The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours

kinot-2

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Zuccarello heavily rumored to be going to Minny... Michael Russo, who covers the Wild, says Wild out on Jake Gardiner and that Habs are the team to watch in that dossier. The sum of rumors right now suggests to me Gardiner and not Duchene is the guy MB might be closest to landing. I wonder if he can also grab Lee or Dzingel or someone else up front too if he's doing that though...

hmm it feel like he's cleared a lot of cap space for just Gardiner. I would be okay with Gardiner (he's defensive liability but he gives us exactly what we need). 

I was thinking Gardiner would go for 7x7 (too much already). I hope to god its not more

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

hmm it feel like he's cleared a lot of cap space for just Gardiner. I would be okay with Gardiner (he's defensive liability but he gives us exactly what we need). 

I was thinking Gardiner would go for 7x7 (too much already). I hope to god its not more

Some have Myers going to Vancouver for 7 years and about 7M AAV. Gardiner is rumored to be running in the 7-8M range... too much if you ask me. I'd rather give up a 1st in a deal to get Ghost or a 2nd and 3rd to get Leddy, or something like that.

So where is MB going now? If it's Anders Lee (Mtl and Nas were both rumored to be in for whichever team lost out on Duchene)... then I'm good with that, so long as he clocks in under what Duchene takes. And I'd love for there to still be a trade for a LHD. If it's Gardiner alone, I'm disappointed. If it's an RFA offer sheet, then it's exciting (as long as it's not 4 first rounders), but I would be extremely surprised if a team lets a star walk for less than 4 firsts, so MB had better have a Plan B if that's all he's got.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

So where is MB going now? If it's Anders Lee (Mtl and Nas were both rumored to be in for whichever team lost out on Duchene)... then I'm good with that, so long as he clocks in under what Duchene takes. And I'd love for there to still be a trade for a LHD. If it's Gardiner alone, I'm disappointed. If it's an RFA offer sheet, then it's exciting (as long as it's not 4 first rounders), but I would be extremely surprised if a team lets a star walk for less than 4 firsts, so MB had better have a Plan B if that's all he's got.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Chris Johnston and Dave Pagnotta both saying Duchene will sign with Preds, expected to clock in lower than thought at about 8M AAV. I would have done that easily.

8 million isn't bad given Hayes

It's gotta be Gardiner then, but we didn't HAVE to trade Shaw

If it was a trade it would have happened by now. Signing bonuses tomorrow but if anything, Habs would take that on

I would LOVE Aho, I think he's going to be an ELITE player

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

8 million isn't bad given Hayes

It's gotta be Gardiner then, but we didn't HAVE to trade Shaw

If it was a trade it would have happened by now. Signing bonuses tomorrow but if anything, Habs would take that on

I would LOVE Aho, I think he's going to be an ELITE player

1. 8M seems decent for Duchene.

2. Gardiner and Lee (outside of Panarin) maybe the two guys left you'd have to clear space for...

3. Trade could be contingent on a signing happening.. e.g Islanders signing Panarin and a D man like Methot and want to clear space by dealing Leddy or Habs signing Lee and then being okay with trading Drouin for a D man, or so on... I think Panarin likely the key now to other moves. If Panarin chooses NYI, then lee likely moving on and Habs maybe contenders in that regard. Nashville probably out on Lee with Duchene signing. Chicago was in on Lee too and maybe out now too with Shaw, but hard to know. Lee wanted to go back to NY, but maybe Panarin forces his hand. LA and Ana both reportedly won't go after big names. SJ, Tor don't have the cap space. Who else is going after Lee other than us if Isles move on? There will be others but not sure where he sees himself. Rangers? Florida?

4. Would love Aho, Laine, Point, Tkachuk, Werenski, etc. sure. But what offer is not going to be matched? Only guys I can see NOT being matched are ones where the return is 4 firsts and that's not worth it. I don't want Marner or Point or Aho for 4 firsts... w can find a guy via trade if that's the case.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. 8M seems decent for Duchene.

2. Gardiner and Lee (outside of Panarin) maybe the two guys left you'd have to clear space for...

3. Trade could be contingent on a signing happening.. e.g Islanders signing Panarin and a D man like Methot and want to clear space by dealing Leddy or Habs signing Lee and then being okay with trading Drouin for a D man, or so on... I think Panarin likely the key now to other moves. If Panarin chooses NYI, then lee likely moving on and Habs maybe contenders in that regard. Nashville probably out on Lee with Duchene signing. Chicago was in on Lee too and maybe out now too with Shaw, but hard to know. Lee wanted to go back to NY, but maybe Panarin forces his hand. LA and Ana both reportedly won't go after big names. SJ, Tor don't have the cap space. Who else is going after Lee other than us if Isles move on? There will be others but not sure where he sees himself. Rangers? Florida?

