Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

Just now, campabee82 said:

It doesn't matter if they are overpaid if you want quality you have to pay for they earned the right to play where and for however much they want and this is always going to be the case. 

We don't need them. We can continue to build from within.

Everyone wanted to rebuild last year and now we want to chase free agents. We have a superb prospect pool. There is no need for this.

It's embarrassing. The leafs pay Tavares 11 million and the very next season we're going to pay Duch 9-10 million

For Nashville it may make sense. They're already contenders and this could push them over the edge. We're ruining our window by going after him now

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, habsisme said:

We don't need them. We can continue to build from within.

Everyone wanted to rebuild last year and now we want to chase free agents. We have a superb prospect pool. There is no need for this.

It's embarrassing. The leafs pay Tavares 11 million and the very next season we're going to pay Duch 9-10 million

For Nashville it may make sense. They're already contenders and this could push them over the edge. We're ruining our window by going after him now

If we did acquire D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Mcelhinney would be my first choice for backup but i suspect he'd also be the most expensive. He's a 1B starter IMO.

What we could do is offer him a sizable 1 year deal. If we don't sign anyone else, there's plenty of space. I honestly think this is our biggest needs. We missed the playoffs by how much? A few more wins by a back up and we're in

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, habsisme said:

We don't need them. We can continue to build from within.

Everyone wanted to rebuild last year and now we want to chase free agents. We have a superb prospect pool. There is no need for this.

It's embarrassing. The leafs pay Tavares 11 million and the very next season we're going to pay Duch 9-10 million

For Nashville it may make sense. They're already contenders and this could push them over the edge. We're ruining our window by going after him now

I believe by not acquiring some top end tallent you already closed the window. If our window is 2-4 years from now then yes I would agree we could wait but in 2-4 years Price and Petry are 34-36 and Weber is 36-38 they're window shuts in 2-3 years none of them should even still be here at that point and unless we get a couple RHD prospects that are their equal we just have a new hole to fill. The time is NOW not later. MB has for the last 8 years said we are rebuilding when do we finally come out of the rebuild if we lose Weber Price and Petry in 2-4 years

Edited by campabee82
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I believe by not acquiring some top end tallent you already closed the window. If our window is 2-4 years from now then yes I would agree we could wait but in 2-4 years Price and Petry are 34-36 and Weber is 36-38 they're window shuts in 2-3 years none of them should even still be here at that point and unless we get a couple RHD prospects that are their equal we just have a new hole to fill. The time is NOW not later. MB has for the last 8 years said we are rebuilding when do we finally come out of the rebuild if we lose Weber Price and Petry in 2-4 years

I dont think our window is with price, weber, petry. we may luck out in the next year or two, but adding an overpriced free agnet now does nothing for this team, our  window begins 2, 3 or 4 years from now and with Julsen, BrooKs, Mete, Romonov, Primuea. Lekonen, Gallagher, Domi, KK, Susuki, Poeling, Caufield, Drouin, and maybe another player or two from this draft or next years....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I dont think our window is with price, weber, petry. we may luck out in the next year or two, but adding an overpriced free agnet now does nothing for this team, our  window begins 2, 3 or 4 years from now and with Julsen, BrooKs, Mete, Romonov, Primuea. Lekonen, Gallagher, Domi, KK, Susuki, Poeling, Caufield, Drouin, and maybe another player or two from this draft or next years....

So your top 4 dmen are 

Romanov-Juulsen

Mete-Brook

????? Don't think they have the size and physicality on the right to be contenders. By the way Gallagher will also be 32-34 and probably on his way out as well. Like I said before once Weber and Petry leave we fall off badly on the right

Edited by campabee82
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

So your top 4 dmen are 

Romanov-Juulsen

Mete-Brook

????? Don't think they have the size and physicality on the right to be contenders. By the way Gallagher will also be 32-34 and probably on his way out as well. Like I said before once Weber and Petry leave we fall off badly on the right

Ok I retract my statement about size I didnt realize Brook was 6'4" I kind of assumed from what I heard about his skating he was more of a Juulsen type of player. That actually isn't a bad D then lol. I personally don't want to wait another 3-4 years of being outside the playoffs though

Edited by campabee82
Link to post
Share on other sites

June 29. Two teams are apparently quite interested in Gardiner. Friedman said:

“We’ve heard Montreal’s name with him. We’ve heard Minnesota’s name with him. I have a feeling there is something we are missing on him in terms of who is interested. I know the dream is that Toronto can work it out. I am not expecting it."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

June 29. Two teams are apparently quite interested in Gardiner. Friedman said:

“We’ve heard Montreal’s name with him. We’ve heard Minnesota’s name with him. I have a feeling there is something we are missing on him in terms of who is interested. I know the dream is that Toronto can work it out. I am not expecting it."

I would personally pass on Gardiner he is decent offensively but not quite what we need on the top pairing

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

June 29. Two teams are apparently quite interested in Gardiner. Friedman said:

“We’ve heard Montreal’s name with him. We’ve heard Minnesota’s name with him. I have a feeling there is something we are missing on him in terms of who is interested. I know the dream is that Toronto can work it out. I am not expecting it."

