The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

19 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Hard to believe we could not get rid of Alzner in the same fashion. This has not been a great summer for MB.

The thing with Alzner though is that we dont really need cap relief from his salary right now. Its $4.6m but when you bury him in the minors it goes down to a cap hit of like $3.4m  If we end up needing that space its worth moving him but you'd have to give up assets (picks and/or prospects) which seems unnecessary at this point to do.   We still may have to, if we sign/trade for someone that pushes us up to the cap but for now its not really worth it.  

I believe next summer is when its worthwhile to buy him out, so if we can limp by with 1 more year, its probably better than losing assets with him to save that $3m+ this year. 

10 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't know, doesn't really sound like a legitimate rumor.

If a team was really interested in Gardiner they could probably just sign him and move someone after. It's easy enough for a team to operate over the cap limit before the season starts. Several teams are doing it right now, according to Capfriendly.

Michael Russo is in my view a pretty reliable reporter... he also broke the Paul Fenton firing today, and he's dug up some other things before too. I think the information here is that Gardiner pretty much has a deal in place and knows where he wants to go but is waiting on another move to make it work. It also suggests there's someone willing to give him a longer-term deal.

You're correct that teams can go over the cap by 10% but that doesn't mean they should. The 2nd buyout window is about to end, so imagine you're a team that no longer has a buyout option and you're sitting 5M over the cap. Other teams will hold you hostage knowing you have no choice but to move cap out within the next month or so. It's actually a smarter move to deal away your cap baggage first and then confirm your signing, so no one can hold the cap overage against you as a bargaining chip.

Further to Russo's speculation, more talk from Lyle Richardson that the teams other than the Leafs who could be the handshake team with Gardiner are possibly the Knights, Panthers, Oilers, and Pens. If we put those pieces of information together though, the question is which team needs to move a D contract big enough to be able to put Gardiner in the line-up, assuming Gardiner is going to be making in all likelihood upwards of 6-7M a season...

- the Pens have basically no cap space. We know they want to move Jack Johnson, but that wouldn't be enough to fit in Gardiner. The only D man making enough to be able to move to squeeze Gardiner in would be Letang and it doesn't make a lot of sense to move Letang to be able to fit Gardiner in. Doesn't seem like a fit here if you believe Russo's info.

- The Panthers have a bit over 2M in cap room, but they still need to add a couple of forwards to the mix, so they're also pretty much tied down. I doubt they're moving Ekblad to fit in Gardiner, and they just signed Stralman. That leaves you with Yandle's 6.3M AAV deal and Matheson's 4.9M one. The problem here is that Yandle has a NMC and I'm not sure moving out Matheson's 4.9M is enough to fit in Gardiner, nor is it really an upgrade to pay Gardiner 7M instead of Matheson 4.9M... also seems like it's not a team that could move one D man to make Gardiner fit unless Yandle has agreed to waive his NMC.

- The Knights have about 1M in cap space and need to add a D man to the roster already, not subtract one. The only two guys making more than 5M a year are Schmidt (a RHD) and Theodore... if you move Theodore, you gain 5.2M in cap space, which again, is probably not enough to sign Gardiner. It's also not a brilliant move to dump Theodore for Gardiner unless the trade return blows you away. Skeptical of this too.

- Lastly, the Oilers... 2.4M in cap space, so it would be tight, but maybe they could create cap room for Gardiner by moving out a 4M+ guy. That leaves you two RHD - Russell, who has a modified NTC, and Larsson - along with one LHD, Klefbom. We know Edmonton has shopped him before, albeit when Chiarelli was GM. But if you remove his 4.17M cap hit and tinker a bit with who makes the roster, it would give Edm about 7M in cap space to sign Gardiner...

So not saying Russo is right or Richardson is right, but IF you believe both pieces of information, then Edmonton seems the most likely to meet all those criteria as a possible destination. It would also mean for MB that Klefbom could potentially be available without having to give up a roster player in return...

