The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

On 8/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, campabee82 said:

You mean EXACTLY like they do with Weber. All too often we see players whip right by Weber when Mete has pinched in and then Mete has to use his speed to get back into the play so it's not a breakaway or 2 on 0. Also Markov may have lost a step but there is ABSOLUTELY no way he can ever be as slow as Weber even on one leg. As for your last sentence there is a simple solution DON'T play Weber and Markov on the same PP unit WOW that was hard to come up with I am so exhausted by trying to figure that solution out. I will add though that the last thing we need is another Dman without moving someone out.

Whoa. Just returned to the forum and tired of this guy's attitude already. Don't care if I made it personal; there's no need for this stuff.

4 hours ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Whoa. Just returned to the forum and tired of this guy's attitude already. Don't care if I made it personal; there's no need for this stuff.

Not sure what you meant by you made it personal cause I never even quoted you but I will say this I have not attacked anyone or had a bad attitude. Sure I did use sarcasm in the quote you highlighted but I really don't view that as worthy of being warned or attacked for my attitude. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though and if you don't like my attitude that's your prerogative. 

This is a completely unsubstantiated rumour (i read it on a different board) but since there's been very little 'real' rumours and there's some interesting components to it, I thought id post it.

Someone has suggested that MB is basically done trying to trade (assets) for a top pairing LD because he feels like we're a couple of years away from having guys who can fill that role.  He thinks we need a band-aid, short term solution, and that option could come in the form of Weber's old Team Canada Partner: Duncan Keith.   Now, yes, Duncan Keith is 36 years old. And yes, he has a cap hit of $5.5m  but the idea is that we would have to give up far less to Chicago than say Sanheim or similar - and the Hawks would retain $2-3m of his salary.  Duncan Keith still scored 40 points last year & his skating is still elite.  

He's signed for 4 more years (till he's 40) so thats a real concern, but if Chicago was to retain say $2.5m  that means our cap hit for Keith would be 3m. Thats amazing for a top pair guy, and honestly you can live with it as he drops down the depth chart over the next couple of years. Even on the 3rd pair its not terrible.

Obviously we all know the Chicago Connection with MB. The Hawks have absolutely loaded up with DMen this summer too (Keith, DeHaan, Maatta, Gustafsson, Koekkeok and Dahlstrom are all LD) so it sure looks like someone is on the move.    I guess the real question is what they'd want in return. A prospect, im sure (as this would at least in part a salary dump) but its something interesting to consider, not sure if there's any validity to it at all. 

Keith - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Chiarot

On 8/11/2019 at 2:48 PM, campabee82 said:

That makes no sense if you trade Price what is left? Who plays Goal full time? While I agree Weber is past his prime already if we trade him now then we are creating a hole on the right to go with the one on the left. We would really shoot ourselves in the foot as far as contending goes. 

Yes but the way contacts are going now. Weber is well worth the money. IMO  

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

This is a completely unsubstantiated rumour (i read it on a different board) but since there's been very little 'real' rumours and there's some interesting components to it, I thought id post it.

Someone has suggested that MB is basically done trying to trade (assets) for a top pairing LD because he feels like we're a couple of years away from having guys who can fill that role.  He thinks we need a band-aid, short term solution, and that option could come in the form of Weber's old Team Canada Partner: Duncan Keith.   Now, yes, Duncan Keith is 36 years old. And yes, he has a cap hit of $5.5m  but the idea is that we would have to give up far less to Chicago than say Sanheim or similar - and the Hawks would retain $2-3m of his salary.  Duncan Keith still scored 40 points last year & his skating is still elite.  

He's signed for 4 more years (till he's 40) so thats a real concern, but if Chicago was to retain say $2.5m  that means our cap hit for Keith would be 3m. Thats amazing for a top pair guy, and honestly you can live with it as he drops down the depth chart over the next couple of years. Even on the 3rd pair its not terrible.

Obviously we all know the Chicago Connection with MB. The Hawks have absolutely loaded up with DMen this summer too (Keith, DeHaan, Maatta, Gustafsson, Koekkeok and Dahlstrom are all LD) so it sure looks like someone is on the move.    I guess the real question is what they'd want in return. A prospect, im sure (as this would at least in part a salary dump) but its something interesting to consider, not sure if there's any validity to it at all. 

Keith - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Chiarot

Interesting, makes some sense

On 2019-08-15 at 6:04 AM, Windoe said:

Interesting, makes some sense

I agree it does make some sense ..Chicago has all left hand shooting d-men and only 2 right shots , only 10 forwards signed and about 3.3 million in cap space ...I cant imagine the flak Bergy would get in letting go of a prospect ( +Hudon? )  and taking on a 36 yr old with 4 years left  but Montreal could also throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder if Chicago took a little back on salary ( say 1.5 )….Keith still has some wheels and is an offensive left hand shot ...worth a look to me as the cupboard is fairly stocked right now ..why not ?..if Keith would be willing to sign off and he could also be dealt at deadline to a desperate team needing to make a splash if things didn't pan out . 