I also read that there are 4 teams in on Panarin Isles, Rangers, Panthers and a mystery team. I don't think it's the Habs but with how well MB plays trades close to the vest I wouldn't be surprised. I think it's more likely to be either the Hawks or maybe a western conference team. He rejected a meeting with Jersey so they are out and we know he has a list of criteria that eliminates a whole bunch of others so one wonders if he is considering to remain in Columbus as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Mcelhinney would be my first choice for backup but i suspect he'd also be the most expensive. He's a 1B starter IMO.

Rumored by Friedman to have 3 teams who have been interested in him, with Montreal being the one that's been confirmed... I'm not sure he's the most expensive. More cost than Kinkaid but not as much as Mrazek, Lehner, Varlamov, Talbot, etc. And there's still Reimer who might get bought out by tomorrow... a lot of pundits think there are more available back-ups than there are spots for them to land, so it might help to keep cost down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ott and Tor apparently have a tentative deal in place according to Bobby Mac, sending Zaitsev and another asset to Ottawa for Cody Ceci, but it won't happen until July 1st, so Toronto pays the 3M signing bonus and Melnyk saves the money. Would give Toronto the added cap space they need to sign Marner or someone else...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Ott and Tor apparently have a tentative deal in place according to Bobby Mac, sending Zaitsev and another asset to Ottawa for Cody Ceci, but it won't happen until July 1st, so Toronto pays the 3M signing bonus and Melnyk saves the money. Would give Toronto the added cap space they need to sign Marner or someone else...

Ceci is a nice player for them too, fits a need. If OTT isn't getting something else, its a terrible move for them

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Rumored by Friedman to have 3 teams who have been interested in him, with Montreal being the one that's been confirmed... I'm not sure he's the most expensive. More cost than Kinkaid but not as much as Mrazek, Lehner, Varlamov, Talbot, etc. And there's still Reimer who might get bought out by tomorrow... a lot of pundits think there are more available back-ups than there are spots for them to land, so it might help to keep cost down.

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to lock him up until Primeau is ready in 2021. Mcelhinney is probably the most reliable and is likely interested in as long a term as possible. So if we need to agree with a longer term we need to ,make sure we can trade him down the road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to lock him up until Primeau is ready in 2021. Mcelhinney is probably the most reliable and is likely interested in as long a term as possible. So if we need to agree with a longer term we need to ,make sure we can trade him down the road.

I think it's also important to remember the expansion draft... you have to have one goalie to be exposed with some NHL experience who is signed through 21-22, so wouldn't be surprised if we offer 3 years to whoever it is. Primeau gets 2 years in the AHL and comes up in 2021-22 after the ED if he's ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian Wilde says he estimates based on what he's heard that Habs have a 60% chance of signing Duchene. Adds that reports that had Duchene locked into the Preds a week ago have kind of subsided and that people now think Duchene leaning towards Habs based on some emotional attachment to the team... there is zero doubt the team would be better off with Duchene than without in the short term. As I detailed, we'll have lots of contracts expiring in 2 years, which will open up flexibility as to who you re-sign. And frankly, the Habs' window to win with Price and Weber is now. You can't wait for two years to sign a big name to help those two. Like I said, I think the Duchene signing could still work IF they then turn around and address the bigger LHD need by trading someone like a Drouin or Tatar to acquire the LHD they need. I also wonder if Danault might become expendable if they opt to go Duchene-Domi-JK-Poehling down the middle...

On a separate note, also some rumors that someone might try to offer-sheet Lehkonen. They can give him up to slightly over 4M without surrendering more than a 2nd round pick, so it could force MB to pay him 4M+ to keep him...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Ok I retract my statement about size I didnt realize Brook was 6'4" I kind of assumed from what I heard about his skating he was more of a Juulsen type of player. That actually isn't a bad D then lol. I personally don't want to wait another 3-4 years of being outside the playoffs though

Actually Brook is  6.1 around 195, there other forwards and dee I did not mention as well like a player Cale Fleury, 6.1, 200 pounds and plays a punishing game,  had 9 goals in the AHL league this season, that was sixth among all rookie deeman,, the  5 ahead all played  more games then Cale... all I am saying is we seem to have a younger pool of top end talent as opposed to and older pool of top end talent. I dont think we should be chasing the big free agent now, but maybe in a couple of years ... Owe, and Gallagher just turned 27 so in 2 years he is only 29. 3 yrs 30,  4 yrs 31, he will be that veteran in that young core we have in KK, Suzuki, Domi, Droiun, Mete, Julsen, Brooks, Poeling, Caufield...

The backbone of the team right now is Price, 31, 32 in August, not Weber or Petry, Hopefully he plays at an Elite Level for at least the next 5 or 6 yrs which is highly likely, and then the last 2 or 3 at high level like Luongo did. 

Petry and Weber right now while being really good hockey players, are expendable if I am GM. If they can bring in younger parts to be added to our young core,  I am all for that, I still think even with or without them we challenge for a playoff spot right now.   The only thing i would be after is a top LHD and someone that fits in to our young core. no older then 25. I would be willing to move one of Petry  or Weber in the process. 