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Further to Russo's speculation, more talk from Lyle Richardson that the teams other than the Leafs who could be the handshake team with Gardiner are possibly the Knights, Panthers, Oilers, and Pens. If we put those pieces of information together though, the question is which team needs to move a D contract big enough to be able to put Gardiner in the line-up, assuming Gardiner is going to be making in all likelihood upwards of 6-7M a season...

- the Pens have basically no cap space. We know they want to move Jack Johnson, but that wouldn't be enough to fit in Gardiner. The only D man making enough to be able to move to squeeze Gardiner in would be Letang and it doesn't make a lot of sense to move Letang to be able to fit Gardiner in. Doesn't seem like a fit here if you believe Russo's info.

- The Panthers have a bit over 2M in cap room, but they still need to add a couple of forwards to the mix, so they're also pretty much tied down. I doubt they're moving Ekblad to fit in Gardiner, and they just signed Stralman. That leaves you with Yandle's 6.3M AAV deal and Matheson's 4.9M one. The problem here is that Yandle has a NMC and I'm not sure moving out Matheson's 4.9M is enough to fit in Gardiner, nor is it really an upgrade to pay Gardiner 7M instead of Matheson 4.9M... also seems like it's not a team that could move one D man to make Gardiner fit unless Yandle has agreed to waive his NMC.

- The Knights have about 1M in cap space and need to add a D man to the roster already, not subtract one. The only two guys making more than 5M a year are Schmidt (a RHD) and Theodore... if you move Theodore, you gain 5.2M in cap space, which again, is probably not enough to sign Gardiner. It's also not a brilliant move to dump Theodore for Gardiner unless the trade return blows you away. Skeptical of this too.

- Lastly, the Oilers... 2.4M in cap space, so it would be tight, but maybe they could create cap room for Gardiner by moving out a 4M+ guy. That leaves you two RHD - Russell, who has a modified NTC, and Larsson - along with one LHD, Klefbom. We know Edmonton has shopped him before, albeit when Chiarelli was GM. But if you remove his 4.17M cap hit and tinker a bit with who makes the roster, it would give Edm about 7M in cap space to sign Gardiner...

So not saying Russo is right or Richardson is right, but IF you believe both pieces of information, then Edmonton seems the most likely to meet all those criteria as a possible destination. It would also mean for MB that Klefbom could potentially be available without having to give up a roster player in return...

I don't see the Oilers moving Klefbom for Gardiner. I have been wrong before but IMHO Klefbom > Gardiner. Maybe instead I would move Nurse but not sure that g8ves them enough cap space.

25 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't see the Oilers moving Klefbom for Gardiner. I have been wrong before but IMHO Klefbom > Gardiner. Maybe instead I would move Nurse but not sure that g8ves them enough cap space.

Just saying it's the only team where the money/opportunity really matches up with the info given, unless Yandle is waiving his NMC. Again, the info could be wrong. I also wouldn't move Klefbom for Gardiner, but maybe the Oilers would. For them, it also comes down to moving Klefbom for Gardiner and whatever they get in the trade, kind of like how Nashville saw Duchene as part of the return for trading Subban. So if they deal Klefbom to us for something like a 2nd rounder and Juulsen, they'd see it as Klefbom for Gardiner, Juulsen, and a 2nd, which maybe makes more sense to them... who knows.

Just saying it's the only team where the money/opportunity really matches up with the info given, unless Yandle is waiving his NMC. Again, the info could be wrong. I also wouldn't move Klefbom for Gardiner, but maybe the Oilers would. For them, it also comes down to moving Klefbom for Gardiner and whatever they get in the trade, kind of like how Nashville saw Duchene as part of the return for trading Subban. So if they deal Klefbom to us for something like a 2nd rounder and Juulsen, they'd see it as Klefbom for Gardiner, Juulsen, and a 2nd, which maybe makes more sense to them... who knows.

I get what your saying but also Buffalo, Montreal, Islanders, Rangers and Cannucks fit in that category as well.

Buffalo is already reportedly shopping Ristolainen, Islanders are shopping Leddy and have been for a while, Rangers and Cannucks both need LHD almost as badly as us. So really it could be anyone, that being said that opens trade options for us as you eluded to if we are not the ones with the deal.