29 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I agree it does make some sense ..Chicago has all left hand shooting d-men and only 2 right shots , only 10 forwards signed and about 3.3 million in cap space ...I cant imagine the flak Bergy would get in letting go of a prospect ( +Hudon? )  and taking on a 36 yr old with 4 years left  but Montreal could also throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder if Chicago took a little back on salary ( say 1.5 )….Keith still has some wheels and is an offensive left hand shot ...worth a look to me as the cupboard is fairly stocked right now ..why not ?..if Keith would be willing to sign off and he could also be dealt at deadline to a desperate team needing to make a splash if things didn't pan out . 

I would take Keith for Hudon + Juulsen + Evans. It would give them 2 more forwards with potential and another decent RHD plus 2 players with NHL experience. It frees up a RHD spot for one of our prospects should they force their way onto the team out of camp. Also gets us a true #1 LHD albeit for 4 years but solidifies that side until we have a prospect step up and we don't have to rush them either. Even if Keith doesn't want to move there are other trades there that are just as lucrative.

13 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Hell, if we're gonna get older we may as well go all out and bring back Larry Robinson.

Would you rather stay the course and play Mete, Chiarot or Kulak on the top line or take Keith and push everyone back? Taking Keith doesn't mean we keep him for the entire 4 years or even the entire year this year he would just be a better stopgap than anything we currently have. I honestly think the whole thing is moot cause MB doesn't see the left side as as big of a weakness now as the fanbase does. I think he feels like he filled the hole with Chiarot who played top pairing last season with big buff. That's sort of the same thinking that got us Alzner though, I really hope Chiarot works out but am not holding my breath. On th flip side Chiarot could surprise as he has better wheels and a harder shot than Alzner.

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I honestly think the whole thing is moot cause MB doesn't see the left side as as big of a weakness now as the fanbase does. I think he feels like he filled the hole with Chiarot who played top pairing last season with big buff. That's sort of the same thinking that got us Alzner though, I really hope Chiarot works out but am not holding my breath. On th flip side Chiarot could surprise as he has better wheels and a harder shot than Alzner.

I actually think he does see it as a weakness, but i am not convinced he will try to fix it simply because he's worried about moving anyone of value. 

15 hours ago, habs1952 said:

And so the Habs will continue to flounder.

agree completely. Trades are always a risk. At some point you have to jump in & go for it or else your current roster washes out while your youth develops.  Otherwise, there's no point in keeping guys like Price, Weber, Petry, Byron etc. 

24 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Geez...maybe you should have read more in public school.

intransitive verb

1: to struggle to move or obtain footing : thrash about wildly
2: to proceed or act clumsily or ineffectually

:banana_dancing:

MerriamWebster:

flounder

noun

floun·der | \ ˈflau̇n-dər  \

plural flounder or flounders

Definition of flounder

(Entry 1 of 2)

: FLATFISH especially : any of various marine fishes (families Pleuronectidae, Paralichthyidae, and Bothidae) that include important food fishes

:frech1:

8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

MerriamWebster:

flounder

noun

floun·der | \ ˈflau̇n-dər  \

plural flounder or flounders

Definition of flounder

(Entry 1 of 2)

: FLATFISH especially : any of various marine fishes (families Pleuronectidae, Paralichthyidae, and Bothidae) that include important food fishes

:frech1:

Now you are just trying to deflect. :7067:

On 8/15/2019 at 1:13 AM, maas_art said:

Keith - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Chiarot

Don't hate it.

marc olivier beaudoin, who has broken some info in the past before other sources, says the habs have shown interest in Jesse Puljujarvi 

No information on what the cost would be but the idea is that he has said he wants to go somewhere where he has a real opportunity to play top 6 wing - and we have that open spot at RW behind gallagher.  

46 minutes ago, maas_art said:

marc olivier beaudoin, who has broken some info in the past before other sources, says the habs have shown interest in Jesse Puljujarvi 

No information on what the cost would be but the idea is that he has said he wants to go somewhere where he has a real opportunity to play top 6 wing - and we have that open spot at RW behind gallagher.  

I know he was a high draft pick , but he hasn't shown much and his attitude I wouldn't give up much a second rounder maybe or maybe someone down the depth chart aways

3 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I know he was a high draft pick , but he hasn't shown much and his attitude I wouldn't give up much a second rounder maybe or maybe someone down the depth chart aways

Yeah i dont think the ask would be high.  My guess a 2nd or maybe a 3rd + a mid-tier prospect.    Its not likely to be a win, but its probably cheap enough to consider.  If he and JK were to make some magic, for example, that could end up being the steal of the year. 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

I would be ok with say Evans for Puljujarvi straight up or something like that

• H_T_L locked this topic