4. Would love Aho, Laine, Point, Tkachuk, Werenski, etc. sure. But what offer is not going to be matched? Only guys I can see NOT being matched are ones where the return is 4 firsts and that's not worth it. I don't want Marner or Point or Aho for 4 firsts... w can find a guy via trade if that's the case.

Thats why I mention Aho in particular because apparently they trying to cheap out on him. If we offered him 10 x 5, it would cost two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd

14 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Thats why I mention Aho in particular because apparently they trying to cheap out on him. If we offered him 10 x 5, it would cost two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd

I still think Carolina would match and if they didn't want to pay, they would easily find a taker via trade to give them an asset or assets already established in the NHL though.

Luke Schenn rumored to TB for about 700k.

Perry to Dallas for 1.5M salary plus bonuses, one-year contract...

And Renaud Lavoie saying Clb upping their offer to keep Panarin and could be an offer in range of 13M per season. Eek. If Panarin stayed in Clb, that would likely keep Lee with Isles, so Habs have to hope that card doesn't fall.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

I still think Carolina would match and if they didn't want to pay, they would easily find a taker via trade to give them an asset or assets already established in the NHL though.

Are offer sheets strictly money based or can they include other clauses like NMC? If the answer is yes , that could hamper trying to trade the guy for better assets then the picks.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Are offer sheets strictly money based or can they include other clauses like NMC? If the answer is yes , that could hamper trying to trade the guy for better assets then the picks.

Not sure that another team has to honor those types of things... really don't know the answer one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

i do know you can't offer RFAs NMC during their RFA years. 

Not sure that another team has to honor those types of things... really don't know the answer one way or the other.

Its a poison pill. They used to have it in the NFL but got rid of it, I'm sure nothing like that anymore in NHL. I believe contract was that the player had to pay a certain amount of games in a city, and another was that he had to be highest paid offensive lineman on the teams... they were very clever 

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

you're probably right about matching and trading 

I know a lot balk at giving up four 1st's,,, but for a Marner or Laine i'd be OK with it. Those guys should put you over the edge as far as playoffs go, so those picks are likely not lottery range. Our prospect cupboard is in good shape right now and whose to say you couldn't pick up another 1st rounder down the road. 

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

I know a lot balk at giving up four 1st's,,, but for a Marner or Laine i'd be OK with it. Those guys should put you over the edge as far as playoffs go, so those picks are likely not lottery range. Our prospect cupboard is in good shape right now and whose to say you couldn't pick up another 1st rounder down the road. 

Four 1st's = potentially 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023... in 2022 and 2023, you potentially have lost Gallagher, Petry, Danault, and Tatar as all are UFA's by then. Weber may be retired. Price will be 35+. Not a given those aren't lottery picks.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Four 1st's = potentially 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023... in 2022 and 2023, you potentially have lost Gallagher, Petry, Danault, and Tatar as all are UFA's by then. Weber may be retired. Price will be 35+. Not a given those aren't lottery picks.

yeah i agree, we can't go over 10.5 million. It just doesnt make sense for us

I would call that our window. If it doesn't pan out and we go another rebuild, then the guy himself should get you back one or two of those first rounders and some of those other's you mention could potentially do the same. There's also no guarantee the guys you draft are no brainer NHL'ers. You know Marner and Laine will not fall off the charts production wise barring injuries. Sure it's a risk, but if we're shooting for the Cup with Price,,, now is the time to go all in IMO.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Chris Johnston and Dave Pagnotta both saying Duchene will sign with Preds, expected to clock in lower than thought at about 8M AAV. I would have done that easily.

So if Duchene is going to Nashville why is he suddenly following Habs. I just don't understand the reasoning for it.

13 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah i agree, we can't go over 10.5 million. It just doesnt make sense for us

I think offering 10.5 is an easy match for their current teams. They could likely get much better return in a trade. Go big or go home if you want to get serious. Anything else would be a waste of time IMO. If you go 5 at 11.5 to 12.5 I can't see a team like the Leafs matching. They recently made some room but not enough to match that kind of offer without doing more gutting ( not to mention it pisses off guys like Mathews and Tavares) The Jets probably fall in the same boat.

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Something is going to happen tomorrow, this much is certain. There was no need to trade Shaw and the return was fine but nothing spectacular. We are signing or offer sheeting someone tomorrow

I'd be disappointed if we made room simply to sign 2 overpaid middling UFA's rather then one overpaid big fish. Gardiner and Lee don't cut the mustard in my book. I consider them consolation prizes and we don't need to go that route.

11 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'd be disappointed if we made room simply to sign 2 overpaid middling UFA's rather then one overpaid big fish. Gardiner and Lee don't cut the mustard in my book. I consider them consolation prizes and we don't need to go that route.

I dont love Gardiner but he has the biggest impact on our team from all ufa except panarin 

• H_T_L locked this topic