21 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

It is obviously New York as they are buying out Shattenkirk. Teams in the east getting stronger as MB sits on his hands. 

Rangers make no sense they had to buyout Shattenkirk just to resign their own 2 RFA's Lemieux and Deangelo. No way they can fit Gardiner too

23 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I get what your saying but also Buffalo, Montreal, Islanders, Rangers and Cannucks fit in that category as well.

Buffalo is already reportedly shopping Ristolainen, Islanders are shopping Leddy and have been for a while, Rangers and Cannucks both need LHD almost as badly as us. So really it could be anyone, that being said that opens trade options for us as you eluded to if we are not the ones with the deal.

I didn't say there weren't other teams who could sign Gardiner by moving a D man. I'm saying Edm makes the most sense of the teams that Lyle Richardson posted in his rumor... compared to Fla, LV, or Pit.

I didn't say there weren't other teams who could sign Gardiner by moving a D man. I'm saying Edm makes the most sense of the teams that Lyle Richardson posted in his rumor... compared to Fla, LV, or Pit.

See and to me Edm makes the least sense. 1. They already have Nurse and Klefbom. 2. All of their D are on cap friendly contracts. 3. Klefbom is better and younger with more of a ceiling and Defensive ability than Gardiner.

18 hours ago, campabee82 said:

See and to me Edm makes the least sense. 1. They already have Nurse and Klefbom. 2. All of their D are on cap friendly contracts. 3. Klefbom is better and younger with more of a ceiling and Defensive ability than Gardiner.

And like I said, I am not commenting on what makes hockey sense. I agree that I'd rather keep Klebom over Gardiner myself... all I was pointing out was that of the 4 teams listed by Richardson, Edmonton is the one that best fits the description of a team that could move out a D man in order to make room for Gardiner.

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

And like I said, I am not commenting on what makes hockey sense. I agree that I'd rather keep Klebom over Gardiner myself... all I was pointing out was that of the 4 teams listed by Richardson, Edmonton is the one that best fits the description of a team that could move out a D man in order to make room for Gardiner.

Yeah im really curious to see how the Gardiner thing plays out.  There seems to be more and more talk about his back. Like some teams are really scared, and will net even consider offering him a long term deal because of it. 

Could you imagine if a team like edmonton traded away Klefbom to make room for Gardiner & then he spend the next 5 years on the LTIR?  Yikes. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah im really curious to see how the Gardiner thing plays out.  There seems to be more and more talk about his back. Like some teams are really scared, and will net even consider offering him a long term deal because of it. 

Could you imagine if a team like edmonton traded away Klefbom to make room for Gardiner & then he spend the next 5 years on the LTIR?  Yikes. 

I think that's exactly why the situation is playing out the way it is. He is probably going to have to take a 1 year prove it contract to get rid of the doubts otherwise I don't think teams will take him

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

He was the top D man UFA to hit the market, so if he hasn't signed yet, there are a limited number of reasons as to why that would be:

1. He hasn't gotten the contract he wants (be it term or money) and thinks someone will come around if they get desperate enough.

2. Teams are scared of his injury history.

3. He has a handshake deal in place but needs the team in question to clear cap space (be it the Leafs or otherwise)

In the Habs' case, I'd argue it's unlikely that #2 or #3 are a big factor. If he comes here as a UFA and ends up on LTIR, then you don't really get hurt cap wise and GM or the insurance takes care of the salary. It's a pain but if that's the only reason then it's a calculated gamble that could also pay off. And as for reason #3, I just can't fathom a situation where MB trades Petry or Weber to make space for Gardiner... so the only way he's thinking about Montreal is if MB currently has the best offer on the table and he's waiting to see if another team tops it or if MB is thinking trade first and will circle back to Gardiner if he can't pull off a deal for someone better (or on a better contract than what it would take to sign Gardiner). In any case, I think the Gardiner to Montreal train has likely sailed. We do however know that Edm has been shopping Klefbom before. Who knows if new management thinks the same of Klefbom as old management, but maybe they think highly of Gardiner and/or maybe they want to bring fresh blood into the room and think Gardiner has got more personality/character/grit than Klefbom... if MB thinks that way, other old-school GM's may very well too!

