compromise.

As far as trade return goes, I think Drouin has to be a guy they're discussing. It gives Winnipeg a scoring winger back but at a cheaper cost. Laine is obviously a better commodity than Drouin given he's a better goal-scorer and younger, but with the contracts likely being in Drouin's favor, I wouldn't see the overall compensation as having to be too much more. I wonder if something like Drouin + Hudon + 1st would be enough, or Drouin, Hudon, Juulsen, and a 1st. Otherwise, the Habs could theoretically offer-sheet a 10M 5 year deal and it would be 2 1st's, a 2nd, and a 3rd... I think Winnipeg would be happier with the player compensation above in terms of getting NHL players in on cheaper contracts though. They need bodies to fill their line-up.

• H_T_L locked this topic