Edited by caperns61
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, habsisme said:

Ceci is a nice player for them too, fits a need. If OTT isn't getting something else, its a terrible move for them

Is Ceci signed for this year though? What's his contract status?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Is Ceci signed for this year though? What's his contract status?

From what i'm seeing,,,,he's a RFA that is unsigned. He's coming off a deal that paid him 4+ mill, so logic dictates he's getting a raise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Actually Brook is  6.1 around 195, there other forwards and dee I did not mention as well like a player Cale Fleury, 6.1, 200 pounds and plays a punishing game,  had 9 goals in the AHL league this season, that was sixth among all rookie deeman,, the  5 ahead all played  more games then Cale... all I am saying is we seem to have a younger pool of top end talent as opposed to and older pool of top end talent. I dont think we should be chasing the big free agent now, but maybe in a couple of years ... Owe, and Gallagher just turned 27 so in 2 years he is only 29. 3 yrs 30,  4 yrs 31, he will be that veteran in that young core we have in KK, Suzuki, Domi, Droiun, Mete, Julsen, Brooks, Poeling, Caufield...

The backbone of the team right now is Price, 31, 32 in August, not Weber or Petry, Hopefully he plays at an Elite Level for at least the next 5 or 6 yrs which is highly likely, and then the last 2 or 3 at high level like Luongo did. 

Petry and Weber right now while being really good hockey players, are expendable if I am GM. If they can bring in younger parts to be added to our young core,  I am all for that, I still think even with or without them we challenge for a playoff spot right now.   The only thing i would be after is a top LHD and someone that fits in to our young core. no older then 25. I would be willing to move one of Petry  or Weber in the process. 

Yeah I saw that Brook and Fluery were bigger than I thought even Juulsen is 6' 1 or 2. Perhaps it's just my perception of the guys that made me think they were smaller LOL. I also agree that we will be competitive and maybe even contenders down the road but why now try and be contenders now as well I think as a fan or part of management you have to be thinking what can I do to win the cup both now and in the future. Weber and Petry are expendable definitely and LHD is our major issue headed into the season. My thought and feeling is though is that Leskinen is going to be able to fill that roll in the interm at least until Romanov comes over near the end of the season. I also feel like with both having already played against men and coming from the bigger ice they will actually be better as they have less space to be beaten on. So to me at least it's worth the risk and we could focus on other needs like the backup and an elite forward. I hope that your right about Price being able to play at an elite level for 5-6 years but with his recent run of groin injuries we can't be too sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of a bigger rumor coming out now... Elliotte Friedman saying that there is lots of interest in Anders Lee and that Montreal is one of the teams considering him. He thinks both Nashville and Montreal are among teams in on Lee and that both might be thinking about him if they don't get Duchene (which also indicates that maybe neither team is certain of which way Duchene is going to go)...

Eric Engels adds that Habs have contacted Lee as well as Ferland and that he wouldn't be surprised if they've contacted Dzingel, even though he hasn't heard any confirmation and even though rumors of Dzingel to Chicago are picking up.

And finally, Friedman adds that he doesn't know exactly what it is and if it's Lee (or maybe it's a trade or RFA or something else) but he says he's heard from a lot of people that "Montreal is planning something big." Guess we'll see but maybe some potential for fireworks from a couple of pretty reputable sources!

Link to post
Share on other sites

... further to that thought, seems to be some rumblings from less reputable sources of a trade in the works, contingent upon a free agent signing here. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something along the lines of Drouin (Colorado and Columbus rumored as possible destinations) or Shaw or someone heading out if they can get Duchene or Lee in.

Barrie or Murray could be targets as D men from those two places...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

... further to that thought, seems to be some rumblings from less reputable sources of a trade in the works, contingent upon a free agent signing here. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something along the lines of Drouin (Colorado and Columbus rumored as possible destinations) or Shaw or someone heading out if they can get Duchene or Lee in.

Barrie or Murray could be targets as D men from those two places...

There are strong rumors Barrie is on the move. I could see a deal involving Drouin vs Barrie as the primaries if we can sign a guy like Duchene or Lee.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

There are strong rumors Barrie is on the move. I could see a deal involving Drouin vs Barrie as the primaries if we can sign a guy like Duchene or Lee.

He's a righty, so not sure how the fit would work, but we know Colorado tried to move him to Vancouver at the draft and it fell through. He's definitely available, and there have been ties of Drouin to Colorado to reunite him with MacKinnon... I think I'd want more from Colorado if we were going down that route though. Drouin 1v1 for Barrie wouldn't be the best fit for us as much as it helps Colorado unload a guy who is a UFA in one year that they don't seem to want, all the while getting a player they seemingly covet. I mentioned Columbus as the other rumored site, and Drouin there also makes a bit of sense with the exodus of scorers they've seen... Murray is the guy there they seem to be okay with letting go. Or maybe we can swing bigger and ask for Werenski, whom I see as the perfect fit here. But if it's Murray, I know Clb has also looked at trading Anderson in the past... I could see something along the lines of Drouin + Lehkonen for Anderson + Murray, perhaps contingent upon us finding a forward on the free agency market...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...