56 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

He was the top D man UFA to hit the market, so if he hasn't signed yet, there are a limited number of reasons as to why that would be:

1. He hasn't gotten the contract he wants (be it term or money) and thinks someone will come around if they get desperate enough.

2. Teams are scared of his injury history.

3. He has a handshake deal in place but needs the team in question to clear cap space (be it the Leafs or otherwise)

4. He's just not as good as he and his agent think he is.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

4. He's just not as good as he and his agent think he is.

LOL. Makes the most sense. 

Regarding his back problems,,,, apparently he should have had a surgery to correct the issue but he chose rest and therapy instead. That's likely  why teams are being so cautious.

24 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

Tsn reporting that Pominville would listen to Habs offer. Would he help the kids? Is he to old now to even get a shot with us?.

I wouldn't mind adding him, we're a little thin at RW after trading Shaw and his experience wouldn't hurt I think.

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

I wouldn't mind adding him, we're a little thin at RW after trading Shaw and his experience wouldn't hurt I think.

It is intriguing as Pominville did alright last year in Buffalo however not sure how much we actually need him with all of our younger depth players like Varone,  Byron, Weal and others

44 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

Tsn reporting that Pominville would listen to Habs offer. Would he help the kids? Is he to old now to even get a shot with us?.

20 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

17 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

It is intriguing as Pominville did alright last year in Buffalo however not sure how much we actually need him with all of our younger depth players like Varone,  Byron, Weal and others

Yeah Pominville has been a solid, reliable player for ages  - and he'll still probably put up 30+ points next year at age 36, but I just think there's too much of a log-jam on our roster for wingers right now. Sure, many are unproven but we're not talking about a player who will score 60+ points. We're not talking about a player who could help us out for a few years. We're talking about a band-aid, one year, lower end option & I just dont see why we would even consider signing him. 

Gallagher, Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Weal - and Suzuki (if we indeed consider him there) even guys like Cousins and Peca have played RW at times.  I dont think Pominville, at this stage of his career, is an upgrade on any of them, so its a pass for him.

Having said that, its nice to hear him (via his agent mind you) have nice things to say about wanting to play in montreal. 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Having said that, its nice to hear him (via his agent mind you) have nice things to say about wanting to play in montreal. 

It's nice but still the same old story I think. The local boys tend to miraculously be willing to come home and play another couple of years in Montreal before retirement, yet they prefer to spend their prime years elsewhere. It would be nice for a change if one of those guys came out saying that while they're actually valuable assets and could contribute to building a strong hometown team.

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah Pominville has been a solid, reliable player for ages  - and he'll still probably put up 30+ points next year at age 36, but I just think there's too much of a log-jam on our roster for wingers right now. Sure, many are unproven but we're not talking about a player who will score 60+ points. We're not talking about a player who could help us out for a few years. We're talking about a band-aid, one year, lower end option & I just dont see why we would even consider signing him. 

Gallagher, Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Weal - and Suzuki (if we indeed consider him there) even guys like Cousins and Peca have played RW at times.  I dont think Pominville, at this stage of his career, is an upgrade on any of them, so its a pass for him.

Also Hudon, Evans, McCarron and Barber are options in case of callups so we have a plethora of players that can play RW

34 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Also Hudon, Evans, McCarron and Barber are options in case of callups so we have a plethora of players that can play RW

Agree.   if you could nab a true top 6 RW then fine you maybe sign that guy but honestly Id rather try the 4 guys you've mentioned there instead of JP - at least one of them could surprise & possibly turn into a decent player. 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agree.   if you could nab a true top 6 RW then fine you maybe sign that guy but honestly Id rather try the 4 guys you've mentioned there instead of JP - at least one of them could surprise & possibly turn into a decent player. 

Totally agree and I wouldn't be surprised if Hudon enters camp with a huge chip on his shoulder and really comes out with something to prove. If that's the case I like a third line of 

Lehkonen-Danault-Hudon 

As they played well together in the past even if Danault remains on the top line I would consider keeping Lehkonen and Hudon on a line together

• H_T_L locked this topic